Author Topic: JD Fantasy Baseball 2008  (Read 46493 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Baseball 2008
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2008, 02:08 AM »
Young or Cuddyer maybe.  Not much else.  Honest. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2008, 02:19 AM »
I wouldn't have any use for those guys - so that takes a little of the sting off.  In any event, I'm pretty happy with Soto as it is.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2008, 10:46 PM »
I think we need about 2 more bench spots...  ::)

I second that.  Or possibly another DL spot...  I've got three guys on the DL right now and at one point had 5 :o.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2008, 12:40 AM »

I don't like seeing people penalized for IR stuff so you should be able to replace those players that are hurt.  I'm ok with one more bench spot but I think 2 is too many as guys just store players on their roster.  I think the 2 DL spots makes up for the need for too many more bench spots so I'm suggesting just one more bench spot. 

It's more fun making hard decisions than watching people store bodies on their roster for the sole purpose of not letting others have them. 

I can see having another DL spot next year (up to 3) but at the same time, the same argument applies: how much value do you place on that player?  Dressel got hammered last year with IR stuff, others have as well.  Just part of the game, whether it's baseball, football, basketball or whatever. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2008, 11:56 PM »
Well I just want more guys because I don't have any way to really maintain back-ups for the entire field.  Unless you end up with a guy who is designated at multiple positions, it's really hard to use up all your games and innings.  Part of this is because most teams play 5 or 6 games a week and there aren't a lot of days when you can actually get your other players in.  I had designs of keeping Doumit and Soto because in the 3 or 4 years I've done this I've never even come close to using all my games at Catcher - but I just don't have the roster space to devote to 2 of those guys, and it's a shame because I set it up the way I wanted it.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 18, 2008, 09:40 AM »
I was just thinking, hypothetically, if one of us were to start 3 pitchers, like maybe a Padre, a D'Back, and a Brave, and like, they gave up a combined 21 H, 18 ER, 9 BB, and 6 HR in... i dunno.... say 11.2 IP, that would be really bad.

Just had a dream about that happening, it'd be weird if it really did.

I must have had a large carbohydrate load directly prior to sleep.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 18, 2008, 11:00 AM »
Yeah, that was an ungodly result last night.  I sort of thought it would happen to Hudson since the Rangers can hit, but Webb?  That blew my mind.

Now I'm thinking I have to sit Haren today with the way the A's were swinging...  My pitching is definitely taking a turn for the worse.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 18, 2008, 11:38 AM »

Now I'm thinking I have to sit Haren today with the way the A's were swinging...  My pitching is definitely taking a turn for the worse.

Or you can package him with Burrell and send him to me for Ellsbury.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 18, 2008, 12:05 PM »
With my pitching as suddenly shaky as it is, I'm going to hang onto him for now.

And Brutal is the word I was looking for earlier... those numbers were brutal.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 18, 2008, 03:21 PM »
With my pitching as suddenly shaky as it is, I'm going to hang onto him for now.

Haren and Burrell aren't the players you're looking for.  You will move them along to me.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2008, 09:20 AM »
So I'm going to take a wild guess and say that 'INF' in the ERA and WHIP columns for Carlos Marmol stands for 'infinity'...  WOW!  And I thought Mark Buehrle's opening day performance was bad...  That ruined an otherwise good night from my other pitchers...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:36 AM by I Am Sith »
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 20, 2008, 10:45 AM »
So I'm going to take a wild guess and say that 'INF' in the ERA and WHIP columns for Carlos Marmol stands for 'infinity'...  WOW!  And I thought Mark Buehrle's opening day performance was bad...  That ruined an otherwise good night from my other pitchers...

Yeah, ERA is earned runs divided by IP - so apparently Marmol couldn't record an out and gave up some batting practice.

Just once I'd like to see "INF" on my bank statement instead of my Y! team page.

:D

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 20, 2008, 11:55 AM »
Yeah, ERA is earned runs divided by IP - so apparently Marmol couldn't record an out and gave up some batting practice.

Yeah, he walked two, hit a batter and then was taken out...  The next pitcher gave up a grand slam...

Just once I'd like to see "INF" on my bank statement instead of my Y! team page.

Now that I would like to see!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Does anyone know where I can check on stat corrections?  2 of the runs Webb gave up in his last start were changed to unearned and I want to make sure that's reflected in the numbers.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2008, 09:41 AM »
It never fails.  A few days after I get rid of him Curtis Granderson starts a 15 day hitting streak and raises his average almost 60 points:

Granderson hit a pair of triples and extended his hitting streak to 15 games. Over the past 15 games Granderson is hitting .436 (24-for-55) with two homers, seven RBI and two stolen bases and has raised his average from .235 to .294. The window of opportunity to obtain Granderson from a disgruntled owner is gone, but if you were able to buy low, enjoy the ride.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:43 AM by I Am Sith »