Author Topic: Build A Better Vulture Droid...  (Read 5231 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Build A Better Vulture Droid...
« on: June 17, 2008, 04:07 AM »
This is a little tip, little-known among the collecting world it seems because I sure don't see these often...

Anyway, Hasbro's Vulture Droids are 100% clearly underscaled machines.  They're alright if scale isn't important to you, and readily available cheap, but there's better out there...

Estes Model Rockets made a number of rocket kits for Star Wars over the years, and one just happened to be a Vulture Class Droid Starfighter.  Actually two are...  One is in a blister-type hanging package, and it's dinky, so avoid it.

The other, however, is boxed, and cost about $25 originally at Wal-Mart or hobby stores...  And it's just about damn near 100% to-scale.  A hair over, actually (1:16), but really the fudge room there is minimal...  Another half inch the other way and it's almost exactly 1:18 rounded up...  So what's this mean?

Well, it means you do have better Vulture Droid options out there...  A droid that makes an appearance in at least two of the prequal films, and possibly AOTC as well.  I forget if it was in there or not, but if it isn't it will still be a big player in Clone Wars coming up.  That's a given...

The problem; they don't seem too common.  :-\

Here's the droid...

I've known about the size/droid possibilities for a while, better than 2 years I think, actually.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to find one to verify it compared to figures, until recently.  Like I said, they don't seem to come around on Ebay often...  I got one the other day for a fair price though.  It's a sharp piece too, very detailed actually, and so it'll look good with the figures.

Anyway...  Tired of your Droid Fighters being inky dinky and weak?  Hell yeah you are...  Go out and improve your Droid army's scale.  The tinnies will thank you for it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Build A Better Vulture Droid...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:38 AM »
I'll do you one better Jesse. Look what can be done with this set:

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/rs_droid.htm

This is amazing work and craftsmanship.

I think I bought one of these back in the day.

True enough, they are hard to come by now.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Build A Better Vulture Droid...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:03 AM »
I actually pulled my photo from the guy that rebuilt his into a walking mode Vulture Droid Fighter...  A very cool upgrade from scratch.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77