Author Topic: Do You Think Any "Almost Ultimate" Versions Exist?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Do You Think Any "Almost Ultimate" Versions Exist?
« on: June 17, 2003, 01:04 PM »
A post by Jesse James regarding how Hasbro should eventually have an ultimate versions line (with main characters...great idea by the way), got me to thinking.  Are there any figures out there that any of you feel are pretty close to the "ultimate"?  I know almost all figures can always be improved on, whether it be the sculpt, the painting, the articulation, or the accessories....but I was wondering if there are any figures that you think come pretty close.  I know some figures of main characters seem to be generally looked upon pretty favorably (such as Cloud City Chewie, Commtech Han, Bespin Capture Han, Bespin Luke, etc.)...are any of them "ultimate" enough for you...and if not, what would you change?  Boy, do you think I could have slipped "ultimate" in that post anymore :P

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Think Any "Almost Ultimate" Versions Exist?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 01:23 PM »
There are definitely some close candidates.

Han Solo
-POTF2 Commtech:  I don't think they're gonna do much better than that one
-POTJ Bespin Capture: Another great one

Luke Skywalker
-POTF2 Flashback:  Pretty much the best Tatooine Luke, I think.  Add in the articulated knees from the Commtech one and he's perfect
-SAGA Bespin Duel:  He's up there!  Add a little more articulation, and maybe sell a clean faced variant, and I don't think you could beat  this Bespin Luke

Chewbacca
-SAGA Cloud City Escape:  Another great sculpt.  All he's missing is the crossbow

R2-D2
-POTF2 CommTech:  I defy anyone to find a better R2-D2

C-3PO
-SAGA Deluxe:  the best EPISODE II rendition I've seen
-POTF2 Millenium Minted Coin:  the best clean version of Threepio.  All he needs is some articulation.

I think the jury's still out on some of the other core characters.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 03:14 PM »
Nicklab is right on the money with his choices.  I'd also include:

Saga DF Padme - perfect except for the screaming
POTJ MOTD Maul - the best version of him easy
POTJ Mos Espa Qui-Gon - under that poncho, he's awesome
Saga SC Anakin - save for the cloak and disco ankles...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:24 PM »
Saga DF Padme - perfect except for the screaming
POTJ MOTD Maul - the best version of him easy
POTJ Mos Espa Qui-Gon - under that poncho, he's awesome
Saga SC Anakin - save for the cloak and disco ankles...

...and robotic hand.  Pretty dead-on the mark there, too Spuffy!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 04:45 PM »
Boba Fett 300th. One of my favorite figures, and an excellent example of what we should be getting for our money...even though he was $10...

Commtech R2. Best R2, hands down. He should be rereleased.

-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 05:37 PM »
To me, how close depends upon what you're comparing a Star Wars figure to.

For instance, BBI and 21st Century's figures in the same scale are decked out in tons of gear, some with removeable belts even, and they have removeable helmets, and articulation is unreal on some of them (18+ points, 16 at a minimum).

That's pretty ultimate...  But no Hasbro figure is close to that either really.

To me, the CT Stormie is the best work Hasbro has done...  Just imagine if it had a working holster, wrist articulation, a pin/swivel elbow and knee articulation though?  That's a lot more than it DOES have though, so how "Ultimate" or even close to ultimate could it actually be?

You add all that to it though, and you have a figure that just simply blows everything away...  I mean, his wrists would move, his knees would be hinged like they are now but ALSO would pivot.  His boot tops would swivel too, due to the pin at the knee...  His elbows would have a full range of motion just like the knee area then.  

And on all that, his gun goes in its holster...  That's a LOT of improvement though...

Funny though, simply giving him wrist articulation adds more than people realize to it.  I've put some hands on one in an attempt to get them ready for casting (doing a lil preliminary testing is all) and it adds to the figure immensely.  He can hold pretty much any gun perfectly now.

I agree though, if Hasbro wants to do ultimate figures, they really can do them well.  I think Hasbro hides ball/socket joints better than anyone, and they're definately good at doing the holster thing.  Ball/socket knees, elbows, shoulders, neck, and then simply adding wrist and boot/shoe-top articulation makes ultimate figures though...  Hasbro definately can do that, and do it with very well hidden joints.  

Now all we need is to actually see that put into practice.  ;D

I think some of the figures mentioned though, are definately some of the best figures of the Star Wars line, for what it is...  Bespin Han, Bespin Guard, Sandtrooper, CT Stormtrooper...  These are all as close as Hasbro's ever gotten to "perfection", IMO.  Each is still lacking in areas though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77