Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 106333 times)

Offline Jedi_Master

• Youngling
  • Owwwwrrrgghh Awwrrraahhhhhrrrgg!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #90 on: May 9, 2009, 07:56 PM »
I just got back from seeing it tonight.  I am a long time fan of the original series.  I used to watch the TV show on an old black and white set, with my Dad, who was a fan from the beginning.    The strange part for me was seeing Kirk as a kid.  I had seen a little of this with Spock in the animated series, so it wasn't far off.     The other strange part was the modernistic redesign of the bridge.  The other changes to costumes and props really didn't stand out.  Even the Enterprise exterior was enough like the original to pass relatively unnoticed.    The glass panels on the bridge however, and the overall white decor did take some getting used to.    Minor points.

The casting of the big 5 - Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Uhura and Scotty, could NOT have been better.   Chris Pine had just the right amount of swagger and attitude to be convincing.  He doesn't look like Shatner.  He doesn't talk like Shatner.   He openly ogles women more than Shatner, but then, we all know what Kirk was thinking in the old days anyway.  He just makes it more obvious now.    Quinto is flawless as Spock.  He has the character down completely.  There is an under the surface ANGER in him that is highly reminiscent of Nimoy in the famous "Amok Time."   McCoy I swear has DeForest Kelly's same Southern twang.  It's subtle, but it's trademark McCoy.  And I swear it's not put on.  It comes across as completely natural.  It's really eerie.  You'll hear lines come out of the new McCoy that were used by Kelly when he was McCoy, and it just sounds right.  His cranky attitude is also spot-on here. Uhura is obviously respectful of the part.  She is classy, smart and absolutely exudes femininity - like Nichelle Nichols did back in the 60's. 

The plot is something that could easily have come from the best of Star Trek novels.  It's the future altered, and in a way so huge, that it tears at the very fabric of history.  And yet, there is a clear sense of fate in this film.  Some things simply are ordained in this universe, and will occur no matter what interference mortal beings contrive.

The result is completely new, but is CLASSIC TREK in the very best sense of that expression.  I cannot wait for the next adventure with this crew.  They are fun and unpredictable.  The universe is their oyster.  JJ. Abrams has passed the Kobyashe Maru.  The unwinnable scenario has been won.  How do you make a classic Star Trek film without most of the original characters?  Abrams is the only one who has done it.  Abrams has reprogrammed the scenario.  And the Star Trek world will thank him for it.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2009, 08:07 PM by Jedi_Master »
Please leave trade feedback for me here

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2009, 05:44 AM »
I went to see it last night and thought it was a bore. I am not a Star Trek fan so perhaps that is why. I did like Kirk but I hated the guy who played Spock. Just not for me.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2009, 05:35 PM »
Still not seen it but I hear the guy replacing DeForest Kelly is oscar-worthy...  Seriously.  I'm intrigued to say the least.

I heard the SPock guy played a good Leonard Nimoy with his own uniqueness added in.  I'm surprised he got a bad mark.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I went to see it last night and thought it was a bore. I am not a Star Trek fan so perhaps that is why. I did like Kirk but I hated the guy who played Spock. Just not for me.

How could you not like Spoc'lyer?  ;) 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2009, 06:23 PM »
You know, I hate the Sylar character so much that it's actually to the point that I can't stand the actor that plays hime either (Zachary Quinto).  I was really pissed when I found out that he was playing Spock but, I have to say, I really tried not to judge going into the film and actually liked him as Spock.

Now, I still can barely stomach the sight of the guy, based on Sylar, but it really didn't worry the film for me and I was worried it would.

And yes, Karl Urban does an incredible DeForest Kelley impersonation for this film.  Totally on the mark without it ever seeming like the director was forcing the performance out of him.  He's a decent actor but his roles have kind of all been muscle heads; Vaako in Chronicles of Riddick, Eomer in LOTR, Grimm in Doom, that Pathfinder movie...so I guess I never knew how good he could be.  Plus he's Australian, so not only was he doing a US accent, he was doing a DeForest Kelley US accent.  Maybe not an Oscar performance, but definitely it should get him noticed for some other, better, and possibly more Oscar worthy roles in the future.

E...

Edit -> Edit to mention that Urban was also Woodrow Call in the mini-series "Comanche Moon."  That was a roll originated in 1989 by Tommy Lee Jones and Urban played the character in the prequel.  He did a good job in the role and his 19th century, Southern US accent was also well done. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 06:29 PM by efranks »
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2009, 10:41 PM »
Okay, just got back from seeing this. WOW.

I've never been a big fan of Star Trek, but I was exposed to it growing up since my dad's a big fan, so that probably helped going into it so I could understand all of the subtle references. So I went in, not expecting much, and I was really blown away. All of the actors were great in their roles (Chekov was hilarious. And yes, the performance of McCoy is truly Oscar-worthy). Everyone in the theater cheered when Leonard Nimoy appeared on screen, and I thought his role was very enjoyable. The story was decent and actually very easy to keep up with considering this is J.J. Abrams the creator of Lost we're talking about. I didn't mind the 'newness,' but that's probably because I'm not a big fan of the original stuff. I'm still digesting it all, but I can definitely say I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE!!!! It is very easily one of the best movies I've seen in a LONG, LONG TIME. Beats the snot out of The Phantom Menace, that's for sure. Even a wee bit better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I actually really liked. Awesome, awesome movie. A++++++++ 8)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:42 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2009, 11:19 PM »
I'm no big Trekkie or how you say but I enjoyed the movie for what it was.  Not fantastic or anything, but I liked seeing the "original" crew back in their hayday and it was nice putting the pieces back together.  I didn't get the time sequence of having two Spocks, but I may have missed something being as there can never be more than one of the same person in any give universe - per SciFi legacy crap.  Many cheers and laughs from the crowd and I expect many more sequels.  My local 3x size screen theatre was actually sold out for the first time in many moons so I had to make due with a standard theatre....lame, but it worked.

I also got the Transformers trailer attached to this flick with no Joe trailer.  Not sure what's up with that, but I was ecstatic to see the ROTF trailer on the big screen.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2009, 02:42 AM »
I just got back too.  Like a lot of people keep saying, I've never been into Star Trek - but I thought the movie was incredibly good. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2009, 03:27 AM »
I saw it Saturday night, I really liked it. Urban as Bone's was super. Better than TPM by far. 

I downloaded it & will be watching it again.  :P

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2009, 08:18 AM »
I grew up watching TOS in reruns after I would get home from school.  I still prefer TOS to TNG because I felt the stories were more compelling, while you can argue the acting and effects were cheesey.  The first couple seasons of TNG to me felt like more style than substance.

The only complaint about the new movie that I have was that the digital projector went down to a lightning strike during the young Spock scenes and we had to get shuffled off to a regular theater...I can't wait for the Blu Ray.

I would say this is probably one of the best uses of time travel in a movie.  What a way to shake things up in the Star Trek universe...it accomplishes both having a tie to the original series and a reboot of the series overall.

I liked the look of the ships interiors, especially the engine rooms.  More reminescent of a submarine with all the close packed piping and everything...not the totally clean and sterile look of TNG era.

I thought all the core characters were great, and I even enjoyed the over the top accents of both Chekov and Scotty.  I had been keeping away from spoilers so the Spock/Uhura relationship was a shock.  I do like it though.  It will interesting to see Spock take a completely different journey that we have seen before.  It took the character quite some time to embrace his human half, but this Spock seemed to do so with his decision not to enter the Vulcan science academy.

I like all the one liners from TOS and even the nod to Pike with him in the wheelchair at the end.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2009, 10:04 AM »
I echo many sentiments here. As a hard core SW fan, I thought it would be hard to say, but no it's easy, this Star Trek movie blew away Phantom Menace.

Pace, acting, directing, special affects, story, it has it all.  I may never become a Trekkie, but I'm sure as hell going to look forward to seeing more movies with this new crew of actors.

Impressive, most impressive.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2009, 12:32 AM »
Geez, I guess I'll have to see it just so someone actually has something overly negative to say about it. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2009, 12:46 AM »
I'll say it Brent...I don't think it was better than Wrath of Khan.  Sorry, I said it.  I think it was a good Star Trek movie.  I think it's probably in the top three ST movies.  But it's not the best.

I think the engineering spaces in the ships took me out of things.  Notably, they looked more like some hydroelectric facility or heavy industry area than the workings of a starship.  Plus the hangar decks seemed a little too expansive as well.

Also, two of the players in minor roles took me out of the movie (slightly).  When you see the movie you may get that as well.

It was a good movie.  Was it perfect?  I'm not ready to say that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2009, 01:33 AM »
I am Sith and I just went to a 9pm showing here - the theater was empty - only about 15 people in total.

I enjoyed the hell out of the movie.  I've been hearing rave reviews so I wasn't sure it could live up to the hype.  However, I have to say well done.  I thought all the characters were great.  I'm not sure I'm sold on the new Spock but the rest seemed very believable to me.  Urban was dead-on for McCoy.  Wow.

Its hard to compare back to Khan since that is comparing something to my memories growing up.  However, I'd definitely rank it up there with Khan and First Contact.  I certainly hope they will be making more. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2009, 09:27 AM »
This is just from some guy's blog, but he has a list of 10 ReasonsWhy Star Wars is Better Than Star Trek.  Again, not saying that can (or should) be compared, but I saw this on another site and thought I would pass it along.