Author Topic: Tech help on Coaxial cable  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Tech help on Coaxial cable
« on: January 28, 2008, 10:41 AM »
I figured I'd see if any of you lot might know if what I need to do is possible...

I have cable internet service, but not TV. My TV comes in via antenna signal using coaxial cable, both lines go to separate rooms.

Now, I'd like to move my modem to my TV area without running a separate line. The question is, can I put both the Antenna signal and the Modem signal on the same line and have them work with each device again?

From what I've researched, what I'm trying to do is possible. I've called my cable company and unofficially the said it should be doable. I've already runs some tests using splitters in reverse. I can get the TV signal, but not the modem.  Will a Diplexer help? Is there anything anyone can suggest or would one advise against it due to signal loss?

Thoughts?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Tech help on Coaxial cable
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:21 AM »
I can't say for sure how it will work out for you.  The only comment I can make is to make sure that your splitter is of a very high quality as you can have substantial signal loss. 

Very recently I had been mucking about with the coaxial cables for our internet/cable which are the same main line.  We have three lines split just inside the house.  This was set up by the cable company itself and everything worked fine until I started mucking about.  I subsequently split one exit jack in the computer room into two with a Radio Shack type splitter so I could have tv and cable there.  Everything was fine Until I split the signal again when we started working on the basement.  I split one line there off into three.  After that I basically lost the signal for the computer.  I'm still not sure that the tech really did that much when he came in, but he did replace my Radio Shack quality splitters with cable company splitters and I haven't had an issue since :-\  So there seems to be something to that theory. 

In your case I'm not quite understanding what you want, because I'm not seeing how you can't run the cable line into the other room.  Unless you can get the internet off the antenna, the source is different to the way I'm reading it (worry not, I'm sure the problem is with my comprehension).  If they were like my situation, a split would be easy.  But I'm not seeing how you can access the modem signal without actually tapping into that signal. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:06 PM »
Thanks. That helps give perspective. Might not be your comprehension, so allow me to clarify...

My Antenna cable goes right to my TV, my modem cable runs to another room. I got the Xbox 360 and would like to jack right into my cable modem instead of going wireless or using a ridiculously long Ethernet cable, so I have to move the cable modem to the TV. Since I've already got the Antenna cable right there, I'm just trying to be lazy and avoid doing two things; crawling under the house to re-run the cable line and drilling another hole in my hardwood floors.

I think my problem might be the splitters I'm using. I'll have to look into something more industrial strength.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Anthony I think the problem you're running into is the splitter.  In most caese you can run multiple types of signals thru a signel cable, like TV, internet, radio, etc.  The reason being is they run on different frequencies.  All you need is a splitter that's has a larger frequency range. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Thanks Brent and Jay. Turns out, I wound up running an ethernet cable from my XBox, under my house, to my Modem. Hardest part was putting a new plug on the end of the Ethernet cable I had to cut to fit into the existing holes. But, mission complete, I'm on xBox live!

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 09:32 AM »
White-orange, Orange, White-green, Blue, White-blue, Green, White-brown, Brown.

Story of my life.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2008, 09:27 AM »
White-orange, Orange, White-green, Blue, White-blue, Green, White-brown, Brown.

Story of my life.

Try doing it without the crimper.  :P

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2008, 09:46 AM »
 :-X