Author Topic: Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?  (Read 49989 times)

Offline jts21

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Droid Factory Build A Figure
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 11:04 AM »
Star Wars 3 ¾” Basic Figures Assortment
Pushing the action figure pack ins in an altogether new direction, Hasbro will be offering the first build-a-figure promotion in the 3 3/4 “ basic line. The Droid Factory waves is currently planned to include 30 figures in 2008, each with an additional piece that together will create one big droid. Let the speculation begin on this one.

My guess would be the figure it makes is the Corporate Alliance tank droid. It's big and a droid so it meets both requirements to match up with hasbro's description. It would also go along pretty nicely with the at-ap and at-te comming out this year.

Also based on the fact they said it builds one big droid, i doubt its General Grievous. He's a cyborg so he's not really a droid. Plus they specificly said each of the 30 figures come with a piece that will combine together to form one big droid. I don't know why people are saying they think it will be otherwise since hasbro layed it out to us pretty clearly.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Star Wars 3 ¾” Basic Figures Assortment
Pushing the action figure pack ins in an altogether new direction, Hasbro will be offering the first build-a-figure promotion in the 3 3/4 “ basic line. The Droid Factory waves is currently planned to include 30 figures in 2008, each with an additional piece that together will create one big droid. Let the speculation begin on this one.

My guess would be the figure it makes is the Corporate Alliance tank droid. It's big and a droid so it meets both requirements to match up with hasbro's description. It would also go along pretty nicely with the at-ap and at-te comming out this year.

Also based on the fact they said it builds one big droid, i doubt its General Grievous. He's a cyborg so he's not really a droid. Plus they specificly said each of the 30 figures come with a piece that will combine together to form one big droid. I don't know why people are saying they think it will be otherwise since hasbro layed it out to us pretty clearly.

Whew boy, I can only imagine how big those pieces have to be to make this thing:

I think it's really really unlikely, but I'd welcome it for sure if it were true.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 11:41 AM »
I hope it's not going to take 30 figures to build it.  What about the areas of the country that seem to miss certain waves of figures?  Hasbro needs to also consider that.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 12:29 PM »
Ok, I didn't see anyone else post this, but what if it's the Large flying droid in the droid factory that carries 3PO on a platform for awhile?

That's one droid that's huge and would fit the profile.

Thirty pieces to make it?

Maybe not, but other than the load-lifter, Homing Spider droid or tank droid, I can't see there being much else left. Besides, it is marked as being from the "Droid factory" so my suggestion has merits.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 02:12 PM »
Plus they specificly said each of the 30 figures come with a piece that will combine together to form one big droid. I don't know why people are saying they think it will be otherwise since hasbro layed it out to us pretty clearly.

Well, the wording is very limited, actually, and this was not an official Hasbro statement.  I seriously doubt this will be one item made from 30 pieces.  One big droid is relative- I would call 6 pieces making a Probe Droid a "one big droid" from several smaller pieces.  Still, it's just speculation at this point.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 02:37 PM »
Ok, I didn't see anyone else post this, but what if it's the Large flying droid in the droid factory that carries 3PO on a platform for awhile?

Sounds like a good candidate to me...

As for what it could be, makes sense to me that it will be one figure per wave.  I'd think one possibility would be the droid that drops 3PO in the droid factory, maybe a new spider droid, perhaps a Grievous, etc.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 02:39 PM »
I like the idea of them doing the build-a-figure thing finally.  Droids are a good topic since they are background characters for the most part and most folks could live without them if they don't buy everything. 

I'd prefer the "1 per wave" idea, but the 30-piece mega-droid sounds interesting as well (provided of course, the excecution was well done).  I guess we wait until Toy Fair for that one.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 02:55 PM »
The one per wave might get to be excessive, but one or two waves like this per year might work.

Certainly one wave next year to test the waters. Hopefully it will sell well enough that we do get more waves like it. Not neccessarily droids either.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 03:21 PM »
They could do this for a lot of things.

Dagobah Wave - build your own knobby spider

Hoth Wave - build your own Wampa

Tatooine Wave - build your own Eopie

etc.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 04:20 PM »
They could do this for a lot of things.

Dagobah Wave - build your own knobby spider

Hoth Wave - build your own Wampa

Tatooine Wave - build your own Eopie

etc.

lol, "give birth to a wampa," "give birth to an eopie" promotion.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 04:25 PM »
I saw this thread and all I could think of was the vintage droid factory.  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 05:40 PM »
Super Articulated Probe Droid!

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 07:01 PM »
Has it been stated that it is definitely going to be over the line and not the wave which means one wave equals 4 to 6 figures then next wave.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:07 PM by Desfiy »

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 11:01 PM »
I hope it's not going to take 30 figures to build it.  What about the areas of the country that seem to miss certain waves of figures?  Hasbro needs to also consider that.

Cough* Canada*cough
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 09:43 AM »
I don't see how it can be over the the 30 figures seeing how we've already seen wave 1 and partial wave 2 packaged. Maybe it starts with wave 3, which is why we haven't had conformation beyond wave 2 yet.

Okay, one can obviously see that I failed to comprehend the collective meaning of the words printed in the report. The 30 figure are part of the program. :P
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:07 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."