Author Topic: Who Is Left From The Battle of Yavin?  (Read 14215 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Who Is Left From The Battle of Yavin?
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2007, 02:36 PM »
http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4698.msg65189#msg65189

It is a pretty easy custom and I guess while technically right I don't see a lot of clamoring for a coated Dodonna.  I would not be shocked to see him down the road in a Battle Pack or soemthing

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2007, 03:55 PM »

I would actually like this one made. I remember a prototype popped up years ago for an accessory set. Too bad it never got released.

Thank god it didn't!  It was the POTF2 Fleet Trooper + POTF2 AT-ST Driver...   :-X  That's one ugly figure.

A new one would be nice, but I always hoped for him with that hover-sled in the deluxe line or some such.  I'd love a Yavin Tech though, and the Yavin Petty Officers...  Also would like to have the Yavin War Room Officer...  If you look closely, he looks like the regular technicians until you see he has on pants and a shirt similar to a Fleet Troopers except the color is like the technician's jumpsuit.  He's the guy wearing the headset talking to the pilots during the battle.  His shirt has a collar ala the RFT's shirt.

It's one of those little uniform differences, plus the guy has a speaking role too.  It'd make a neat figure to me, but it's something most people don't notice.  He's like a technician officer or some such it seems.  I believe he's also visible at the briefing, I believe sitting with the pilots, but you have to have a good eye to catch him.  Not sure if he's on your list Scott but he should be as he's different.

Anyway, there's two types of Rebel Petty Officers (ballcap guys) too...  One type wears a fairly baggy, ill-fitting uniform with more pockets.  The other type wears a more form-fitting uniform, and often have an ascot/scarf on.  The uniform is REALLY distinctly different when you look at it, and it gives the impression of a lower rank with a more "functional" combat uniform for the ill-fitting uniformed group.  Their has are also slightly different in that one bears a multi-color insignia while the form-fitting one does not.

So again, it's minor to some, but technically there are two separate officer types...  They're also kept noticeably separated in the Yavin Ceremony scene, so it's not just a costuming screw-up.  It was clearly intentional.  They're kept separate throughout the lines.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2007, 04:01 PM »
The guy talking to the pilots is Del Goren...here's there :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Thank god it didn't!  It was the POTF2 Fleet Trooper + POTF2 AT-ST Driver...   :-X  That's one ugly figure.

I didn't care about the figure, it was the accessories that I wanted. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 9, 2007, 02:47 AM »
Ah, ok, thanks Scott...  Good call then.  Nice spotting him.  I guess I missed him on my skimming.  :-[

I still champion the uniform differences in the officers in the crowd.  I was flipping through a FC mag at the grocery store this evening, and there's some real crisp shots of the ceremony...  Check it out.  Clearly unique, and noticeably separated uniform groups.  Only really two distinct styles, but they are intentionally kept into separate groups.  If they can do the black jumpsuit Imp with hats, I'll take the two Rebel officer types at the ceremony for sure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 9, 2007, 09:01 AM »

I would actually like this one made. I remember a prototype popped up years ago for an accessory set. Too bad it never got released.

Thank god it didn't! 

Couldn't agree more. That was when figure sculpts were moving away from He-Man. It would have been a major step backwards.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 9, 2007, 12:54 PM »

Thank god it didn't! 

Couldn't agree more. That was when figure sculpts were moving away from He-Man. It would have been a major step backwards.

Wouldn't have been worth it for the accessories?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 9, 2007, 01:01 PM »
With a totally subpar kitbash figure?  I think the focus needs to be on a good figure, first and foremost.  Packing a crap figure with a cool accessory is like polishing a turd.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 9, 2007, 03:35 PM »

Thank god it didn't! 

Curse you and your points. :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 9, 2007, 07:42 PM »
With a totally subpar kitbash figure?  I think the focus needs to be on a good figure, first and foremost.  Packing a crap figure with a cool accessory is like polishing a turd.

If you recall those accessory sets were only throwing out repacked or kitbashed figures anyway.  Hasbro's focus was actually on new accessories, hence they are called Accessory Sets.

Anyways, I think most of us would have rather of seen the Yavin set than THIS.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: December 9, 2007, 11:36 PM »

No, but my reasoning why is that there's a better set of base figure parts to use, even if you still wanted to just do a kitbash with all the bits and pieces...  POTF2 pack-in TIE Pilot legs (articulated at the knees), "Imperial Officer" body, and generic head w/RFT helmet... 

By no means is it ideal, but it's a semi-poseable, decently sculpted figure...  Buying figures for the accessory is only cool when you get at least a half-decent figure with it.  Endor R2 that's out now comes to mind...  I'd say the recent Tatooine Luke, but...  Well, eh.  I guess I won't say that.  I have bought those on sale just for the tower though, it's so sweet.  But only on sale...   :-\

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2007, 12:26 AM »

If you recall those accessory sets were only throwing out repacked or kitbashed figures anyway.  Hasbro's focus was actually on new accessories, hence they are called Accessory Sets.

Anyways, I think most of us would have rather of seen the Yavin set than THIS.

I'm very aware of those SAGA packs as well as that Yavin base prototype.  It used the POTF2 Rebel Fleet Trooper mondo-beefcake head on an Imperial Scanning Trooper body.  And it looked TERRIBLE.  I'm glad Hasbro shelved that one.  If they revisit the idea down the road I'm sure we'll get a much better figure than that piece of garbage.  A ladder or two doesn't impress me enough to want such a completely fugly figure.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Just different styles of collecting Nicklab - I'd either pitch the figure or give it to a kid because yes the figure sucked.  My Yavin scene would look a lot nicer with some more accessories though... and after the thousands of dollars I've thrown down for this hobby, I'd gladly fork over $10.00 more for some decent accessories... and looking back, this was 5 years ago that it would have come out.  I'd say that if it DID come out 5 years ago, most would be glad that it did because we'd at least have some nice Yavin accessories.

Anyways, I agree Jesse that the figure could have been a lot better - I was surprised that they didn't toy with the idea of using the POTJ Imperial Officer body as the base for it... and yeah the Tatooine Luke this year isn't a good figure, but I bought 6 of them for the vaporator.  Well worth it to me.   :)