Author Topic: Gentlemen: What type of wallet are you sporting?  (Read 12189 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Gentlemen: What type of wallet are you sporting?
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:56 PM »
For about the past ten years or so, I've been rockin' a checkbook wallet.  But not just any old checkbook wallet.  No, this one's special:  It has Darth Vader's face embossed into the front of it.    It's getting kind of beat-up a little, kind of worn out, but the main thing is:  It's a checkbook wallet, and I don't even carry checks around in it anymore!  And haven't, ever since I got a debit card, and that was a good seven or eight years ago, at least.  Why am I carrying this huge piece of leather around with me all the time, when I'm not even using it the way it was intended to be used?

So the other day, I got to thinkin':  Maybe it's time for a new wallet.

And after looking at a few department stores and online shops, you know what kind of wallet is ticklin' my fancy?  The bi-fold?  Nope.  The tri-fold?  Try again.  The front-pocket wallet?  You got it.

(Yep, this is my actual new wallet, and that's me, back when I lived in Utah, during my David Koresh phase.)

There's something very appealing to me about the front-pocket wallet.  You got your I.D., facing out, on one side, you got your debit/credit cards on the other, and there's a pocket for your cash in the middle.  That's everything you need, right there.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.  That's my mantra for 2008.

So I think I'm gonna get me one of these.  Something very similar to the one pictured above.  I looked at the mall the other day, and they had some that were very close to this, but they all had money clips on the outside.  And I don't think I like the idea of an exposed money clip.  I mean, not only would the cash (all eleven dollars of it) be in plain view of anyone, anytime I pulled my wallet out, but also the clip itself, sticking out a little bit.  I think that would bug me.  So yes, I refuse to have an external money clip.

Anyway, I'm looking at several different front-pocket wallets right now.  Haven't decided on one yet, but when I do, I will update this thread first thing.

In the meantime, what kind of wallet do you guys have?  Anybody have a front pocket?  Perhaps you've got a bi- or tri-fold wallet, or maybe even a Darth Vader checkbook wallet.  Who knows.

I just hope nobody here has a Costanza.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemen: What type of wallet are you sporting?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I'm sporting a single fold made by Mandarina Duck.  I picked it up in Italy about 4 years ago, I think it's made of neoprene.  I really like this wallet, but it's starting to get pretty worn out.

Imagine this, but with more sleeves, a fold, and all that stuff on the inside.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:05 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 05:07 PM »
Basic bi-fold that at times approaches Costanza, only because I don't clean it out enough.  Basically I have the bad habit of keeping all my receipts in there for no good reason.  No button closing though.  

I'm kinda irritated with all the swipe cards for various point systems that retailers have, mostly because I'm not bright enough to say no.  So I'm carrying way, way more cards than I really need to.  I probably only really need to carry my credit cards, debit card and ID most of the time.  But I've got a couple of airline cards, at least three different retail "points" cards, a couple of gas station points cards and so on.  Plus I stuff some extra business cards in it as well.  So it is manageable enough when it's empty of receipts, but gets messy quickly :-[  It can always fit in a pocket without being overly obtrusive though.  

Mine is severely beaten too.  But I really like it, to the point where years ago, I bought an exact duplicate of it (from a retailer that has since gone out of business).  I just can't bring myself to endure the break-in period of a new leather wallet.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31 PM »
i am still rolling with the standard bi-fold.  my front pockets are for keys and cell phone, so i am not that keen on the front pocket wallet.  my brother uses one and says that once you get used to it its pretty cool.

i get a new wallet every 3-4 years for my anniversary.  i don't usually feel that i need one, but its probably a good idea to upgrade every once in a while just for the excuse to throw out all the business cards and receipts that get built up.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22 PM »
I have a bi-fold wallet but am thinking about movie to a money clip.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:37 AM »
I'm sporting a leather tri-fold that I've probably had for 12 years or more.  I just started to notice in the last few weeks that it's about on its last legs though.

You wouldn't think that upgrading a wallet would be such a big deal but for some reason I can't seem to get excited about seeing this one go.

I'm not, however, a fan of the front pocket.  I'm with John, those pockets are for keys, change and whatnot, not a wallet. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:00 AM »
None.

I carry my debit card and a few bucks in a side pocket.  Driver's license in the car with the registration.

I learned from Costanza.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 07:16 AM »
I've got a single fold tall fossile wallet.  It doesn't have the check pocket in it and I've never carried checks around anyway.  Mine stays nice and clean and isn't used to hold a bunch of junk in.  I've got my required ID's, debit card, credit card, insurance cards, and of course my good ol' Vitamin Shoppe card.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Speaking of wallets, I would like to find a trendy 'man bag' to carry mine and everything else:

*Wallet
*Phone
*ipod
*Smokes
*Lighter
*Gloves
*Gum
*Keys

Where am I supposed to put all this ****?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Front pocket with a money clip.  I actually just switched to this type after years of having a bi-fold back pocket type for all the typical wallet stuff and a separate money clip in the front pocket.  I got tired of carrying all the extra **** I managed to accumulate (insurance cards, seldom used credit cards, etc.) that I decided to switch and just keep my drivers license, 2 debit cards, 1 credit card and my work access card with me at all times and just grab any of the other stuff when I need it (which hasn't happened yet).  The front pocket type was a perfect fit - it's not intrusive and fits perfectly in my front pocket. 

And my ass cheek doesn't hurt from sitting on a wallet all day...
Common sense isn't so common

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Canvas bifold, sans velcro (shudder). I've got too many cards to go for a smaller, front-pocket type wallet. It's the cards that do me in, including three credit; one debit; license; three med. insurance (me, plus my two kids); Safeway, Costco, BevMo and Albertson's club; and Target, Peet's Coffee, Gap and Bloomingdale's gift cards. (That's 16 cards, ugh.)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 01:09 PM »
I have this one-

It's a single-fold, with barely enough room in it for my credit/debit cards and license. But it's neat as hell to have, especially when I'm at the store and get it out in front of old people.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 01:10 PM »
My wallet

I like it due to the two slots in the front for ID cards (easy for me since I have to use my school ID a lot) and the inside can hold about 6-8 credit/gift cards and whatever else you need. Plus there's a lot of space for cash.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I'm not, however, a fan of the front pocket.  I'm with John, those pockets are for keys, change and whatnot, not a wallet.

What if you carried a front pocket wallet in your back pocket?  Are you allowed to do that?   ???

Speaking of wallets, I would like to find a trendy 'man bag' to carry mine and everything else:

*Wallet
*Phone
*ipod
*Smokes
*Lighter
*Gloves
*Gum
*Keys

Where am I supposed to put all this ****?

In your vagina, that's where.

"I would like to find a trendy 'man bag'."  Sheesh.   ::)

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 02:31 PM »
Bi-fold- approaching Costanza-esque.
Between the ID, check card, 2 credit cards, health insurance card, dental card, science museum pass, zoo pass, car insurance cards (I never remember to change the ones in the glove box), library card, coffee punch card for work, caribou card, access card for day-care, misc notes/directions, a couple of gift cards from Christmas, and both dollars I don't think I could use anything smaller. But I'll develop scoliosis before I get a purse.