Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 62663 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2008, 08:52 PM »
Go............Rays?!

Cards pulled two wins in a row out of their tails this weekend against the AL's hottest team... hopefully those Redbirds will get back on track now. 

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2008, 12:02 AM »
And I still have yet to witness a no-hitter.  My kids convinced me to turn the Royals/Red Sox game off in the fourth inning so they could play the Wii.

****.  :(

John

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2008, 09:03 AM »
Become a Red Sox fan, John.  They throw a no hitter every 8 months.  :P

Lester or Buchholz and Ellsbury were on the table for Santana at one point.  I wonder if the Twins are kicking themselves for not taking that deal?  A no hitter from each pitcher before the age of 25 and a legitimate candidate for ROY.  I'm glad they're here though and for years to come.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2008, 10:15 AM »
The Twins are fools.  As a fan, I guarantee that. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2008, 10:23 AM »
Go............Rays?!

Cards pulled two wins in a row out of their tails this weekend against the AL's hottest team... hopefully those Redbirds will get back on track now. 

Yep - even when they lose it's nice to see Tampa fighting hard and not getting destroyed every day.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2008, 11:28 AM »
Go............Rays?!

Yep - even when they lose it's nice to see Tampa fighting hard and not getting destroyed every day.

Absolutely.  Seeing teams that nobody predicted to do much of anything having success is great to see.  I hope they win the division.

And if the Cardinals don't pull out the NL Central... I'd like to see the Brew Crew get it done... stuff like that is good for the sport.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Become a Red Sox fan, John.  They throw a no hitter every 8 months.  :P

Lester or Buchholz and Ellsbury were on the table for Santana at one point.  I wonder if the Twins are kicking themselves for not taking that deal?  A no hitter from each pitcher before the age of 25

Not to take anything away from Lester - but he no-hit the Royals.  Still impressive of course, but almost everyone kills the Royals.  Lester just had a little luck and a few good catches on his side last night.

Ellsbury is a total stud muffin - he'll likely win the ROY.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2008, 11:37 AM »
From what the Twins said, Lester AND Ellsbury were never offered to them, that is what they asked for...I believe Bucholz and Ellsbury were offered and they said no...either way, both the Yankees and Red Sox had better offers than they got in the end.  I am still bitter about said deal and letting Torii Hunter walk but signing Joe Nathan to huge huge money. 

That being said, Carlos Gomez is going to be an absolute stud, soon

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Go............Rays?!

It is nice to finally see the Yankees in last place again (ALA 1980's). Now if the Red Sox can join them I will be happy. I am just so sick and tired of ESPN and Fox only showing games that have New York or Boston teams have for TV. Granted they bring in bigger audiences, but since I can't stand any of the three teams I watch something else or don't watch at all. I just want to see other teams being showcased.

Twins Deal - Not happy about it, but so far Gomez has done a decent job. Since Johan is only 5-2 and it took him 6 weeks get a win at home at Shea I glad to see things appear to be going in our favor. At least it wasn't a crappy deal like the Vikings did to get Walker from Dallas.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2008, 03:34 PM »

Twins Deal - Not happy about it, but so far Gomez has done a decent job. Since Johan is only 5-2 and it took him 6 weeks get a win at home at Shea I glad to see things appear to be going in our favor. At least it wasn't a crappy deal like the Vikings did to get Walker from Dallas.

"Only 5-2"?  Hold on a second here - Santana is 5-2 with a 3.30 ERA/ 1.12 WHIP and 57 K's in 60 IP.  Opponents are hitting just .229 against him. 

As I recall each of the last 4 seasons (all of which he pitched 200+ innings) he got off to slower starts in April and May and after the All Star Break he pitched the next 3 months with ERA in the 2.00's.  Santana's career ERA through May is 4.00, even when he was a Twin.  By that standard, he's having his best season yet  ;)

Even if he doesn't heat up after the break, he's pitching damn well this season already.  Those are great numbers.  Not good.  Great.

Things are not "going (in the Twins) favor" with that deal.  They made a bad trade and they could have either signed him, or gotten more for him.  He is the best pitcher in the majors 4 years running and he's 29 years old.  And he's off to a great start this season.

It is nice to finally see the Yankees in last place again (ALA 1980's).

Okay we'll see how long that lasts.

Last I checked it was a 6 month season, not a 6 week season.

The cream will rise to the top when things settle out in the long dog days of summer that is the baseball season.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:46 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 6, 2008, 12:42 AM »
Okay we'll see how long that lasts.

Last I checked it was a 6 month season, not a 6 week season.

Lucky thing too - that should give the Yankees just about enough time to desperately claw their way to a wild card berth and a first round exit.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 6, 2008, 08:56 PM »

Lucky thing too - that should give the Yankees just about enough time to desperately claw their way to a wild card berth and a first round exit.

Yeah well that's a luxury you can afford when you already have 26 World Championships under your belt.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 9, 2008, 09:06 AM »

Yeah well that's a luxury you can afford when you already have 26 World Championships under your belt.

Sure it is considering the Yankees BUY championships. Their farm system is one of the worst in the league. The Yankees don't know how to grow talent, just buy it when it is nearly past their prime.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 9, 2008, 09:22 AM »
The Yankees don't know how to grow talent, just buy it when it is nearly past their prime.

Oh I know, just ask Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera, Derek Jeter, Melky Cabrera, Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes, Robinson Cano, Ian Kennedy, Chien-Ming Wang, and Andy Pettitte.

The Yankees have a higher percentage of home grown talent than many other MLB teams, including the Mets AND the Red Sox.

So who, may I ask, is your favorite team?  I'm sure they're as home grown and pure as the wind driven snow.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2008, 01:03 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 9, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Go Cards.