Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106335 times)

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43 PM »
I agree with Rick McCallum, but Ben Burtt the sound guy???? Is he really a yes-man?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2008, 03:47 PM »
I agree with Rick McCallum, but Ben Burtt the sound guy???? Is he really a yes-man?
Ben was the editor on all 3 prequels as well as being the sound guy.  To me, the editing was a huge downfall of the entire Prequels which is a symptom of the Editor not being able to say no to the Director.

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 03:52 PM »
I see your point. Hopefully this movie doesnt fall into the same trap though.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 01:17 PM »
The net is a buzz with pictures from the new movie. Ew.com has the scoop, clicky below.

Spoiler Warning, link will contain spoilers

'Star Trek': New Movie, New Vision

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 04:31 PM »
I have to admit, I'm not necessarily a huge Trek fan - but there was a time when I watched it fairly regularly.  My Dad was into the original series (and movies), so I remember watching those repeats as a kid - and we both also got into The Next Generation for a time, but the first couple season of that was probably the last Trek that I watched.  This new movie looks kind of nifty though, and I'm starting to get more interested after reading that article (thanks for posting Dale). 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29 AM »
Read the article, studied the pictures. I dunno.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2008, 10:15 AM »
I can just see Spock pointing one of his fingers at the guy's head to start cutting.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2008, 02:57 PM »
So is this still supposed to be a prequel or is it now a reboot? ???

Most of the "updates" I don't really care about but I keep coming back to one thing: the Enterprise bridge:

I see why they wanted to modernize it, but even the layout doesn't resemble the "real" bridge. They're copying the basic look of the universe, down to duplicating the TOS uniforms in a different material ... so why completely redo the bridge? There would have been plenty of ways to update the tech without wholesale redoing the design. ???
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:58 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2008, 10:00 AM »
It's a reboot.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 09:21 AM »
Quoted from comingsoon.net

Paramount Pictures has added a countdown clock on the official website for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek that is counting down to 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern on Monday, November 17th. At that time, the new official trailer will be revealed online, though you can watch it earlier in theaters this weekend with Quantum of Solace.

Linky below:

Countdown to new ST Trailer

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2008, 10:03 AM »
So is this still supposed to be a prequel or is it now a reboot? ???

Most of the "updates" I don't really care about but I keep coming back to one thing: the Enterprise bridge:

I see why they wanted to modernize it, but even the layout doesn't resemble the "real" bridge. They're copying the basic look of the universe, down to duplicating the TOS uniforms in a different material ... so why completely redo the bridge? There would have been plenty of ways to update the tech without wholesale redoing the design. ???

Couldn't look any more like Dawsons Creek/One Tree Hill/90210/Gosip Girls if they tried.

This movie is going to SUCK!!!!
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Well look at the bright side. Maybe Spock will eat Kirk's brains. ;)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 09:23 AM »
IGN has descriptions up of not only the upcoming trailer, but also some scenes that were recently shown to them (and others, I'm guessing).  Spoilers are there, so if you're avoiding though you might not want to read it.  It sounds like they were impressed with what has been shown so far.  Reading through some of the scenes they were shown, it sounds like they are kind of trying to "Star Wars" it up a little bit, but maybe just one scene is making me think that.  Like I said earlier, I'm no expert on Trek, but did watch the show in repeats (and the earlier movies) with my dad when I was a kid.  It never appealed to me the way Star Wars did, but I'm willing to give it a chance.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2008, 10:10 AM »
I have been reading about some of the 20 minutes of footage screened for the press that were released online, sounds good thus far.

EW.com has a pic posted of an exclusive first look at the Enterprise. Spoiler in linky, you have been warned!

I'm impressed.  :P

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I think it looks good.  I've personally not really enjoyed a Star Trek movie since Kahn, so hopefully this reboot will be more like the newer Batman movies and less like the newer Superman movie.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today