Author Topic: McQuarrie 2009?  (Read 9634 times)

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: McQuarrie 2009?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Did McQuarrie ever do concept vehicles,ships. I'd love to have something to go with the figures. A concept AT-AT would be cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2008, 11:51 PM »
Not only did McQuarrie do them...  So did Hasbro.

Hasbro did the Concept Snowspeeder which is insanely accurate, the concept Speederbike, and the concept Cloud Car... 

One of my favorite McQuarrie bits I own is an autograph of the picture of a flight of B-Wings flying past a blowing up Destroyer...  This was originally a sequence for ROTJ, but only the Destroyer blowing up remained because of the difficulties in filming the B-Wing and having it actually be easy to see...  The B-Wings don't look much different. 

Another famous picture is McQuarrie's "blue A-Wing", which is really nice and a lot of people are asking/hoping for a repainted A-Wing in these colors. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 07:53 AM »
Actually, the Concept Cloud Car and Snowspeeder were designed by McQuarrie, but the bike was a Joe Johnston design.  Now, if Hasbro wanted to do Joe Johnston Concept line, we could get some very cool figures.

McQuarrie also did a nice X-wing/Tie painting for A New Hope, the x-wing, in my opinion, is different enough to warrent a toy, but still iconic enough that non-hardcore collectors might like it.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 05:59 PM »
Yo Jesse, were these featured in the films, or were they strictly concepts. I could have sworn i saw a snowspeeder with more of a bubble type cockpit rather than the rectangular type. Can anyone help  out with some pics?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 08:32 PM »
The Snowspeeder's concept sketches were very similar to final designs, just smaller...  I don't recall any other snowspeeder in the film than what we saw.

The Cloud Car's design is also similar, just changed to a dual cockpit design with an engine attachment to the center of course.

There's a handful of speederbike designs...  I don't know who came up with the final one, but like speedermike said the design used for the toy is a Joe Johnston design (I personally hate it...  Not a good concept IMO, but whatever).  I think McQuarrie got the final look of the bikes down really from what I recall.

The designs all have turned up in the EU though...  The snowspeeder's turned up as a combat airspeeder the Alliance uses, the speederbike's just "another model swoop/bike" type thing, and the cloud car is the same deal basically. 

Some concept designs turn up in the films too from time to time...  The TurboTank was originally the design of the AT-AT in ESB which turned into the Juggernaught (much cooler name) in EU, and then rolled over into ROTS as "canon".
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline manglord

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 04:21 AM »
I don't have a snowspeeder, but I'm interested now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 04:21 AM by manglord »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 07:27 AM »
That Hoth Rebel soldiers running into that image look like another possible figure.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2008, 02:27 AM »
I would like to see this concept line continue. Even if the focus is not McQuarrie's work. There is just so many cool concepts for Star Wars. Plus nothing seems out of place with the basic line. If the do come out with more, I would like the focus to be aliens more so that the main characters we got this year.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2008, 06:55 AM »
I think that eventually this subline will return in 2010, but i really wish the next subline we could get are realistic style Droids and Ewoks characters. I think that would be awesome.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"