Author Topic: Which cardback/bubble combination was your favorite?  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Which cardback/bubble combination was your favorite?
« on: January 14, 2008, 03:57 PM »
This fits here as well as anywhere I guess, though if it needs to be elsewhere, that's cool. 

This question came to mind today when I saw the GI Joe carded figures for the first time at Walmart.  Ignoring for a moment that this appears to be wave 5 yet is the first to arrive, when I looked at them I couldn't help but notice a similarity of sorts to the vintage Star Wars cards and their most modern counterpart, the POTF2 bubbles/cards.  I have to say, this is easily my favorite look as it's so clean and simple.  I really dig the card being mostly bare and graphics easy to see.  They weren't overly cluttered either with a bunch of stuff, just simple.  And the simple, small bubble holding the figure and a few accessories was very visually appealing to me. 

I couldn't help but think I'd really like to see that style of cardback/bubble make a comeback.  Yup, it would largely mean the end of pack-ins like stands or larger accessories (Yoda/Kybuck would be impossible) or heaven forbid, coins (wait, they did that in POTF) but I think I could live with that.  What about you, what combination was your favorite?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: Which cardback/bubble combination was your favorite?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:06 PM »
I'm still very fond of the OTC packaging.  I love how each figure had a movie scene backdrop on the card.  I know TSC figs featured the same thing, but I prefer the shape of the bubble with OTC over TSC.   
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:12 PM »
I open all my figures and throw the cards away, but I do have to say that the VOTC cards look pretty nifty.  Also I like the TAC cards quite a bit.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 05:49 PM »
I'm going with 30AC...

I didn't like it at first, but the way the images on the cards were artwork rather than photos grew on me, and I have to say the bubbles really supplied us with great accessories.  There was a versatility to this line that Hasbro hasn't had with past bubble configuations (at least not as much), and so we got things like a vaporator, curved bar pieces, and oversized character in-part to the card/bubble configuration.

I really didn't care for it at first, which is ironic, because I wound up enjoying it by the end... 

I'm an opener though, so my opinion isn't quite important to it either.  I tend to just tear into things.  My set of carded McQuarrie looks quite impressive though, I must say.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 06:14 PM »
I think 30AC is the winner. They are awesome.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I agree with Jesse and evenflow on the 30th packaging being the best in the modern line, even though the first time I saw it, I absolutely hated it.  The packaging is superfluous for me 99% of the time, as it almost always goes in the trash, but the 30th packaging was the easiest to open and had the least to throw away since the POTF2 era.

The massive glut (to this day) of 2006 Saga figures has me soured on that whole design so much that if I never see a black card with a silver "STAR WARS" logo on it again, I can die happy.  As nice as they were, you can only see Jerjerrod and Endor Threepio so many times before you start to loathe that design.   :P

Worst packaging ever, though, goes to the ROTS line, which was just a royal pain in the ass to open and had that ridiculous font on the bubbles that announced "POINTLESS ACTION FEATURE!" or "REPUBLIC SENATOR!  BANG!  ZOOM!" or "AWESOME!  TOTALLY AWESOME!" (I will never forget that, Jayson).   ;)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 08:12 PM »
The 30AC cards are also really easy to dig through while looking for a certain figure.  I really ended up liking these as well.  They were colorful, and eye-cathing in the tsores.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Vintage
OTC
Saga
TAC

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 10:42 PM »
Vintage
OTC
Saga
TAC

Well matched, but I hated the original blue Saga cards, so I'd exchange that with TSC cards instead.

Honorable mention goes to POTJ as that was a very easy line to collect and I enjoyed examining those cards/force files more than any other than previously mentioned.

-carded collector
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 11:17 PM »
Oops, TSC is what I meant by Saga.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 09:22 AM »
I'm still a huge fan of OTC, they're my favorite next to the original Vintage.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 02:19 PM »
OTC
VOTC/VTSC
FF
30AC (mainly because of McQuarrie sub-line and waves 4-5)
TSC
CW
POTF
CW cartoon
POTJ
Black/silver (silver figs)
SAGA (burst and swirl)
EP 1/Commtech
Ep 2 sneak preview
draw-your-own and tape the figure to it
Flashback
SOTE