Author Topic: TOY FAIR 2008!  (Read 25129 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: TOY FAIR 2008
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2008, 09:37 AM »
:o how huge man? biggerlonger then the queen amidala ship or just as big long  as the AT-AT?

I would say it's as long as Amidala's ship with the width the same as well (side engine to engine, maybe). The stance is lower to the ground but still very tall. It's easily the most impressive vehicle to date. Its old school GIJOE Rolling Thunder/ shuttle BIG.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2008, 12:11 PM »
I always feel like a little kid when it comes time for Toy Fair each year kinda like a Ralphie and his Red Ryder syndrome. 

Not sure why though.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2008, 12:43 PM »
I know how you feel,  I put this up there with Christmas Day, Stanely Cup playoffs, Midnight madness and snow days. 

I got so excited about the AT-TE new the other day I called my wife and told her.   Needless to say she doesn't share my exciment. instead I got "What are you Twelve?"   See if I let her play with it when I get it.
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I know how you feel,  I put this up there with Christmas Day, Stanely Cup playoffs, Midnight madness and snow days. 

I got so excited about the AT-TE new the other day I called my wife and told her.   Needless to say she doesn't share my exciment. instead I got "What are you Twelve?"   See if I let her play with it when I get it.

Heh heh... I hear ya bro. My fiancee calls ma a 7 year old with a paycheck. That about sums it up right. lol
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline ctonra

• Jedi Initiate
  • J316
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2008, 05:32 PM »
WHO HUNGRY FOR SOME INFO   

STAR WARS products available in 2008

STAR WARS CLONE TROOPER HELMET

(Approximate Retail Price: $29.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

Join the army of heroic clone troopers by donning an authentic CLONE TROOPER HELMET, as seen in the upcoming STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS animated feature film and TV series. Includes signature phrases and awesome voice amplifier to truly disguise your identity.

STAR WARS CLONE WARS ULTIMATE LIGHTSABER

(Approximate Retail Price: $34.99; Ages 6 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

The STAR WARS CLONE WARS ULTIMATE LIGHTSABER set allows young padawans the opportunity to create more than a thousand different lightsaber combinations using the customization components, including signature Jedi lightsabers from STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS.

STAR WARS AT-TE

(Approximate Retail Price: $99.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

Star Wars fans and collectors will travel at light speed to toy stores for the chance to take the new six-legged CLONE WARS vehicle for a spin. Measuring two feet long, the AT-TE can transport an amazing 20 clone troopers and is packed with galactic sounds and firing features.

STAR WARS 3 ¾” CLONE WARS BASIC FIGURES

(Approximate Retail Price: $7.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

In July, Star Wars fans will be introduced to the first new wave of characters based on STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS. Each figure has an exciting action feature. In 2008, a total of 28 different action figures will be launched.

STAR WARS 3 ¾” BASIC FIGURES DROID FACTORY

(Approximate Retail Price: $7.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

Collect and build a never-before-created droid action figure with every new wave of “Droid Factory” figures. Beginning in July, one part of the unique droid will be packaged with each action figure. A total of 30 figures will be released in 2008, with seven unique droids that kids of all ages can collect, build and combine.

STAR WARS TRANSFORMERS ASSORTMENT

(Approximate Retail Price: $14.99; Ages 5 & up; Available: July 26, 2008)

Heroes and villains from Star Wars become toys that are MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE in the marriage between two of the universe’s most powerful properties: Star Wars and the Transformers brand. A total of 18 STAR WARS TRANSFORMERS figures will be available in 2008.

STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED DELUXE LIGHTSABER
(Approximate Retail Price: $19.99; Ages 4 & up; Available: Spring 2008)
The Force Unleashed Deluxe Lightsaber provides young Jedi three new features. Authentic lightsaber lights and sounds, color change activation from green to red and, for the first time ever, spring-powered Sith Spike handle guards that pop-up at the touch of a button – allowing the blade to go from Jedi to Sith mode instantly and dramatically! Kids love the lights and sounds that provide additional realism to the toy, inspired by STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED, the incredible upcoming videogame from LucasArts

STAR WARS MIGHTY MUGGS
(Approximate Retail Price: $9.99; Ages 6 & Up; Available: Now)

Welcome to the “trendy side” of the Force! The world of Star Wars and ultra-hip vinyl collectibles collide as Hasbro unveils its new urban-style MIGHTY MUGGS, featuring 22 figures including perennial favorites HAN
Stimpy, sometimes your wealth of ignorance astounds me.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 06:15 PM »
Okay, allow me to disect this from my perspective for a moment please...

STAR WARS CLONE TROOPER HELMET-meh. Inaccurate faceplate. It was unlikely for me to get this anyway, now more so.
STAR WARS CLONE WARS ULTIMATE LIGHTSABER-meh again. I've so been over toy lightsaber since getting my first MR one.
STAR WARS AT-TE-sweet Mary Mother of God, it's about damn time. TWO FEET LONG! WHOO-HOO. That is SO close to scale that I won't squabble over that. Sounds as well AND holds 20 clones! YES. Oh and only $99!!!! Hell's yeah. As I said before, that's three for me for sure, with maybe two to three more after those.
STAR WARS 3 ¾” CLONE WARS BASIC FIGURES-action feature WTF?!? Action feature? Bleh. Of the possibility these may be animated versions or hybrid version already had me pushing away from them. Action features? No way.
STAR WARS 3 ¾” BASIC FIGURES DROID FACTORY-Okay, cool concept. But I wonder which NEVER BEFORE CREATED droids we will get? There are 7 different ones. Speculation?? I'm down for these I suppose. Can't wait to see which build a figures these are though.
STAR WARS TRANSFORMERS ASSORTMENT-really depends on which characters. I've only bought ones I really want as opposed to 1 of every 1.
STAR WARS: THE FORCE UNLEASHED DELUXE LIGHTSABER-see previous entry regarding toy sabers.
STAR WARS MIGHTY MUGGS-not wasting my time or money on these. I don't need another line to collect. Especially one that is doomed to fail. I give this subline no more than 2 years starting now, 3 if it's extremely lucky.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 06:20 PM »
7.99 a figure?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? >:(

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 06:29 PM »

And I believe that is my breaking point... With animated-style heads and $8 pricepoint, I'm going to be passing on all of the Clone Wars figures. I guess I'll have to wait until the weekend to see what exactly the figures look like before I make a final decision. But at this point I don't mind scaling back quite a bit. I'm thinking I may go as far as almost exclsuively OT with only a few PT and EU figures if I really like them. The AT-TE is still a must have but other than that I think 2008 will be the start of a big cutback for me. I'm running out of room and I need to stop spending so much money on toys.
"This is the way."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 06:48 PM »

I'd blame that in part from Mattel.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 07:38 PM »
Man, 28 figures debuting for Clone Wars?  Wow!  Yeah, the action features scare me.  Hopefully those are not to obnoxious.  I am still not convinced kiddies love action features on 3 3/4 figures.  But oh well. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01 PM »

And I believe that is my breaking point... With animated-style heads and $8 pricepoint, I'm going to be passing on all of the Clone Wars figures.

Mine, too. I've bought a few figures for over $8, like the vintage or McExclusives, but those are because I really wanted them. I can't see myself buying every figure at $8 apiece. If this is the path of this years figures then I will most likely be even more selective than I already am. I can't see how figures can jump a whole dollar point from the previous year, especially if the CW figs are going to have the detractor (maybe not for kids) of the animated heads and action figures. Hasbro is really making it easy for me to say pass to a lot of things this year. Of the 3 waves I've seen I only want 4 figures, maybe 5. Plus I'll probably wait on some of the Evolutions Jedi and Fett that I want and figure they'll be released on their own card someday.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:02 PM by Darth Vlad »

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Well, two things: 7.99, thanks Hasbro for 13 really great years, but this is where I get off.  I just can't keep doing it at that level, no matter how good the product is, and it is good.  They may be throwing in a part of a droid with every figure to somehow justify the price increase, but it's not enough.

I am jazzed for the movie, the prospect of another midnight madness, but the Clone Wars combo of action features, 'hybrid' styling and of course the price makes these undesirable.  These will be a much easier pass than any 'classic' offerings and I suspect this will be true for a lot of other collectors who have been out there for a long time.  I have a feeling Hasbro may double dip the hell out of this, but I will be very interested to see who and how many wait for the eventual 'realistic' heads/whatever else is not animated.

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I paid 7.99 retail at TRU for Episode 1 figures in 1999!  (Things in NYC are always more expensive.)

Sure 7.99 is high, but all new assortments start high (ROTS, AOTC) then drop after the initial push. 

What astounds me is that there are 28 CW figs, and 30 DF figs, thats 58 carded figures AFTER July!  Plus 8 in the ROTS Wave, 8 in TFU, and 8 in the Tatooine wave!  That's an extra 24.  Plus 58?  That's 82 craded figures in one year!! Maybe the Tatooine wave is wave 1 of DF, but that's still 74 figures.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 11:09 PM »
$7.99
ACTION features
Animated or Hybrid style

suck suck and more suck

Only way I'm getting these is IF they are realistic AND I can get them on clearance...

Toy Fare will answer these questions (or so we all hope). Unfortunately I think there are going to be a LOT of disappointed people.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2008, 11:26 PM »
On one hand, I look at the price increase like this - if you buy all 30 "droid factory" figures, you get the pieces for 7 unique droids.  By my count, that's $240 bucks (30 x $8) to get 37 figures, which works out to about $6.50 each (plus tax of course). 

Not that different from what we are paying now for the 30AC stuff, so I am fine with it (especially if a few of the figures still have a larger pack-ins, like Ak-Rev with the drum and what-not).  That's just me though.  If you don't buy them all and you are not into the 7 bonus figures/droids, I can see why the increase would bother you.

On the other hand, for the Clone Wars figures (with no announced pack-ins yet), it's a harder pill to swallow at $8 each...  I still have to decide where I'm going with that line.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender