Author Topic: Muftak's Displays--Updated 8/17  (Read 19258 times)

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Muftak's Custom Shelf Displays
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 05:25 PM »
What I love about this is that it is a cleaner quicker way to display everything with out  obsessing about whether or not ther are ceiling lights in the cantina or which cubicle did the Modal Nodes actually play in. What I am trying to say is that I am trying to reproduce every scene from each movie. It's been taking me seven yrs and I think it's going to take another 7.  I wish I took your root.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Great stuff Bobb...I really love yout stuff.

Do you still have your Cloud City and Death Star?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2008, 07:30 PM »
Beautiful job on these shelves Bobb. I really love your blending of function and design. I really think this is a great way to display your figures. The tiered layout works very well in showing off all the figures at once. You really captured the feel of both environments without actually making movie accurate dioramas, which really isn't an easy thing to do. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you can come up with for your Hoth shelf.

I had just started on a tiered display for my Stargate figures and it was originally just going to be a boring old set of white foamcore steps. After seeing your work here I knew I had to do something more with it. So I'm taking inspiration from you and am going to try my hand at some diorama shelving.

Again, great work on the shelves!  :)
"This is the way."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 09:15 AM »
Thanks for all that guys.

I moved (for the last time!) in late 2005, and since then my collection has been in storage in the basement, including the Death Star and still incomplete Cloud City...there just isn't room and my wife and I agreed that when the basement eventually gets finished it will be the collection room. But until then I wanted some way to at least have the figures out. I was also secretly envious of Scott's spice-rack riser shelves, and I wanted something with that sort of depth and streamlined look.

This idea popped when I stumbled upon the plans for the Empire Strikes Back Pride Display and realized they were making dioshelves (shelfaramas?) with specifically enough space for the vintage figures from each of the movies. It struck me as the perfect display option.

My only problem was I wanted to display modern figures, and while the number of vintage figures is pretty managable the modern ones have literally no end in sight. So before I could even begin to make shelves I had to decide the size and depth of what my "ultimate" figure collection would be. I came up with a list of about 350 figures, mainly the OT but I reserved space for some PT and EU essentials. (That list has been very liberating to my collecting compulsion, as well, because it puts a purpose to the compulsion and a definite end in sight.) With that list in hand, I could break up the figures into different kinds of arrangements and see how much space I needed. And that led to my current work.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I just had a look at your Cloud City and Death Star sets as well, and I must say they're extremely impressive.  The size is actually quite manageable, and the layout and design maximizes that space in a practical and aesthetically pleasing manner.  The fact that the details are so crisp and clean (especially on the Cloud City set) really sells these pieces.  Superb work all around.

Offline The Professor

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Dioramas at The Jawa
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 02:09 AM »
He's back!!!

Muftak, it's great to see you around.  I really like these new displays.  You've definitely captured a unique look that mirrors the various locations each shelf represents.  Great work!  I really like the detail on the piping in the cantina and the wall patterns on the imperial display.
"Go plug the professor into the back!"

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 04:22 PM »
I agree, these are fantastic. A great way to put the figures in context, while maintaining display value-

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 08:51 PM »
WOW! These are sweet!
Do you do commissions?
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 01:14 AM »
Nice work Muftak!  Very cool display where your figures can hang out.   :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
HOTH Shelf Display
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 06:29 PM »
Okay, so I'm back with my newest shelf. I took my inspiration for the look of this one's tiers from the walls of the vintage Imperial Attack Base.

I designed the top shelf around the Bacta Tank and Wampa Cave, so that they will be able to support another shelf stacked on top eventually.

I had a lot of fun building this one, it was scary in a way because I've never tackled an environmental (as opposed to architectural) diorama before. I think it works.

Thanks for looking!

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Muftak's Shelf Displays--HOTH Update 3/14
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Brilliant!!

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 07:39 PM »
Those are beautiful. I wish I had the patience to custom build stuff like that, because I have some very specific ideas of how I'd like to display my figures. I use those white spice risers your pointed out in OCB's pics. I like to economize my space by more or less displaying them rank and file like that, as opposed to enormous dioramas and scenes. Graduated shelves are great for keeping the guys in back as visible as the ones in front. Those are a good start, but they're kind of uglyish. So, customized SW motifs like your cantina alcoves and SD bridge are perfect!

I'd also like my shelves to be pegged to keep all those boogers from falling over all the time. I tried pegging the risers with Ultarama pegs, but the holes came out retarded. (If I can't accomplish that, imagine the trouble I'd have scratch building this sort of thing!)

Have you pegged any of your display shelves??

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Looks great!  I'm more of a diorama guy, but if I ever change my focus on how I display my collection, this looks like a fantastic way to go about it.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 08:37 PM »
Very nice work Bobb. The Hoth display looks great. I really like the touch of blue/grey you added to it. It really adds to the effect and I think it looks much more realistic than it would if it were just solid white.

Now if only Hasbro would make some more decent figures for you to fill it out with... :P
"This is the way."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2008, 12:41 AM »
That is brilliant! I definately need something like this for all my figures.
I remember my dream now.