Author Topic: I'm in Nashville for work; what should I do for fun?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
I'm in Nashville for work; what should I do for fun?
« on: January 29, 2008, 12:23 AM »
Ideas?  I am staying at the Opryland Resort.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: So I am in Nashville for work; what should I do in spare time?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Depends on what you like to do. Head down to Broadway or 2nd Ave and hit up some of the bars. If Colman was around this site anymore he would demand you go to Wildcats for him. Check out Printers Alley, it's always got some good live music.  If you into historical sites, The Hermitage is close to where you are staying. It's Andrew Jackson's house/plantation. Stones River Battlefield in Murfreesboro is a cool Civil War experience if you're into that. If you're still in town on Thursday, the Predators are back in town facing the Blue Jackets.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 02:49 PM »
If Colman was around this site anymore he would demand you go to Wildcats for him.

Yep!  Don't miss that place, Matt.  Basically, Coyote Ugly... if you're into that kinda thing.  ;)

God, I love tractors.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:55 PM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:53 AM »
Thanks.  Sounds like some good suggestions.  I'll let you know what I try.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 4, 2008, 09:42 PM »
Thanks.  Couldn;t find Wildcats, but I did hit up Coyote Ugly for 5 minutes.  Pretty lame.  Had a great time in the honkytonks - Robert's was my fave.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2008, 11:01 PM »
Stay inside, lock doors and keep shades closed.  Its possible that they won't notice you and you can get through this without being infected.  Good luck man!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2008, 12:15 AM »
I'm back now.  Glad to be. 

Saw a great band in Printer's Alley too.  Rock from the 70s and 80's.  Lead singer had a voice that was a ringer for steve Perry.  He knocked the hell out of Don't Stop Believin'.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2008, 12:19 AM by JediMoses »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2008, 09:58 AM »
I'm back now.  Glad to be. 

Saw a great band in Printer's Alley too.  Rock from the 70s and 80's.  Lead singer had a voice that was a ringer for steve Perry.  He knocked the hell out of Don't Stop Believin'.

Too late - Matt was infected!!!  Quarantine!

Hope you had a fun trip!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Stuff to do in Nashville?
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 03:11 PM »
So, I gotta go to Nashville next week to visit the father-in-law for a week. He's not much for doing stuff, since he's sorta disabled, so I'm not going to totally depend on his suggestions for stuff for us to do. I gotta say, though, I'm at a complete loss as to what to do there. The Hermitage seems like the only thing. There's the Parthenon, but I'm skeptical at best. My wife suggested the zoo (big whoop), but what else? I was all excited about taking a day trip (just me) to the Jack Daniel's Distillery, but then I found out it's in a dry county, so no tasting (boo!), so why even visit?

Anyone have any suggestions at all? Keep in mind that we probably can't travel far with the kids (so no Dollywood) and whatever has got to have something that will at least interest them a bit...maybe.

Um, and we're not much into country music (clarification: we don't like country music), so that's a factor to consider, too.

And are there good places to eat, that shouldn't be missed? I realize there's a lot of meat and three there, but since I don't eat meat, that's sort of a negative.

At least the motel has a pool.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in Nashville for work; what should I do for fun?
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 07:08 PM »
DRINK HEAVILY!!!!

According to the Travel Channel - Loveless Cafe has a really good breakfast as does Pancake Pantry.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: I'm in Nashville for work; what should I do for fun?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Well, I just returned from a week in Nashville with the family, and my concerns were just confirmed; there's not really much to do there. We went to the Parthenon, but that was a big snore. The Nashville Zoo was above-average good, as zoo's go. The Hermitage was fine, as historical places go, but not really great for the kiddos. It's fairly pretty and green away from the city, but the weather was so dang hot and humid, it made any type of outdoor activity un-fun. I wanted to see at least one Civil War site, so we went to the Carnton Plantation in Franklin. The site was OK, but Franklin sure has nice houses. We also visited the Opryland hotel/resort and that's pretty neat, especially for the kids.

We did drink heavily, but it was only water, since we'd get dehydrated so quickly. We didn't get out to the Loveless Cafe or Pancake Pantry, since the breakfast was free at the hotel, but did manage to try a Cracker Barrel (decent) and had dinner at Steamboat Bill's (pretty good). I guess the positives I took were that traffic was bearable and Nashville has a good radio station (Jack FM).

Also, we rented a Dodge Charger to get around, and it's a shame what Chrysler has done to that once proud Charger name.