Author Topic: Star Wars Fan on Dr. Phil (1.30.08)  (Read 4227 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:27 AM by Jeff »
I remember my dream now.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Fan on Dr. Phil today 1.30.08
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55 AM »
pfft only 20 or so action figures...what an amateur  ::)
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Only 20 or so Stormtroopers.  But I seriously doubt that guy has paid over $200,000 for his collection.  If he has, I think he's gotten ripped off somewhere.  I've spent a lot of scratch in the last 12 years but nowhere near that much.  And I have a LOT of stuff (for good or bad).

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02 AM »
And I always tell my wife, there's others out there who are worse than me. I'm a pick and choose kind of guy that only gets basic figures...

and she should be pleased I didn't ask for SW in the wedding. While I like SW, I don't need to have it in all aspects in my life.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 11:58 AM »
Oh carp, my fiancee better not hear about this...

And 20 Stormies? Gawd, what an amateur. Try several hundred dude..

$200K on his collection? Extremely doubtful. Even with buying the high end stuff, and he didn't look like he was a completist with high end collectibles, unless you're a super collector, I can't see anyone having that much money in their SW collection.

I've got an easy mid 5-figures collection and I army build like mad, have most of the GG busts and some high end stuff.  NO way this dude's got that much money into his collection.

I wonder if he's on any message boards? If so, why haven't we heard of this before now?

Looking at this from her point of view, I can see how she would think it's a bad thing. However, she DID know of this before hand. And to think someone will "grow out of it?" She should have talked to him first about this if she really was concerned, BEFORE getting engaged to him.

I had a modest collection when I met my fiancee, it's grow ever since and we've both adapted to it.  If she ever thought I'd grow out of it, she'd be crazy. Admitedly, I've said I'll quit or at least greatly reduce how much I collect by the time I'm 40, but SW will never truly fall out of my life. Also, with regards to my fiancee, she was a collector at the time too, so that really helped. Over the years I helped her complete the old X-men figs, Simpsons, Batman animated ( the early one), Digimon, etc. While all the while, I've only collected SW (except last year when I got into Movie Transformer figs and some Halo stuff).

He does seem a little obsessive, but then again I know I've done some things over the years that could be constituted as that as well.

Midnight madness anyone?
Going to any of the Celebrations?
Collecting club meetings.
Making deals with other collectors in parking lots for toys (I've seen this more than partaken of it, but it happens).
etc...

The one line in the link that disturbed me though was the last one in which he said, "If I HAD to pay for college..." Of course you will have to pay for it, dimwit. Just start putting money aside or invest it now. Or consider dwindling down what you collect.

I've certainly come to the conclusion some time ago that I do NOT need to have EVERYTHING SW. Hasbro stuff and GG busts are good enough for me, with the rare occasional other item.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:33 PM »
So JayDouble when is out next collector meeting so we can exchange toys in the parking lot of Round Table pizza?  ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 05:22 PM »
So JayDouble when is out next collector meeting so we can exchange toys in the parking lot of Round Table pizza?  ;)

I don't know if you're jesting or meaning it, but I've had trades and deals with my other local SW collectors in parking lots.

Usually it's at a toy con, but we get together nearly every month and have a "swap" meet of sorts.

I did all three midnight madnessessssss and was obsessive about being there early to be first in line.

I'm kinda glad that stuff is over now, but I do look back at them as fond memories even if they appear to be obsessive by others.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Both actually. The southern california board members get together once a quarter to hang out, talk star wars toys, drink beer and take care of some trading. It's one of my favorite things to do. People wonder what all these guys are doing in the middle of the parking lot with a bunch of boxes around us swapping money back and forth. Are people thinking its a big drug deal or we're selling things that 'fell off the truck".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:02 AM by Master_Phruby »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 05:40 PM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates them for their thirst-quenching properties.

"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 06:12 PM »
I can't stop laughing.  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2008, 07:03 PM »
I just watched a short clip on CNN talking about this. She is worried about his obsession about collecting SW! Ha! Lady, worry about the crap around your teeth. Everytime she is talking I see green crap around those chicklets.  :-X

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 09:19 PM »
That's disgusting.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 09:48 PM »
She's lucky she has a hippo man.
Though, does he do anything besides SW? Naming your kid Leia? Come on.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 07:27 AM »
Only 20 or so Stormtroopers.  But I seriously doubt that guy has paid over $200,000 for his collection.  If he has, I think he's gotten ripped off somewhere.  I've spent a lot of scratch in the last 12 years but nowhere near that much.  And I have a LOT of stuff (for good or bad).

E...

That was my first question while watching...how the heck does he get to $200K?  ST armor could be around $1500.  A complete set of vintage figures can be found on ebay for around the same.  The CNN clip showed that he had an icons saber.  I saw mostly Hasbro and Legos in his basement with a few GG statues.  I have a large quantity of MR stuff, not everything, but pretty close along with all the 3 3/4" and 12" Hasbro, all the Legos, about a dozen or so GG busts, and all the Sideshow 12" and a ton of books and I haven't even spent half that amount according to my spreadsheet.  I think he has over estimated his spending.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 10:03 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates them for their thirst-quenching properties.

Oh crap. I just realized what I wrote. That is funny. ;D