Author Topic: TRU "Hoth Patrol" Battle Pack  (Read 26650 times)

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Hoth Patrol" Battle Pack
« Reply #30 on: June 9, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Anybody seen this yet?  Been awhile since update, just saw it yesterday and beginning to think this'll be collecting dust very quickly.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 9, 2008, 01:49 PM »
Yeah, I've seen dozens so far... just collecting dust!  I wonder why they thought this would be a good set... if the Taun Taun had a removable harness, then it would have been cool.  As is, easy pass.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: June 9, 2008, 02:19 PM »
I wonder why they thought this would be a good set...

The set makes a lot more sense in it's original context...  when it was originally shown at C-IV, it was supposed to be in stores for the holiday shopping season (Oct/Nov 2007).  And it was originally supposed to be in the main, non-exclusive BP assortment.

Putting this Hoth set out for $20 at the Holidays made perfect sense as it would have been a great gift idea for a kid who may not have these beasts yet.  $20 for the two beasts and Luke isn't a bad deal for a gift.  While many collectors already have them, many kids don't since it's been a while since they were available (3-4 years).

Putting it out as an exclusive for $25 well after the holiday shopping is over though sort of torpedoes all the above reasons why it's a great idea though...  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 9, 2008, 03:10 PM »
I forgot this was originally slated for a $20 set around Christmas... I could see it doing ok then, but this time of year at $25 = dust collector.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 9, 2008, 05:00 PM »
I'll be curious to see how it does-- honestly, if it hangs around as the kids go into full SW-mode, it might do really well.  As a youngster, the first things I asked for by name (and the very first thing I *got*) were Hoth figures.  After the Wampa, it all sorta snowballed-- the Tauntaun is a retooled one (no running/no split belly), but Luke and the Wampa are kinda unremarkable.  To kids, they might be good, but as others have pointed out it's a real shame that Luke can't sit on his ride.  As that somewhat defeats the point of bundling them together.

I need to finish editing it, but:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26599914@N04/sets/72157605295954703/
(Can I say I love this Flickr thing?  Well, I do.)   I put this one down as another "just different enough to make you mad," which is a shame as I thought the STAP Attack set was totally worth the $25.  (Love the figures.  I'd have been fine with just one STAP, but hey, I dig anything with a Droid Army logo on it.)

That Geonosis Arena set seems to have done well despite being a redeco box with minimal new tooling.  I see a few sitting here and there, but this was after it seems to have vanished once or twice, so I *guess* TRU can really move a big box with a lot of critters in it.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 9, 2008, 08:36 PM »
I picked up a pair of these (one to open and one to keep MIB).

I mostly grabbed it 'cause I only picked up one of the Ultra Edition Wampas from the Saga1 line and if I ever wanted to display separately a Wampa running through my Echo base figures, this was as good a chance as any to score that figure.

Same thing with the Tauntaun, I'm hoping to just customize a Hoth Rebel Soldier to put in the saddle.

The Luke is a throw-away figure here. I wish they had put in the display base pieces from the original figure relase and ultra Wampa, just so I could have a second display of the Luke hanging upside down, but oh well.

The STAP Attack set is by far a better exclusive set when compared to this one, but that's in my opinion. I just got a $10 off $50 at TRU that expires June 30th and I'm currently leaning towards grabbing two more STAP Attacks just 'cause I bring the cost per set down to the regular Target/WalMart battle pack price.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Ice

• Banned
  • Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 11:37 AM »
I agree the STAP BP is cool, the Hoth..uhhh..its just "ok" I'm just not really into the regular BP anymore, Ill save my $$$ and buy the UBP.  I think they when the BP came out there cool something new..now I just pass them buy..part of my overall plan to cut back on SW collecting.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 08:49 PM »
I've been very surprised to see that these are selling better than the STAP Attack Battle Packs.  One would have thought that collectors would've gotten their fill of tauntaun's, Hoth Luke and the Wampa.  But perhaps it isn't the collector base that's buying this battle pack.  I'm skipping it simply because it's redundant.  I have everything in the set already.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2008, 12:30 AM »
I agree with Pete_Fett, the ice bases from saga hoth luke and ultra wampa were necesary in this pack.

It happens every time when Hasbro repacks..... they diminish accesories. The decorated box inside serves as a diorama, but if they want to satisfy collectors' need for accuracy they must have included the ice bases of Luke and Wampa.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 3, 2009, 03:50 PM »
I am so excited to not even want a clearance version of this.  hooray!

Funny that I made this comment about the TRU Hoth Patrol battlepack and now own one of these.   ::)  I'm looking for a definiteive guide on what's new about these vs. the original releases.  Anyone know of a good resource?  Rebelscum and Yakface didn't have anything.  AP's report seems to indicate the wampa is just a repaint.  Not sure if the Taun Taun matches the one from the Battle of Hoth Battle Pack and Luke seems like some kind of kit-bash. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: November 6, 2009, 02:51 AM »
Luke's a straight repaint of the Saga Luke that had bloody deco...  He's just clean in this pack IIRC.  The Taun-Taun is a (slight?) repaint of the POTF2 Taun-Tauns...  The Battle of Hoth pack you mention I believe has the split belly Taun-Taun in it, I think, which is a completely different beast though based on the POTF2 one's in terms of sculpt...  It's all new though if I'm not mistaken, to accomodate the split-open belly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #41 on: November 9, 2009, 12:22 PM »

Funny that I made this comment about the TRU Hoth Patrol battlepack and now own one of these.   ::)  I'm looking for a definiteive guide on what's new about these vs. the original releases.  Anyone know of a good resource?  Rebelscum and Yakface didn't have anything*.  AP's report seems to indicate the wampa is just a repaint.  Not sure if the Taun Taun matches the one from the Battle of Hoth Battle Pack and Luke seems like some kind of kit-bash. 

*Your recent inquiry motivated me to track this BP down so I can see the differences for myself and the guide will be updated accordingly.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 9, 2009, 01:38 PM »

Funny that I made this comment about the TRU Hoth Patrol battlepack and now own one of these.   ::)  I'm looking for a definiteive guide on what's new about these vs. the original releases.  Anyone know of a good resource?  Rebelscum and Yakface didn't have anything*.  AP's report seems to indicate the wampa is just a repaint.  Not sure if the Taun Taun matches the one from the Battle of Hoth Battle Pack and Luke seems like some kind of kit-bash. 

*Your recent inquiry motivated me to track this BP down so I can see the differences for myself and the guide will be updated accordingly.  :P

Sweet.  Let me know if you need the loose figures fromt eh pack - I just opened it about a week ago.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 7, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Saw the Hoth and the Stap Attack BP tonight at TRU for $12.98 a pop.  Not sure if this is a freak sighting or if there's more stock coming back into the pipeline.  Snagged me the Stap set.  Such a deal compared to the $19.99 dlx version.   ::)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Saw the Hoth and the Stap Attack BP tonight at TRU for $12.98 a pop.  Not sure if this is a freak sighting or if there's more stock coming back into the pipeline.  Snagged me the Stap set.  Such a deal compared to the $19.99 dlx version.   ::)

This must have been some sort of warehouse find has I read and heard reports of these showing up around the Midwest. Too bad they didn't show up a couple months ago at this price as I bought the Hoth set of eBay for full retail and then some.  :P
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird