Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62647 times)

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42 AM »
I have done a piss poor job of keeping up with my Cardinals this off season. I was just reaquainting myself with the team and I want to scream...

David Eckstein - signed with Toronto
Scott Rolen - Traded to Toronto after a falling out with La (passed out behind the wheel) Russa - Got Troy Glaus
Jim Edmonds - Traded to the San Diego Padres
Gary Bennett (back up catcher) - Signed with the Dodgers
Troy Percival - Signed with Tampa Bay
So Taguchi - Signed with the Phillies

Not to mention that Chris Carpenter is still out from Tommy John Surgery...

Looks like 2008 is the season of the rebuild for my favorite teams.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Red Sox extends Tito Francona's contract

All I can say is - It's about ******* time.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 01:46 PM »
What should they call it, Double Bubble Field? Dentine Ice Field?, Big League Chew Field?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 02:32 PM »
I have done a piss poor job of keeping up with my Cardinals this off season. I was just reaquainting myself with the team and I want to scream...

Scott Rolen - Traded to Toronto after a falling out with La (passed out behind the wheel) Russa - Got Troy Glaus

Yeah, looks like a rebuilding year.  Spiezo's gone now too, always liked him but can't say I blame them for parting with him.

So Taguchi, for some reason losing him bothers me.  He's old, but seemed to really be a valuable player.  The team needs to get younger though, so I can't really blame them for that one either; though I hate to see him go.

Who know though, they could surprise us this year. 

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 03:26 PM »

Yeah, looks like a rebuilding year.  Spiezo's gone now too, always liked him but can't say I blame them for parting with him.

So Taguchi, for some reason losing him bothers me.  He's old, but seemed to really be a valuable player.  The team needs to get younger though, so I can't really blame them for that one either; though I hate to see him go.

Who know though, they could surprise us this year. 

I am not surprised that Spaco (Spiezo) is gone. Between last seasons mid-season meltdown leading to him missing the remainder of the season and then the crap in December I can't blame them for cutting him. I bet the Cards told him that if he didn't clean up his act and keep it clean that they would cut him.

Taguchi was older, but like Eckstien had speed. I just find it hard to believe that the core of the roster is reduced to one guy (Pujols) and even at that he isn't at 100%. They should done something to hang onto some of the other players that could have helped out where he is lacking with this injury.

If Pujols doesn't get to 100% soon I see him leaving and going to the AL to be a DH somewhere so he can get some limited play time, but also DH when the foot & hamstring are acting up. We all know that the Evil Empire (Yankees) or the Communists (Red Sox) will pay him big money for his to DH

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 03:31 PM »
Do you think he would accept a DH role though?  At this point in his career?  He seems to love playing in the field.  Damn, the thought of him leaving the Cards is scary.  Maybe adding Glaus will give him more protection, and hopefully Ankiel & Duncan will have solid seasons... if the pitching can come through, I think this team will be in contention in the division.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 09:30 AM »
You Twinkies fans gotta tell me why the Twins are willing to throw $47 million to Joe Nathan, and not pay Johan Santana, the best pitcher in baseball for the last 4 years.

Bunch of monkeys running that franchise I tell ya.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 11:08 AM »
You Twinkies fans gotta tell me why the Twins are willing to throw $47 million to Joe Nathan, and not pay Johan Santana, the best pitcher in baseball for the last 4 years.

Bunch of monkeys running that franchise I tell ya.

The Pohlad family is F'ed in the head (my personal opinion). We lost over 1/2 of our team from last year. Mostly due to free agency. What it boils down to is the Twins are taking a chance right now on the younger talent to step up and get better in time as Santana did. They probably figure that Santana has reached his peak or near his peak and is going to become more of a regular pitcher soon (Rodger Clemens after he left Boston). It is easier to trade him now when had 1 so-so season in 2007 then it would be to try and trade him if his season this year is the same. Especially since his contract is up this year. It is better to get something for him then nothing. Like what happened to us with Hunter.

As for why throw that money at Nathan - the market for a good closer is tough and teams are willing to pay top dollar for them. Especially since in a close game the closer is key. With the youth we have all around on the team it is necessary to pay some top dollar for a closer so we can be in contention this season. As it is that still isn't a given with this team.

Basically we need Nathan more than we need Santana. As we can put the pressure of good starting pitcher on 5 guys, and we can't do that with a closer.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 03:34 PM »
I find it really odd that the baseball season "officially" started earlier this week when Boston and Oakland played a pair of count-in-the-standings games in Japan, yet these same teams will come back home to play more Spring/exhibition games this weekend. It's just weird.

That's pretty much all I was thinking about regarding baseball, since my team (Giants) will suck beyond belief this year.  :'(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 03:36 PM »
They probably figure that Santana has reached his peak or near his peak and is going to become more of a regular pitcher soon (Rodger Clemens after he left Boston).

Yeah, whatever happened to that Clemens guy, anyway?  It's like after he left Boston, you never heard from him again after that.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 07:00 PM »

That's pretty much all I was thinking about regarding baseball, since my team (Giants) will suck beyond belief this year.  :'(

I wouldn't count them out just yet.  That pitching rotation of Zito, Lincecum, Cain, Lowry could turn out to be very very good.  We have to wait and see, but they definitely have potential.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's very likely, but definitely quite possible.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I find it really odd that the baseball season "officially" started earlier this week when Boston and Oakland played a pair of count-in-the-standings games in Japan, yet these same teams will come back home to play more Spring/exhibition games this weekend. It's just weird.

MLB is just trying to get a larger fan base and since we have been stealing Asian players to attempt to turn them into American Superstars it figures that we would go over there to get them to follow our teams instead of their own.

They probably figure that Santana has reached his peak or near his peak and is going to become more of a regular pitcher soon (Rodger Clemens after he left Boston).

Yeah, whatever happened to that Clemens guy, anyway?  It's like after he left Boston, you never heard from him again after that.

Just turned into a guy that liked getting in the butt and then lied about it to Congress!  ;D

I wouldn't count them out just yet.  That pitching rotation of Zito, Lincecum, Cain, Lowry could turn out to be very very good.  We have to wait and see, but they definitely have potential.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's very likely, but definitely quite possible.

No games have been played except for 2 of them in Japan. This is still anyone's season.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2008, 01:28 PM »
MLB is just trying to get a larger fan base and since we have been stealing Asian players to attempt to turn them into American Superstars it figures that we would go over there to get them to follow our teams instead of their own.

Yeah, I understand why they're doing it, but it just seems weird that the A's, for example, have already played two official games, but will now play 3 more exhibition games this weekend. It's like they should've been done with exhibition BEFORE starting the season.

I wish I shared your optimism. Outside of Cain and Lincecum, even the rotation is shakey. Zito's Spring ERA is over 10 and Lowry's hurt, and the fifth starter (either Correia or Sanchez) is iffy at best. Aurilia, Durham and Roberts are still being started, and Benji Molina is batting cleanup. And the division is going to be even tougher than last year (Colorado, Arizona, San Diego and Dodgers). Ugh, it's really going to be a long year.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, though.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2008, 03:35 PM »
AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West:LAoA

NL East: NY