Author Topic: Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?  (Read 49976 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Droid Factory "Build A Figure" Idea?
« Reply #150 on: June 24, 2008, 09:50 AM »
Speaking as a "retired" army builder (who still builds squads of 5 of troop/army type figures), I can say that I'll readily have extra droid parts. Not all of them to complete a whole droid, but some of them. I'll most certainly trade parts or outright sell them to people who want them who don't have anything in trade. Cheap of course. I'm not out to make a profit.

Tentatively I'll say $1.50 for each part plus shipping. Definitely not more. Maybe less depending on the price of figures in my area.

I'm not taking orders for these, so please no one call dibs until I know which parts I'll have extras of. I can say I'll have several extras from the Legacy Clone Wars wave as I want multiples of the Quarren, Mon Cal and Scuba Trooper. So whatever parts they contain, I'll at least have a few extras of. (Again no calling dibs though until I get those parts and post that I have them for trade/sale.)

People for whom I've traded with in the past will receive preferential treatment. Sorry, but it's only fair to them, since I've received good deals from them. One hand should wash the other, so to speak. Though it won't hurt to ask me even if you've never dealt with me before. Who knows how this whole build-a-droid thing is going to succeed or not.
-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 24, 2008, 03:27 PM »
There are alternatives to missing pieces. You could trade with others on the board. You could cast your pieces or find someone that can do that for you.

What worries me is how secure these parts will be in the packaging. I can already see figures that will be pillaged just for the droid part. We saw this with the UGH stickers. We saw this with the coins and will will see this with the droid parts and the gun boxes.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2008, 05:44 PM »
Just to confirm, was the final verdict that none of the wave 1 or 2 build-a-droids were in any of the movies?  I'm finally to the point where I need to figure out where to put them in the shelves...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Just to confirm, was the final verdict that none of the wave 1 or 2 build-a-droids were in any of the movies?  I'm finally to the point where I need to figure out where to put them in the shelves...

I think that technically R4-D6 and R4 I9 are the same figure as when hasbro made R4-I9, they produced it as a black droid when in actuality is was supposed to be blue (like the current R4-D6). The D6/I9 droid was seen on the Death Star and in the Yavin Hanger, the same droid was used for both scenes.

As for the others, I think they are post-ROTJ EU astromechs.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:30 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 30, 2008, 08:23 PM »
Thanks - that's good to know. 

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 1, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Any idea as to why there is a leg hole on the bottom half of the astro droids?  Is that for a really tall astro? Or a 4 legged astro?  Or is there some other add on piece or an old mold thing?  Just curious if anyone has any ideas.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 1, 2008, 01:35 PM »
Any idea as to why there is a leg hole on the bottom half of the astro droids?  Is that for a really tall astro? Or a 4 legged astro?  Or is there some other add on piece or an old mold thing?  Just curious if anyone has any ideas.

I think the consensus is tthey were designed with an extra hole on purpose to add a little flexibility and "playability" to the Droid Factory droids. Adam Pawlus had pics up of a Frankendroid he assembled out of Astro and C-3PX parts...basically you can build your own droid with astro legs in the bottom holes and protocol arms in the top.

I'm not gonna get much of anything out of waves 1-4, so I'm probably going to wind up with my own funky Frankendroids.

And I really hope Hasbro carries the same peg size forward on any newly sculpted droids (like the new WED droid next year) so the parts can swap out for all sorts of fun.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 1, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I see the potential for lots of fun droid buiding.  All we need now is to re lease the old droid factory set! ;D

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 1, 2008, 10:45 PM »
Just to confirm, was the final verdict that none of the wave 1 or 2 build-a-droids were in any of the movies? 

If they were (which they probably weren't), and you blinked, you would've missed 'em. 

I'm finally to the point where I need to figure out where to put them in the shelves...

What's wrong with putting them where they look good and completely disregard which movie they may or may not have appeared in?  I think they display nicely blended in with my OT droids, but that's me.       

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 1, 2008, 11:53 PM »
That's just how I roll.  Things that actually came out of the films get better real estate.
« Last Edit: September 1, 2008, 11:54 PM by Rob »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: September 2, 2008, 01:37 AM »
I tend to give droids to Pilots...  So they wind up on Rebel shelves, or around Jawas which are loaded with droids right now on my shelves (Star Tours was the beginning, and it's spiraled).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #161 on: September 2, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I must say that I find the whole BAD concept pretty awsome so far.  I can live without the R7 droids as I don't follow the EU, But everything else is totally cool.  It looks like except for the R7 droids, everything made or announced so far has been in the movies.  I found this excellent site with pictures of all the background astromechs left for Hasbro to make, and that also shows where R4-J1 and the upcoming R2-N6 are in the movies: 

http://www.angelfire.com/droid/astromechs/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 3, 2008, 09:20 AM »
Is there anything else to that link? Unfortunately, the page comes up pretty much blank. Could be a safari thing.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #163 on: September 3, 2008, 11:29 AM »
It works for me.  It's a little slow and has some popups since its an angelfire site, but its the only place to see all those obscure droids and screenshots that I'm aware of.  Anyone else having problems?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 3, 2008, 11:43 AM »
I get the site just fine on my ****** old computer running Explorer...