Author Topic: MLB 2008  (Read 63067 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2008
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Last evening I was at Target on my way home from the gym.  I was in line and there was this girl behind me with giant boobs, wearing sunglasses and some goofy hat talking on her blue-tooth.  She's talking to someone about how "wow, he hit TWO home runs tonight?!"

So having just come from the gym and having been watching a little bit of Baseball Tonight, I've figured out that she's talking about Hanley Ramierez.  So I'm thinking that this girl must like baseball, or have a fantasy baseball team of her own...

Then she starts dissecting his swing saying something like (but not exactly), "yeah, I'm telling you he started standing closer to the plate and shortening up his swing and it's going to be great for him."

Now, whatever she said, it was obvious that she knew more about the technical aspects of baseball than I did and I started thinking to myself that she was really super serious about this stuff.

Then she says "hell yeah, I'm going to have to call him soon and congratulate him."

Then she starts talking about some other player she knows on the Marlins who she'd been talking to the other day and he was complaining about being on the road in some posh hotel and she was quipping about how horrible it must have been for him and yadda yadda yadda.  I didn't get a chance to ask her about this because she never got off the phone and I was done, but it was a little bizarre to have just been thinking about Ramierez earlier that night because of the two HR's and to then randomly bump into some girl at Target who apparently is friends with him.

So I thought I'd share.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33 AM »
Stayed up last night to watch the final game at Yankee Stadium. The night was exactly how I pictured it. And now regardless of my feelings towards the yankees I need to get a piece of baseball history from the stadium. I hope they sell parts of the stadium because that would be the best thing I could have in my collection.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #122 on: September 24, 2008, 02:39 PM »
AL East - Red Sox
AL Central - Indians
AL West - Angels
Wildcard - Tigers

I love when people don't pick the Yankees to even make the playoffs.

Don't hold your breath on that one.

:D

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2008, 03:28 PM »
Gah!  Last time the Cardinals played this bad in August/September, they won the World Series.  Go figure.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2008, 05:10 PM »
AL East - Yankees (God I hate picking them)
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Angels
AL Wild Card - Cleveland

NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Cubs
NL West - Arizona
NL Wild Card - Mets

ALCS - Tigers over Yankees in 7
NLCS - Phillies over Arizona

WS - Tigers in 4 if AL wins All Star Games, in 7 if NL wins All Star Game.

Well I biffed the AL big time. Only one I got right was the Angels. With 5 games left to play the Arizona Diamond backs are still in contention for the NL West, but if the season ends and nothing changes I only missed Arizona in the NL so I didn't do too bad.

My surprises of the season...

Tampa Bay - Need I say more?!?!
New York Yankees - They had become such a normal in the payoffs lately I figured they still had a chance at the begining of Sept. I am happy they didn't make it.
Twins - Honestly I figured we we be finishing between Cleveland & KC near the bottom
Tigers - These guys picked up so much talent over the the off season between '07 & '08 I had them pegged as World Series bound not celler dwellers like they are.
Milwaukee - Didn't see them playing as well as they have or as consistantly. Still trying to figure out how a Vegitarian gets so fat. Can you please explain that to me Mr. Goodyear Blimp (aka - Prince Fielder).
Cubs - I figured they would win the Central, but not kick everyones asses like they have.

It is the 100 anniversary of the last time the Cubs won a World Series. Lets hope for a continuation of the curse. Because if it comes down to a Chicago series I will root for the Sox just to see the curse extended.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2008, 09:59 PM »
It is the 100 anniversary of the last time the Cubs won a World Series. Lets hope for a continuation of the curse. Because if it comes down to a Chicago series I will root for the Sox just to see the curse extended.

I will root for the White Sox not only because they are my team, but also because my wife is a die hard Cubs fan ;D  However, with how they played yesterday and are playing today, I'm not confident that they will even make the play-offs :-\
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 25, 2008, 09:20 AM »

I will root for the White Sox not only because they are my team, but also because my wife is a die hard Cubs fan ;D  However, with how they played yesterday and are playing today, I'm not confident that they will even make the play-offs :-\

If the season ends and the White Sox are a 1/2 game down of the Twins; MLB will require the Sox to play the missed game they had with Detroit to determine accurate standings (on 9/29) and if necissary a tie breaking game with the Twins on Tuesday 9/30. Twins definately have the easier schedule for the remainder of the week.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 25, 2008, 11:34 AM »
Don't remind me.  I would much rather play the Royals than the Indians as well as not have to possibly play Detroit to force a play-off...  The only thing I can hope for is they catch some momentum tonight with a win and carry it through the weekend.  However, confidence is at an all time low at the moment...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2008, 11:39 PM »
The only thing I can hope for is they catch some momentum tonight with a win and carry it through the weekend.  However, confidence is at an all time low at the moment...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Now we just have to dust KC and hope the Sox continue to choke...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Twins Win! Twins Win! Twins Win! God that was a fantastic game.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I haven't yelled that loud at a sporting event on TV for a long time...what a game

Although I can't believe the 3rd Base ump called out Swisher...that sucked (sorta :P)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2008, 08:29 AM »
The White Sox don't deserve to get into the play-offs at this point, no matter how hard it is for me to type that out...  They have the chance to close out the Division by winning all three games but instead get swept and now find themselves a 1/2 game out.  They played like **** the last three games.  I'm disgusted as a fan right now.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2008, 08:56 AM »
The White Sox don't deserve to get into the play-offs at this point, no matter how hard it is for me to type that out...  They have the chance to close out the Division by winning all three games but instead get swept and now find themselves a 1/2 game out.  They played like **** the last three games.  I'm disgusted as a fan right now.

as much as it pains you to type this, as a Cardinals fan it pains me even more to say this...

You could always back the other Chicago baseball team going to the playoffs!

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2008, 10:20 AM »
You could always back the other Chicago baseball team going to the playoffs!

I will anyway.  I don't wish any ill-will toward the Cubs unless they are playing the White Sox in interleague play.  I also will have to root for the Cubs if I want to be allowed to stay in my house during the play-offs...  My wife is a die-hard Cubs fan.  If the Sox can't make it into the play-offs, then I hope the Cubs 'win the whole ******' thing' to quote one of my favorite basball movies.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2008, 08:43 PM »
AL East - Red Sox
AL Central - Tigers
AL West - Mariners
AL WC - Yankees

NL East - Mets
NL Central - Cubs
NL West - D'backs
NL WC - Phillies

Ouch. 3 out of 8 in the playoffs for sure, 4 if the Mets make it (and only one right in the AL, although to be fair, nobody saw the Rays doing what they did this year).  The Mariners?  What the **** was I thinking?

I'll wait until all the teams are in and the match ups set before making my playoff predictions. 
Common sense isn't so common