Author Topic: Hasbro Indy Playsets  (Read 10841 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Hasbro Indy Playsets
« on: December 8, 2007, 01:30 PM »
Looks like perhaps two playsets are on tap.

I'm gonna spoil the enthusiasm here by pointing out the Playskool line is called Adventure Heroes and the speculated playsets are called the Ultimate Adventure Playset and Sword Adventure Set. Look for a Spidey & Friends-type playset.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2008, 12:44 PM by Jeff »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #1 on: December 8, 2007, 03:35 PM »
That's a good point Muftak, there may be no "playset" at all for anything but the Adventure Heroes...  It didn't specify one way or another of course.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if that's how it turns out.  You never know though...  The Indy line's something I think might do better with a playset than SW does, but I bet you're right on it Muftak.

I guess we'll see...  They're sort of pricey I think, so there's some hope I suppose?  I would've figured the little figures would run cheaper in general.  I don't collect galactic heroes to really have any basis for that assumption though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #2 on: December 8, 2007, 04:01 PM »
That is a good point. I didnt even think about the adventure hero line having playsets. I guess it would make sense then for the ark to be in a deluxe set. Two more months and we will find out.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
playset
« Reply #3 on: December 8, 2007, 09:20 PM »
I hope Muftak's wrong.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2007, 02:05 PM »

I'm gonna spoil the enthusiasm here by pointing out the Playskool line is called Adventure Heroes and the speculated playsets are called the Ultimate Adventure Playset and Sword Adventure Set. Look for a Spidey & Friends-type playset.

That's probably the most likely scenario here.  Especially since it's the Hasbro Star Wars team that's doing double-duty by also taking on the Indiana Jones line.  Besides, how would it look for them to repeatedly say "playsets don't sell well, we're having trouble marketing them" and then that same product development team comes back with an Indiana Jones playset.  It would be a totally inconsistent turn of events if they did come out with a playset for the IJ line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2007, 03:51 PM »

That's probably the most likely scenario here.  Especially since it's the Hasbro Star Wars team that's doing double-duty by also taking on the Indiana Jones line.  Besides, how would it look for them to repeatedly say "playsets don't sell well, we're having trouble marketing them" and then that same product development team comes back with an Indiana Jones playset.  It would be a totally inconsistent turn of events if they did come out with a playset for the IJ line.
They'd probably say "Star Wars  playsets don't sell well".  ::)
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2007, 04:15 PM »
Something to think about ... since they're more or less "real world" environments some of the Indy playsets could be cannibalized from playsets made for other lines, or the molds could be reused somewhere in the future.

Star Wars environments are so specific that most playsets are a production dead end from that standpoint. I mean, they pulled off reusing the Ewok village for the Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves toys since it's pretty much your generic treehouse village, but I don't think most of the SW environments would be so forgiving.
« Last Edit: December 9, 2007, 04:18 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:57 AM »
It would definitely be nice to see an Indy playset for the basic figures, but I'm not holding my breath that it would be something collector oriented.  The last two playsets that Hasbro made for Star Wars were pretty weak -

It was nice to see them made, but really they weren't very film accurate... Geonosis was better than Mustafar though; which goes to show just how bad Mustafar is.

Anyways, regarding the $7.49 pricetag on Indy figures, I seem to recall a couple times in the past where Target started off quite a bit higher than Walmart and even highter than TRU on the initial price on Star Wars figures.  I'd expect to see these quite a bit cheaper than that within a month of their release.  Maybe $6.00 range.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:37 PM »

They'd probably say "Star Wars  playsets don't sell well".  ::)

You're probably correct; but until they actually made a good playset, their research is flawed.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro Indy Playsets?
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 07:36 PM »
From the Toy Fair Press Release:

Aspiring adventurers can also share the thrills with friends by navigating Indy through some of the movie series' most iconic escape scenes with the new INDY'S ULTIMATE ADVENTURE PLAYSET. (Approximate Retail Price: $39.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: Fall 2008)

So, the Indy line gets a Playset, but SW doesn't?  That ought to piss a few people off.  ;)

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 07:44 PM »
I think they are talking about the one for the adventure(galactic hero size) line.  Although I do recall a playset though for the 3 3/4 line i think it was the temple from the new movie and it was a retool of mustafar playset.   
although Hasbro will say it is because it is a movie years is the reason Indy is getting a playset.   Star wars gets no playset love
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 08:32 PM »
From the ToyFair Press Release...
"As he enters the dangerous Lost Temple, Indy finds himself confronted with the most devious series of traps and puzzles he has ever encountered. Kids help Indy navigate boulders blasts and quicksand traps! "

Didn't one spy report say the the IJ playset was just a Mustafar re-hash?  This certainly sounds like it.  Boulders instead of lava, quicksand instead of lava...hmmm.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 02:32 AM »
Well - a picture of the playset is up on the Hasbro website and it is indeed a re-hash of the Mustafar playset from ROTS.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 03:26 AM »

Disappointed?

To be honest, I think it looks decent for what it is.  Better than the Mustafar set...  Is this a lack of knowledge of the scene though?  I dunno...  Maybe.  I like it though for now.  As others have noted, it apparantly comes with balls as well.  Very nice.

Also, I'd personally say this sort of counts as a pseudo playset as well...

While probably not ideal for Indy's escape sequence from Raider's opening, it's sort of neat for a $10 figure I think.  Definitely puts one on the start of a diorama if they wanted to expand that.  The figure looks a little weak however so I'm not so sure I'll buy that set myself, but I think for kids that's pretty appealing looking.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 01:04 PM »
Is that a Mustafar playset rehash. It kind of looks like it.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!