Author Topic: Vintage Kenner/LJN Indy Toys  (Read 17161 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Vintage Kenner Indy Toys
« Reply #30 on: March 7, 2008, 07:06 PM »
Talk about sucking!!

While I was getting out my complete vintage Indy collection and setting it up in a dispaly cabinet, I tried to push the Staff of Ra staff into the hand on Map Room Indy.  I forgot that he also had the hard plastic whipping action hand and broke the thumb!  Now alll of my Indy figs are tumbless, except thye one in the Nazi Uniform.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Kenner Indy Toys
« Reply #31 on: March 7, 2008, 07:51 PM »
Wow, that does suck. Sorry to hear that. :-\

Does anyone know if there were any Vintage Kenner Indy commercials? The SW ones always give me a good laugh.  ;D
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Kenner/LJN Indy Toys
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 12:16 AM »
In my ebaying of vintage Indy stuff over the past year, I rather lucked into something fairly nice. 

I bought a large lot of figures and the Well of Souls playset from a fellow to fill a pretty substantial hole in my collection, though some of the stuff included were duplicates.  I didn't have the Well of Souls playset but wanted the Ark at the very least and getting the rest of the set wasn't so bad, as I already had the Streets of Cairo and Map Room playsets for the figures included in them (really just trying to get the loose figure collection done).  So in addition to the complete Well of Souls playset there were four figures: Marion, Indy, Toht and the Cairo Swordsman.  There was also an extra baggy of snakes/torches/etc. for the playset, so a nice overall package. 

When the item arrived (it made its usual stop at chuckles' place along the way) there was something extra in the package that wasn't in the picture for the auction when I bought it.  There was also no mention of the extra either in the auction description or in communication with the seller.  I'm guessing he just had it around and didn't think much of it.  I talked with DSJ about it and we managed to come to the conclusion that it's the box for the JC Penney four pack. :o  The figures weren't complete as Marion was missing her stand (still not sure if the four pack version had a stand) and Indy was missing his gun as well. 

Anyway, if you're still interested after that, here's a couple of pics of the package that I finally got around to taking:

Front:

Side with proofs of purchase intact:

Pretty nifty addition to the collection anyway. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 12:39 AM »
That figure box sure is sweet Brent, nice score man.  :)  ;D

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39 AM »
Very awesome, a nice little bonus.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Vintage Kenner Playsets
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2008, 10:53 PM »
I decided to dig out my vintage Kenner Raiders toys today.

I really wasn't interested in the figures, I was really looking for the old Kenner playsets. I always liked the Well of Souls and Map Room sets when I was a kid, so I wanted to have them to display with my new Hasbro figures.

I have to say, even though the paint apps on these sets could be better, I think it's a real shame that Hasbro didn't consider re-releasing the Well of Souls set as part of the new line - 'cause this playset still holds up pretty well and if I didn't already have it, I think I would definitely be looking to pick one up on eBay.

In case you're not familiar with the Kenner Well of Souls playset, you can check out a pretty nice photo gallery of it, courtesy of CoolToyReview.com.

The next set that I wanted to take a look at again was the Map Room playset. The map of Tanis could have totally been included with the Dessert Robe Disguise Indy figure (as opposed to the Ark) - it would have also been an opportunity for Hasbro to produce a nice looking Staff of Ra. The Ark of the Covenant could have instead been packed with a Ceremony Belloq figure and then a remake of the vintage Belloq figure could have been in the regular line (but I digress). So now I've basically taken that exact playset and replaced the Indy it came with, with the new Deluxe Indy w/Ark figure. Just like with the Well of Souls set, if I didn't already have this, I would definitely want to pick it up on eBay, here's a link to the photo gallery from CoolToyReview.com.

I also pulled out my mostly complete Cairo Streets set (I'm missing one of the baskets and some of the fruit). This set is the weakest of the three, but since I wanted to have something in a little scene with the Cairo streets figures, I figured this set is better than nothing. A better color and paint application on the cart itself would probably help the set a lot - I could see them re-releasing this set packed with a couple of those Cairo Henchman figures to help it sell better, but w/o the lure of getting some army builders, I can't really see the value in this set. Here's the link to the photo gallery from CoolToyReview.com.

So what does everyone think? I think re-releasing the Well of Souls and Tanis Map Room sets in the new line should be a no-brainer for Hasbro. I think a modern paint application to both of these sets would be all they would need to bring them into sync with the new line. The Well of Souls set could easily fit into a box that is the same size as the Truck and Troop Car. Since they already released the Map Room Indy figure, they probably missed the boat with releasing the Tanis Map Room set as an accessory for a deluxe figure, perhaps they could release it with a Cairo version of Belloq, even though Belloq didn't actually go into the map room, perhaps they could pack it with Belloq, the correct length Staff of Ra with the real head-piece and a wrong height staff with poor recreation of the head-piece so you could re-create a scene that was described in the movie but took place off-camera.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Kenner Playsets
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2008, 11:15 PM »
I think re-releasing the Well of Souls and Tanis Map Room sets in the new line should be a no-brainer for Hasbro.

Unfortunately, a re-release of the Kenner sets can't happen.  From the Hasbro Q&A sessions:

[snip]...If the playsets and vehicles get an update, will they utilize the molds from the vintage toys like many of the current Star Wars vehicles or would they be all new sculpts?  (YF, 08/17/07)

[snip]...One thing that is known is that NONE of the original Indy tools exist anymore, so we will not be going back to the vintage tools.

Hasbro confirmed this at Toy Fair.  None of the Kenner tools/molds for Indy exist, so anything that they do in this new line will have to be new... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 4, 2008, 11:17 PM »
On the bright side, at least I didn't bring it up (again) this time. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Kenner Playsets
« Reply #39 on: May 4, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Hasbro confirmed this at Toy Fair.  None of the Kenner tools/molds for Indy exist, so anything that they do in this new line will have to be new... 

Thanks Jeff - sorry if this has already been discussed.

That is a real shame that those molds don't exist anymore. No wonder they just didn't re-release the Tanis Map Room set in the Deluxe Line.

Not to sound like I'm bragging, but now I REALLY am glad I've kept these three sets all these years.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2008, 08:34 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: May 5, 2008, 02:22 PM »
I'd love to just have the maproom floor in decent shape, and the Well of Souls complete without the little things (torches, snakes, etc.) for display purposes.  Streets of Cairo would be nice too just for "set pieces" to display with Marion, the Arab thug, and Swordsman too...  Those things are long gone from my collection though I'm afraid.  I think GI Joe destroyed and lost most of the pieces to them over the years.

The Maproom though, that would be nice to go with the Maproom Indy.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 5, 2008, 07:34 PM »
I have considered time and time again to go after a carded Indiana Jones figure but always back away.  I think because I would then want to go after EVERY Kenner item.  I know Indy would lead to Marion would lead to Sallah would lead to Belloq would lead to....you get the idea.  Then it would poor over in the playsets, etc.