Author Topic: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)  (Read 45124 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: G.I. Joe - The Movie (Live Action)
« Reply #255 on: August 9, 2009, 02:14 PM »
What If G.I. Joe Were Gay?

Does anyone else think this "reporter" didn't even see this movie?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #256 on: August 9, 2009, 02:26 PM »
I don't see how making anyone gay arbitrarily would change anything. I just think this 'reporter' got shot down by a girl that maybe looked like Sienna Miller/the Baroness at one point in his life, and now just formulated this wonderful piece of modern journalism as some type of revenge.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 9, 2009, 05:46 PM »

Give me a goddamn break.   ::)

That was the stupidest thing I've ever read.  And the Eiffel Tower didn't buckle after being covered with "slime," it was partially eaten by nano-mited, which Destro explains in an early expository scene.  If I wanted a soul-searching examination of forbidden love, I sure as hell wouldn't want it to have anything to do with GI Joe.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 9, 2009, 09:22 PM »
Well I guess anyone can write for newsweek now. That was stupid.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2009, 12:27 AM »
It looks like it make over $50 million this weekend.  That's has to be good money no matter who you love.  I wonder what expectations were (as far as revenue for weekend #1)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 10, 2009, 12:43 AM »
It looks like it make over $50 million this weekend.  That's has to be good money no matter who you love.  I wonder what expectations were (as far as revenue for weekend #1)

The budget was $175 million 

It's likely to drop off in a bad way next week if the word of mouth isn't good.  So $56 million is a great first week, but I think it's going to be downhill from here.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56 AM »
Okay here's the official Dressel Rebel movie review:

Spoiler rich so be careful.

Overall grade:

B-

The movie was better than I thought it would be until "The Doctor" Cobra Commander became more heavily involved in the last 30 minutes or so.

Storm Shadow was the best thing this movie had going, I'm holding out hope that he's not actually dead and climbs up out of the frozen water before the base exploded.  He was only stabbed in the chest, not decapitated or anything so there is a chance he's not actually dead.

Snake Eyes was awesome too, but I expected that from Ray Park.

Cobra Commander was hokey, stupid, corny, and way over the top; and he really hurt the movie very badly.  There wasn't anything good about it.  I think they should have kept the blue hood like the comics and TV show.  I understand they canned it because it was too much like the KKK hood.  I don't agree though, it's not white or pointy so I think it's kind of a stretch.  Especially since there is no racial component to Cobra, they want to kill everybody.

Destro was pretty good until he burned his face.  When CC made his face all metally and he said, "Finally I've taken my place in a long line of McCullens" my fiancee actually burst out laughing.  It was really corny.  And really bad.

I thought everything in the middle of the movie was great.  Paris was plain good fun.  

I've given up on any of these Hasbro type movies being slam-dunk fantastic.  Until George Lucas gets a hold of one it'll probably stay pretty bad.  Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes really saved this film, but nothing saved Transformers 2.  That one was bottom-of-the-barrel low.

Oh I did learn something yesterday, I went to a 10:10 AM showing of this film on a Sunday morning, and there is still an audience full of people eating popcorn and drinking Coke.  For breakfast.

Anyhow, here's to hoping Storm Shadow is alive and helps keep G.I. Joe 2 out of the toilet.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 10:09 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 10, 2009, 12:50 PM »

I really don't expect anything else from Newsweek.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 10, 2009, 01:14 PM »
and there is still an audience full of people eating popcorn and drinking Coke.  For breakfast.

That's good for your business, no?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 10, 2009, 05:57 PM »
Spoilers - don't read

and when *SPOILER* you see that Cobra sigil on the side of the submarine, I totally got chills.

I totally missed that.  Was looking for the sigils throughout the movie - especially on Miller's chest, but obviously Cobra doesn't exist until the end of the movie.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but I didn't really care too much for it other than it being a nice end of Summer popcorn fun flick.  Great big fight scenes, sexy women, and big explosions oh my!  Was kinda cool seeing the 30 something year old dads bringing their kids in there with them.  It kinda felt like watching a cartoon for the most part at least IMO.

I'm not going a review route, but rather some totally random observations..

I thought the young SE & SS flashback fights were way too aggressive for the kiddos.  Can see a bunch of kids either wanting to learn karate or wanting to beat the **** out of each other.

Wayans - All I could think about was In Living Color or Scary Movie everytime they showed his face so it was very difficult to take him seriously.  I did enjoy one of his one-liners - after he got stuck with the needle.

Brandon Fraiser...Why did they have to keep his role in the movie so secret?

Saw some Star Wars carried through in this movie which were very obvious.  The Baroness looking back and forth between good and evil and then finally "saving the day"  The end fight with SE & SS had the TPM & ROTJ end dual written all over it.

"The doctor" created Destro and his new self - Cobra Commander at the end.  Complete with stupid mask and stupid voice.  Seems like they couldn't find time to weave that into the movie, so they just puked it all up at the end.

It's set up good for the sequel though.

Oh...and Dressel hates Transformers.   :o
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #265 on: August 10, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Was Branden Frasier portraying Gung Ho or Sgt Slaughter? I have heard both. Maybe neither.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #266 on: August 10, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Ah, finally the kiss of death. Brendon Frasier = Me not paying to see this movie.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 10, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Was Branden Frasier portraying Gung Ho or Sgt Slaughter? I have heard both. Maybe neither.

I think it's Sgt. Stone actually. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 10, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Ah, finally the kiss of death. Brendon Frasier = Me not paying to see this movie.

He's only in the movie for less than a minute so you should be okay.   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 10, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Spoilers - don't read

Oh...and Dressel hates Transformers.   :o

I didn't hate it.

I despised it.