Author Topic: TLC Millenium Falcon  (Read 231633 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 Millenium Falcon Upgrade
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2008, 07:02 PM »
$300 Falcon? No thanks, I'll pass. I paid that much for the 6ft TRU Falcon display from years ago. That one lends itself to being a huge playset.

If this "new" one isn't freakin' HUGE, it doesn't stand much of a chance at doing well at retail, especially at that pricepoint.

Also taking this all into account, this new Falcon for $300 better include:
Cockpit big enough to fit FOUR SITTING action figures
Electronics
Gunner stations that fit a Luke and Han figure
Smuggler units that actually fit the figures
Totally decked out interior as a playset, most importantly the chess table area and Han's computer termianl area.
Be at least TWICE as long as the previous version
Seriously well done pack in figures. Han at the least.

Anything short of that and I can see this being a flop at retail.

One last thing, if it's 3ft long, what retail store will carry it? It won't be a mass retail item. So that leaves us with either Target or TRU. I can see TRU taking this, but they are notorious for not putting stuff on clearance, so there it will sit for months or longer.

I really don't hold out much hope for this.

Yes, we may be wow'd at ToyFare, but it remains t be seen if the collecting community as a whole will get behind this, given all the possible shortcomings it can have.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2008, 07:13 PM »
Wow, people see the Falcon on a UK order sheet and all of a sudden we're talking about a ship that's double the price?  Wow.  I think some rumor control might be in order.  But I doubt Hasbro will handle this particular hot potato in the Q&A's before Toy Fair.

I don't think the Falcon will be $300 in the US.  The price is currently in the Target computer system, and it's set at $150.  The UK pricing of 150 GB pounds might just be a case of our friends in the UK getting hosed, or Hasbro trying to cash in on the weak dollar by setting what seems to be a high price in Britain.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2008, 10:28 PM »
I still stick by my comments even if the price is $150. That's what 3X the price of the previous version? Close enough that for that much more, it really requires all those new upgrades.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2008, 11:12 PM »
At $300, if it were actually to-scale, I'd gladly buy it...  It would need to be to-scale though, full interior...  I don't know where I'd put it, what I'd do with it, or how I'd even fit it in here, but I would buy that.  I perhaps would make it into a piece of furniture.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2008, 11:31 PM »
For that price, it should be something like the TRU Falcon display.  :-X

6ft STAR WARS MILLENIUM FALCON

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2008, 12:44 AM »
Exactly. That's why I'm glad I got one of those a few years back. I paid $300 for my 6ft Falcon, so that's why I'm struggling with the notion of buying something much smaller for that price.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2008, 09:23 AM »
Yeah, but that TRU Falcon is just the toy Falcon all super-sized, out of proportion and pretty much a solid piece (don't get me wrong, I'm jealous of you.) For me, gadgets and moving parts add financial/mental worth to me. But then again, the point is moot since this isn't going to be $300.  ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Ah, but my plans for the 6ft Falcon are to create the interior of the ship, making it one huge playset.

In fact while I had a general idea of how I wanted to do this, this weekend I sat down and thought it out and put it to paper how I would go about it.

In basic order (as we know things can change), I will build the interior of the Falcon:
Cockpit
Hallway to cockpit
Landing gear (Important to do this before the ramp)
Ramp/entry lobby
Smuggler storage units
Dejarik table/couch area
Han's computer terminal ("simple tricks and nonsense")
Lightsaber training area
Gunners station

Then from there I'll research the rest of the ship and start doing parts of the ship that were never seen.

I know that will take me a long time to do, but the end result should be awesome, so it will make the project well worth the time. I figure on it taking a couple of thousand to do right, so this is one piece that will become an investment. Tha's not a word I use lightly regarding my collection. 

Now some might say then why not buy a $300 (or $150) Falcon? Well because we just know Hasbro isn't going to do it 100% right. And I can't ever see them making a 6ft long decked out Falcon. Mine would be darn near one of a kind in that respect. Besides, I have a degree in Industrial design, so it will be nice to make use of it for something I really like for a change.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56 AM »
If you decide to actually make this, you should check out a book called something like Star Wars Cross Sections.  I think this lays out every piece of the Falcon and would likely make a good blueprint for you.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2008, 01:18 PM »
If you decide to actually make this, you should check out a book called something like Star Wars Cross Sections.  I think this lays out every piece of the Falcon and would likely make a good blueprint for you.

Already have it and planned on using that as one of the references for this project. Thanks for the suggestion just in case though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2008, 06:00 PM »
The Falcon, ironically, "doesn't work" in the real world...  The sets coupled with the models and things don't really match-up properly.  You have to do some fudging for it to work.  The Cross-Sections is definitely a good starting point, but there's about 30 other deck layouts for it too that will help you too Sal.  I suggest looking into old RPG sources on the matter for some help as it lays it out in actual scale...  It's by no means perfect either.

The Falcon's one of those things that's tough to make ultimately perfect.  I dont' think I've ever seen someone do one to-scale with a full interior.  Untackled territory, probably because it's the size of a coffee table.

At the "Where Science Meets Imagination" exhibit they have the Falcon that's just about to-scale to the figures...  A sight to behold, let me tell you.  Well worth a stop too for the "details".  I'd also suggest getting the $200 kit from Japan, as it's the most accurate model of the ship to-date, and is actually based (piece-by-piece) on the actual film prop of same scale...  Really it's unmatched for authenticity, even by things like MR's Falcon IMO.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2008, 11:19 PM »
The Falcon's one of those things that's tough to make ultimately perfect.  I dont' think I've ever seen someone do one to-scale with a full interior.  Untackled territory, probably because it's the size of a coffee table.

I'd still be perfectly happy with one of these:

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45 PM »
Who wouldn't be?

It's a sweet piece for a price that goes beyond what I've paid for most cars I've ever owned...  Hell, it's more than a few of them combined!  :-\

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2008, 11:54 PM »
I came pretty close to commissioning the non-Falcon parts of that set from Owen... really close.  If this upcoming Falcon is anything at all like that, I think I'll have to go ahead and talk with him about it. 

What would everyone think if the Falcon came like that - one half, then later on the second half was released?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2008, 12:44 AM »
Truth be told, I'd rather it be like that diorama set.  You can push it against the wall to save space, and I'd rather it serve as a static scene for figures than a vehicle that I could fly around the room  ;D
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke