Author Topic: Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures  (Read 51579 times)

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:09 PM »
I am just curious, would you be angry if Hasbro decided to make the main Clone Wars 3D line in an Animated style as opposed to realistic, movie style figures that we saw last year (Yoda with Kybuck, Tattooed Anakin)? I really hope this line is in a realistic style, but I have a feeling this will not be the case. Just look at Anakin's Jedi Starfighter from Lego. Anakin has a "cartoony" face. Perhaps Lucasfilm requested that their major licensees make their Clone Wars 3D products in an Animated style? I certainly hope not.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:46 PM by Scott »
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Clone Wars 3D Figures
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Hasbro has stated in past Q&A that the Clone Wars figures will be done in a style that is in keeping with the rest of the 3.75" figure line.

They are not looking to do "Animated Style" figures any time soon (according to the answer I remember reading).

The Animated Figures that sold at Target sold through but if I recall correctly, only because of deep clearancing from Target. Sure the Clones always sold and the WalMart 3-pack sets were barely in stock for the DVD releases, but I would say any speed of sell-through on anything done in the animated style was purely due to a lower manufacturing quantity on each item.

I think Hasbro acknowledges that the best bet for any action figure item is to keep it compatible with the 3.75" platform/system. They have tried other sizes and styles and they always ended up as failures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Hasbro has stated in past Q&A that the Clone Wars figures will be done in a style that is in keeping with the rest of the 3.75" figure line.

They are not looking to do "Animated Style" figures any time soon (according to the answer I remember reading).

The Animated Figures that sold at Target sold through but if I recall correctly, only because of deep clearancing from Target. Sure the Clones always sold and the WalMart 3-pack sets were barely in stock for the DVD releases, but I would say any speed of sell-through on anything done in the animated style was purely due to a lower manufacturing quantity on each item.

I think Hasbro acknowledges that the best bet for any action figure item is to keep it compatible with the 3.75" platform/system. They have tried other sizes and styles and they always ended up as failures.

I'm okay with an animated style, but would definitely prefer a more realistic look to the CW figs.  As for the CW Cartoon animated figs, these sold thru really really well from what I remember. The troopers were gone instantly, even the basic white ones.  I do think I saw 1-2 figs on clearance at some point, but literally just 1-2 of them, which is less than what we've seen with every other line of SW figure.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:36 PM »
I guess in terms of clearance it all depends on the area. Here in South New Jersey, I recall seeing Ventress, Dooku, Yoda, Mace, Obi-Wan and Anakin all with those little red Target clearance stickers.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 09:15 AM »
I wouldn't be mad at all, but I wouldn't buy them either. But it is a moot point to expect them, Pete said everything there is to say on the subject.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 11:38 AM »
I wouldn't be TOO upset, and I'm not gonna worry because I doubt it's gonna happen.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 12:11 PM »
What do you guys think of these two Q and A's?

Any chance we will see the first Clone Wars figures at Toy Fair, or even sooner? (JTA, 08/17/07)

Right now, Toy Fair is the most likely time for the first peak at what they will look like.

Can you tell us when toys based on the new Clone Wars animated series are due out? (JI, 12/07/07)

They will be out for Fall 2008. The exact on-shelf date is still being worked out, but detailed information and images of the figure direction will be revealed in February at Toy Fair.

Personally, I think those answers sound a little suspicious to me. I'm just saying that just because Hasbro has said "No more Animated style figures!" does not mean they are telling the truth.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 12:17 PM by JediShawn »
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I agree...  Something is "up" with the line, and it may not be good.  The line didn't really need a "direction" to go in, but they're seemingly aiming for something different than we're seeing now.  Or at least that's the distinct impression I'm getting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 09:10 AM »
I donno. I still haven't read about any details Lucasfilm made for distribution of the series. That could also be reeking havoc at Hasbro.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17 AM »
I'd be downright pissed if the Clone Wars figures were in the animated style.

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 10:28 AM »
I would be as well, Chewie, and I think most collectors would to be honest. I think a subline of animated style Clone Wars figures would be fine, but to have a line of around fifty figures that are in an animated style would not be a good idea.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 11:46 AM »
I'd be downright pissed if the Clone Wars figures were in the animated style.

I wouldn't care about the figs as much as I would the AT-TE and other vehicles-Homing Spider Droid, V-19, Snail Tank, etc. I'd be VERY pissed if they were done in an animated style. Those would be very huge nails in the coffin for me to quit collecting SW. At the least I'd get a big break from buying stuff until Hasbro came back to the realistic style.

Gawd, what if they decided to go COMPLETELY to an animated style???
I'd friggin' quit in a heartbeat. I have NO need to "re"collect all the characters again. I'm not collecting the middle sized GG busts because I don't want to collect the same characters again as busts in a different size than the larger ones. I won't do that for figures either.

-Sal
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:07 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Oh yeah, if the entire line went anime, I'd stop buying new figures immediately. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 06:07 PM »
Oh yeah, if the entire line went anime, I'd stop buying new figures immediately. 

This would never happen.  8)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 07:14 PM »
If they made animated style figures, I know it would certainly be hard for me to stop. I think about how I passed on opportunities to get the Droids and Ewoks animated cartoon figures and now I look back and I'm kinda upset with myself for not getting them back in the 80s.

So if the Clone Wars series produced animated style figures, would I pass on them now, only to regret it 20 years from now? It's a question that only I can answer of course.

Perhaps I wouldn't get any to open - that's what I did with the previous Animated Clone Wars series, only got one of each to have a complete MOC/MIB set. Perhaps I would do the same thing with these.

I think Hasbro KNOWS that an animated style line would/could be disastrous for the line and for sales. There would definitely be a lot of collectors who would be angered/upset by such a move.

I look at it this way too - if you want to do five or six new clones and a handful of Jedi - why would you choose the more expensive/less profit/more difficult route? Let's analyze the situation:

Realistic Style Figures
Pros: Fits with the 3.75" platform, collectors will continue to collect the line, kids already are buying up the figures, these would add to their current play patterns/collections, some of the new figures could be created using parts from previously released figures saving development costs, any vehicles that have been previously issued in the 3.75" line that are featured in the cartoon can be repainted and re-released to the benefit of no additional tooling costs.

Cons: Characters don't "look" exactly like they did in the cartoon.

Animated Style Figures
Pros: Characters look as they do in the cartoon, kid-friendly designs

Cons: Figures do not fit with the existing 3.75" platform, collectors could choose the make the design style a deciding factor on whether or not to buy into the line, all figures have to be developed using 100% new toolings, figures could not be created using existing tooling until an adequate library of parts had been developed, existing vehicles that might be featured in the cartoon need to be completely made from scratch.

That's all I can think of right now, if anyone wants to add or subtract my points, feel free to do so to further the discussion. I just can't imagine a manager at Hasbro going with the second option in light of how many "cons" that are so blatantly obvious when compared to doing realistic styled figures.

One more point of evidence that leads me to believe that the figures will be realistically styled: the glimpse of the AT-TE we got looks pretty spot-on in terms of the vehicle. Sure it might be slightly smaller than it should be, but it looks as good (if not better) than the current AT-AT we have. If they were doing the cartoon style, I don't think it would have all of the detail that appears to be present on the toy.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 07:19 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter