Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight  (Read 45641 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight
« Reply #180 on: July 19, 2008, 09:53 PM »
I thought it was great.  I'm glad I saw it in IMAX; those scenes were amazing.  Loved everything about it, especially Heath Ledger's turn as the Joker, except for Rachel.  Man, I'm glad she got killed.  She was the worst part of BB, and even with a new actress, the worst part of TDK.

I can't help but think TDK was really about Two-Face, and the third was supposed to be all Batman vs. Joker, which would have been awesome.  I can't imagine they'd even try to replace Heath Ledger, and I can't imagine anyone in Hollywood even wanting to try and step into those shoes, but if they did...ah, nevermind.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2008, 03:28 AM »
I caught the film at the midnight showing Friday morning but didn't get around to posting on it.  I think it's one of the best films I've seen.  I loved the entire movie and think that Ledger deserves all the press he's been getting.  He elevated not only the film but everyone around him. 

I was especially impressed with Eckhart as Two-Face.  I hadn't read much of anything about the film going in and thought that the film was going to be more of a setup for him as a future villain than as a player in this film.  It'll be interesting what they decide to do about a villain for a sequel.

I agree that trying to replace Ledger with someone wouldn't quite cut it.  He played the part so perfectly that I can't think about someone else trying to take it on right now, especially not in 2 to 3 years for a part 3. 

I think the Riddler would be fun and agree with the idea that showing Batman as a detective would be cool.  I also wouldn't be opposed to a female villain like Catwoman, Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn.  I actually think Harley Quinn could be a way to pay homage to the Joker without having him in the film.  She could take up his mantle while he's cooling his heels in Arkham Asylum or somewhere. 

I posted this to the PSWCS list after seeing the film Friday night but I'm making a prediction that this film will break $200 million domestically for the weekend.  Be interesting to see if it pulls that kind of bank.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2008, 10:03 AM »
Best. Movie. Ever.

Okay, an exaggeration, but only slight. The last movie I walked out of that wowed by was Shawshank Redemption.

It's hard to really impress me, but this movie did in spades. Smart script, epic/human themes, total geek moments, all handled nearly perfectly in tone. I almost wanted to agree that the movie was too long, but when I saw the overall point of the story, you can't tell it in any shorter amount of time without compromising the film's heart and soul. Truly an outstanding effort and compared to some of the "oscar" films I often see and feel are far superior to the usual summer-fare, this one deserves a ton of oscar nods, including best picture.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2008, 12:18 PM »
  I also wouldn't be opposed to a female villain like Catwoman, Poison Ivy or Harley Quinn.  I actually think Harley Quinn could be a way to pay homage to the Joker without having him in the film.  She could take up his mantle while he's cooling his heels in Arkham Asylum or somewhere. 

I had that exact same idea. Maybe Harley and some Joker goons could try a bank job, or even try and break the Joker out of Arkham, but be thwarted by Bats, similar to Scarecrow and his gang in TDK.

The Riddler gets my vote for a third movie villain. Someone to challenge Bats intellectually, and he could really put his detective skills to work.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 20, 2008, 12:26 PM »
'Dark Knight' sets opening weekend box office record!

-- A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2008, 12:50 PM »
The movie was just incredible.  Ledger's version of the Joker was amazing...it would be tough to find a replacement actor.

Definitely the best movie this summer.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2008, 01:43 PM »
All right, all right, I'm going to stick my neck out here and say I want to see more Joker.  And there's at least one guy that I think could pull it off:  Cobra Commander.

AKA Joseph Gordon Levitt.  He bears more than a passing resemblance to Heath Ledger, and under the make-up...well...he could get the look.

Additionally, he's a very good actor (3rd Rock from the Sun, not so much, but he's great in "Brick" and "Stop-Loss").

I know, I know, it would be virtually impossible to do, and nobody would want to go in and try and mimic Ledger's performance or try and make it their own...but I'd love to see it happen anyway.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2008, 01:47 PM »
I want to see Catwoman..I really think that is why Rachael went by the waste side...the Joker and Catwoman are the two villians that most get into Batmans head.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2008, 09:14 PM »
SPOILERS

Saw this last night.  This was one of the greatest movies I have ever seen.  I can't even say definitively that it's not THE best I've ever seen.

The Joker was AWESOME.  He burned so much **** down I was starting to wonder if even the movie theater was going to be left standing by the time the movie was done.  I was just totally engrossed, mouth agape.

A couple quick things:

In this shot above, did anyone catch that huge KNIFE come out of Joker's shoe when he delivered this kick?  My girlfriend buried her face in my arm (not a fan of violence) the moment that blade shot out of the front of Joker's shoe and I kinda got startled and didn't really see if it cut Batman's midsection.

Now THAT was a good old-fashioned ass whooping.  I thought when Batman put that chair under the doorknob he was flat out going to kill Joker.  If ever there was a moment for Batman to break his code, that should have been out.  That Joker can take a beating, can't he?  I can't believe he wasn't even unconscious after his head went through that one-way mirror.

Anyone catch Joker without the makeup when Gordon (supposedly) and the Mayor were shot?  I thought that was a nice detail and they could have shown him more without the makeup and clown dress.

The homemade movie that went to GCN (CNN) of this guy before Joker killed him added a really realistic modern day touch to how sinister Joker is.  Did anyone think of the VT killer's tapes or some kind of Al Qaeda video when Joker's tape aired?  Crazy ****.  A few people just called out "He's nuts" and "He's so crazy" in the theater after that video scene.

The 1 thing I did not like in this movie was the cheapshot that was taken at Bush by Morgan Freeman's character in the surveillance scene.  I won't say anything more about here, just sayin', I noticed.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2008, 09:59 PM »
Ended up seeing it yesterday and enjoyed it alot.  Enjoyed the beining Bank robber and the magic trick the most. 

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2008, 04:34 AM »
Well the boat scene at the end was much like the SAW movies ( not the blood and guts) but the same concept kill someone to save your own life type of mind ****.  I think the movie had a lot of moments here and that were meant to be tributes to other movies. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2008, 08:18 AM »
I saw it on Sunday.  I thought it was excellent, but I don't think it's deserving of all the over-the-top praise that's being heaped upon it.  And while Ledger's Joker was great, I think talk that he can't be replaced is silly.  There are many actors who could come across suitably creepy given that make-up.

And the whole tongue thing didn't work for me.  It seemed kind of hack.  He was much better when he wasn't doing that every few words.

That said, top-notch film.  There were a few happy coincidences that helped the plot move around, but I can't complain too much.  I was genuinely enthralled through large segments of the film.  On the edge of my seat, as they say.  The only thing I felt was a little off-base was Batman's desire to be replaced.  In the comics he does his work because he's driven.  If there were a hundred other people cleaning up crime in Gotham he'd still be at it.  He doesn't want to get back to living it up as a care-free billionaire.  All he wants is to punish criminals who are above the law.  In the movie, Bruce acted as if Batman was an unwanted burden.  A necessary evil, almost.  In the comic, he wouldn't relinquish his quest under any circumstances.  It's his singular focus.  His purpose in life.  He almost seemed whiny by comparison in the film.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2008, 09:17 AM »
Saw it yesterday and i have to say it was awesome. A little depressing becuase you have to believe they were going to go with the Joker again for the next one. My biggest problem with the movie was the chick they got to replace katie holms. Every time she was on the screen all i could think of was the Twilight Zone episode Eye of the Beholder. She looks just like one them.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2008, 09:29 AM »
  I think the movie had a lot of moments here and that were meant to be tributes to other movies. 

I can say for sure this was not the case, that's not the way these guys work. Once you try to force moments into a story, that story falters.

'Dark Knight' sets opening weekend box office record!

-- A Warner Bros. executive says the Batman sequel "The Dark Knight" has taken in $155.34 million to top "Spider-Man 3" for best opening weekend ever at the box office.

The figures released Sunday show "The Dark Knight" more than $4 million ahead of the $151.1 million first weekend for "Spider-Man 3" in May 2007.

But, Spider-man 3 sold 300,000 more tickets after adjusting for inflation.  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2008, 09:52 AM »
You don't adjust actual ticket sales for inflation, just money.    ;)

If Spidey 3 sold 300,000 more tickets, it sold 300,000 more tickets.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj