Author Topic: Realistic Clone Wars 3D Figures  (Read 51580 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Style for the Clone Wars 3D Figures?
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I just won't buy much of the animated stuff.  The only stuff I'll buy is what I think I might be able to use for customs.  And so far that's pretty minimal.

They also run the risk of losing some people altogether with this line.

I think overall it's a risky strategy, but we'll all have a better idea in a few months.  All we can do right now is speculate.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2008, 11:49 PM »
I can already hear people freaking out about realistic versions of figures from the toons about a year from now...  It'll be painful, angry, cries across many a geek forum.  "Why Hasbro...  Why did you make me buy those animated figures like you did!?"

You know it'll happen.

Heh, I agree with you there.  then there will be the rest of us who will say a polite and quick thank you to Hasbro for putting out the realistic versions. I don't expect I'm going to want all of the realistic style figures from this new Clone Wars cartoon. But certainly those few main characters I already commented on and maybe more depending on the cartoon itself.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Sal - I absolutely meant no offense to any die-hard collectors. You can still be a die-hard collector and decide that these animated figures fall too far outside the line of the regular 3.75" figures for you to pick up. For me I draw the line at things like Mighty Muggs, I don't like them at all, so I'm not going to buy them. Yes that doesn't make me a Hasbro completist, true, so I have adopted the term "selective completist" to define how I collect the line. I get all 3.75", 2" unleashed, 3" titanium and SideShow's "continuation" of the Hasbro 12" line. For me, that's enough.

I guess the term I should have used was the uber-completist like Jeff did. Jeff's scenario is exactly what I was trying to say, whether by choice or accident, this move by Hasbro is going to result in uber-completists (or in my case a selective completist who gets all 3.75" items) buying characters like Ashoka or Anakin with his post Padawan/pre ROTS hair or Captain Rex essentially twice in two different styles.

Where I don't necessarily agree with some of you is that Hasbro is going to turn around and make the entire line animated at some point.

The verdict is still not in on the popularity of the "animated style" when it comes to a toy line. You could almost say that the Force Battlers were their first stab at an animated style line. That failed miserably.

Going back to what I said in the original post, to even come out and admit that you're going to re-release the Yoda w/Kybuk figure on a Clone Wars card tells me right off the bat that Hasbro thinks the Yoda figure they designed for the Clone Wars line is a dud. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the toy buyers for the big retail chains told them that they didn't like the change of the look in the line. I'm sure Hasbro tried to put a business spin on the move, but if I was the buyer for Target stores and I knew I currently had a glut of Animated Pirates of the Caribbean figures in my stockrooms that aren't selling, I'd be very hesitant to pick up another animated style line based on a movie franchise.

I would not be surprised to find that some of these "Legends" figures they say are going to be re-releases will actually fall into the category of "different enough" to make you want to buy. For example. Take the Evolutions Clone Commander w/Removeable Helmet. Include the helmet that came with the Comic Pack Alpha figure, paint the figure to match the markings on Captain Rex and with just some simple parts swapping you have a realistic style Captain Rex figure. For Hasbro, that figure is technically a "re-release" it required absolutely no new tooling to produce.

I guess in the end we'll have to just wait and see, but I can't see them making an animated style line for the live-action TV series. They have proven over the last 5-6 years that they can still improve on figures they've made of core characters and they will continue to improve on them - the realistic style line isn't going anywhere. By 2010, we'll all look back at 2008 and laugh at Hasbro's "great experiment" with the Clone Wars line and how by Fall 2009 they were back to producing 100% realistic styled figures.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2008, 11:38 AM »
Going back to what I said in the original post, to even come out and admit that you're going to re-release the Yoda w/Kybuk figure on a Clone Wars card tells me right off the bat that Hasbro thinks the Yoda figure they designed for the Clone Wars line is a dud.

Yep.  That right there is enough proof for me that they don't see animated figures being a long term thing with Star Wars.

On another note, I see that Transformers is going to have an animated line too.  I wonder how that will do.  I'm thinking not so hot.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05 PM »
I didn't take offense Pete. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't misconstruing the comment about die-hard collectors. that's all. (kind of like our "friend" on RS defining himself as a photojournalist and not allowing room for others-especially new people). I'd say after 30 years collecting, even if I were to quit today, I'd still consider myself a die-hard. Cause man, if you collect for that long, it truly was hard for you to die with regards to collecting, right? lol

Anyway, no worries.

And I hope you are right too Pete in your thoughts about the line returning to realistic style.

I do see 2008 being pretty light on collecting for a good portion of we collectors.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:06 PM by jedi_master_sal »
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I dunno... I think there's STILL going to be a crapload of stuff to buy for those passing on the animated figures.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 1, 2008, 02:12 PM »

Does anyone think this won't happen?   ???

I think of it this way - when is the best time to sell things to kids?  While it's hot/hip/new/fresh/exciting.

That's why we are seeing the animated figures first.  Do the animated style figures first, cash in on the kids (and uber-completeists) with the initial excitement of the movie/cartoon.  If they collect some average collector cash too, it's a bonus. 

Then, once the kids move on to the next thing or get bored, Hasbro goes back and does the realistic style type figures for us.  The uber-completeists & some average collectors take another hit and the other collectors they missed before buy in finally.

If they started with "realistic" style and then went animated, many causal fans would pass on the animated stuff becuase they'd already have the realistic figures that matched what they have now.  By doing the animated stuff first, you get the casual folks to buy some animated first, then try to get them to re-buy characters in realistic style later...

I see people saying "when the animated line fails, then they will make realistic style" like Hasbro needs to learn some lesson from this... how do we know that wasn't their plan all along?   Maybe they sat down and decided "we'll sell as much animated as we can to kids and then sell the realistic style once the animated has run it's course"? Makes sense to me and certainly flows with things they've done in the past to extend the line...  ;)

Great post Jeff.

But you're assuming they know their consumer base and market.

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2008, 03:44 AM »
As per the front page there, a nifty Clone Wars Clone Trooper showed up on Ebay...

While I'm no fan of the animated figures, I say that only because they don't jive with my collection now and (to me) are a completely new collection of figures wholely separate of the modern line as it stands today.

Still, I think the animation rocks in its styling and that the toys look REALLY cool based on the animation.  Plus I'm glad to see Hasbro's hidden any action features built into figures for the most part, and ultimately only Yoda really has any kind of feature built into him while the others have it in their accessories.  Hasbro did try to keep these appealing to the hardcore fans and that's cool.  Thumbs up to them for the effort regardless of how I feel on animated figures.

Anyway, one surfaces so more are bound to follow soon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2008, 08:59 PM »
This clone trooper looks wicked. makes me want these figures even more, AND BALL JOINTED WRISTS! ::)

Hasbro really is going all out this year in trying to make us happy.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2008, 09:47 AM »
Although I'm not picking up the animated figures, I have to give props, this guy looks fantastic.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2008, 10:02 AM »
That helmut looks huge, i wonder if i can customize that into a Dark Helmut figure.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Although I'm not picking up the animated figures, I have to give props, this guy looks fantastic.

I have to agree with you Anthony...  It is a fantastic looking figure.  You have to give Hasbro props for the effort on these, and I wish our Clones got that nice a weathering paintjob on them.

Animated fans should be really happy with this line I'd think.  It's far superior to the original Animated line for the original CW toon in terms of overall quality.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2008, 09:13 PM »
I was just re-reading this and noting how many people are going to pass on this sub-line.  I bet many who do, will buy the Big New Falcon.  It's as if Hasbro knew there would be lots of collectors passing, and filled the void with a giant ship that can gobble up our cash!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2008, 12:24 AM »
Well not that the void is that big...  Basic figures and comic packs going up $1 a piece, plenty of Legends waves seem to be coming, lots of realistic vehicles, the aforementioned comic packs, exclusives, battle packs, ultimate battle packs...  There's a lot to fill that CW basic figure void for me for certain. ;)

May financial good fortune smile on those planning to buy it all.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2008, 01:20 PM »
I was just re-reading this and noting how many people are going to pass on this sub-line.  I bet many who do, will buy the Big New Falcon.  It's as if Hasbro knew there would be lots of collectors passing, and filled the void with a giant ship that can gobble up our cash!

Yep, that's what I thought too. The money I'm saving by not getting the animated line, will be sapped away by what I'm spending on vehicles this year.