Community > Watto's Junk Yard

Star Trek

<< < (40/75) > >>

BillCable:
This reviewer had the same exact reaction as I did.  I'm amazed it's pulling 89% positive on RottenTomatoes.  I mean, just staggeringly stupid...

http://badassdigest.com/2013/05/14/star-trek-into-darkness-spoiler-review/

Matt_Fury:
I saw it today and I thought it was better than the first one.  It definitely had some annoying plot holes (some mentioned by Bill and a few more that weren't), but then I remembered this is Star Trek (famous for remodulating something at the last minute to save everyone) coupled with Damon Lindelof (arguably the laziest writer alive) and you get what you get....a decent popcorn flick.

I just hope that When JJ Abrams screens Episode VII, the lightsabers aren't causing so many damn lens flares!

Diddly:
Saw it tonight... it wasn't as bad as a lot of people on the Internet are making it out to be but I did enjoy the first one better. The plot was really out there.

And as mentioned already, TOO MANY LENS FLARES.

Scockery:
My complaints about the previous movie apply to this one: tries too hard, but delivers very little, instead coasting by on known and lesser known references to the old franchise. Doesn't bod well for the Star Wars sequels, since the prequels were bad enough at times about not being their own thing and just trying to glide by on "hey, that's a reference to..."

Lot of action to distract you from a threadbare plot made from recycled bits of better movies/episodes.

My score: 6/10

SPOILERS

1. The opening...meh. I saw the leaked preview. Spock and Kirk are amazing swimmers.

2. I agree McCoy comes across as a parody and I cannot blame Urban too much except maybe he was miscast.

3. Villain reveal was in place of actual characterization (spoiled it for myself accidentaly days ago  :( ). Cumberbatch is good, but thats  the thing, they had to have a decent actor to make up for Khan being another disposable villain. And let's not question the backstory, he's 300 years behind the times, never said to have an engineering background, but is a speed reader and can develop superiour tech.  Wouldn't it have made more sense that the Section 31 tech came from Nero's ship in the last movie?

4. Weller's character...Admiral Marcus, more villainous than he really should be. It's not like Trek hasn't played the warhawk starfleet officer card before and done it much better.

5. Carol Marcus. Okay, so...in one universe Carol Marcus is a civvie scientist who distrusts Starfleet, in this one she's the Starfleet bigshot's daughter?

6. Khan cries.  :o Who doesn't cry in this movie? :'(  Peter Weller's character and the mute Keenser.

7. WE CAN RADIO SCOTTY ON EARTH (from the Klingon border). THEN SPOCK ON NEW VULCAN. But we cannot send out for help?  ???

8. Klingon ships are of the erector set motiff. Because, god forbid anything look too sleek like that old Trek franchise.

9. Klingons all wear helmets, because WE CAN HAVE ANOTHER REVEAL. Or something.

10. Foot chase...really...in Star Trek? There was already so much running around the ship that it got old.

11. Hey, a tribble...because, you know STAR TREK.

12. Take off those red shirts! You guys wanna die or something?  ;) Then they don't! Ha! Averted trope!

13. Why did Khan save Kirk in space? Because Scotty hadn't opened the door?

14. Khan beamed over Enterprise's guys but not the mostly stunned Adm. Marcus goons. So did any of them wake up or survive the crash...we aren't supposed to care, but...whatever.

15. Did anyone think Kirk was gonna die...I mean, because they weren't paying attention to McCoy's talk of Khan's blood sample earlier? Another telegraphed bit.

16. The enemy ship's crash was so gratuitous. Fitting because the ship was, too. EVILPRISE! Bigger, darker and better armed! (The big bad warship reveal is a Trek joke at this point, too.) Also, conveniently small crew for plot purposes.

Khan: "Heck EVEN ONE GUY CAN OPERATE THE SHIP. Wink-wink."

17. "Hey, I'm Captain again...here's a speech...it's a year later say, how come we aren't at war with the Klingons?" Did we tell them what happened? They believed us? Even though they'd sooner choke a chick than talk.

18. Killing Pike was a mistake. I like Greenwood more than the main cast. Also, we get Kirk wants revenge angle...that lasts for 15 minutes until he realizes Spock is right.

19. For all the vintage references, what's the deal with the "toss in a new alien at inappropriately distracting times"?

"How' are the engines?"

WEIRD CREATURE IN STARFLEET UNIFORM THAT WE'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE replies "Still non operational, sir!"

And never Andorians or Tellerite or any TNG aliens, but new ones that say "Hey, look at this CGI".

20. Oh, boy, guess who is on ice for a wrathful awakening?

Qui-Gon Jim:

--- Quote from: Matt_Fury on May 19, 2013, 01:14 AM ---I saw it today and I thought it was better than the first one.  It definitely had some annoying plot holes (some mentioned by Bill and a few more that weren't), but then I remembered this is Star Trek (famous for remodulating something at the last minute to save everyone) coupled with Damon Lindelof (arguably the laziest writer alive) and you get what you get....a decent popcorn flick.

I just hope that When JJ Abrams screens Episode VII, the lightsabers aren't causing so many damn lens flares!

--- End quote ---
Agreed.  I thought this was a fun movie.  What I think doesn't bode well for Abrams' SW7 is the fans are ALREADY sharpening the knives, and there is basically nothing done on it yet.  This movie was fun, it looked good, and it was entertaining, and meant to be enjoyed by the masses without 50 years of cannon bearing down on it.  It was as good as a few of the Trek features past, and better than more than a few of them.  Movies are not TV shows, so one should not expect the depth or methodical nature when seeing a movie.  The filmmakers don't have 200 episodes to flesh out a character, they have 2 hours.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version