Author Topic: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets  (Read 130896 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Droid Factory Sets
« Reply #510 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12 PM »
so I think I'll try and get a price adjustment while I'm there.  At 2 am they do all that right at the register, so I think the cashier might be a bit more lenient with their policies.  At the very minimum you'd think they'd be ok with it because otherwise I could just return them with the higher priced receipts and then repurchase them at the price that store has in the computers (clearance).

I'm not sure how relaxed WMs policies are on clearances, but Target will not adjust to what may be sold at a lower clearanced price from a different store so I usually just do the rebuy/return thing myself.  Nice find on the $9 sets though! 

Good luck.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 5, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Anyone still looking for the Corran, Whistler and BAD part set?  I remembered comments posted here from people who were only interested in this set so I picked up the one I'd seen.
I am not the Stig

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #512 on: October 6, 2009, 12:53 PM »
I'll take the Whistler if he's still available.  Never did find these sets in the wild.  :( >:(

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 6, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Unless there is another shipment coming, they really must have reeled back the numbers on these sets this time around.  It seems like almost everyone saw them once or twice (if even that), and they sold through quickly even at the higher prices.  I know I saw them at one of our three WMs, and they were gone within a few days never to be seen again.  I'm more glad now that I didn't end up buying them all.  I wanted the Darktrooper, but that $17 price just stung to much for me.

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 9, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Don't know if I'm the only one to see this, maybe a case or two were lost in the stockroom, but when I was at Walmart this AM they what appeared to be two full sets of the BAD packs on the shelf.  This store has an endcap display with Blasters, Rex styled helmets, Evolutions packs, etc.  They scanned at $17, so that might point to a second coming of these, but if anyone missed out last time and now regrets it, you might want to check you local stores.
I am not the Stig

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 9, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Don't know if I'm the only one to see this, maybe a case or two were lost in the stockroom, but when I was at Walmart this AM they what appeared to be two full sets of the BAD packs on the shelf.  This store has an endcap display with Blasters, Rex styled helmets, Evolutions packs, etc.  They scanned at $17, so that might point to a second coming of these, but if anyone missed out last time and now regrets it, you might want to check you local stores.

You're not alone - I have observed the same thing here in VA. They have made an odd resurgence at 1 or 2 stores - complete sets, so they can't be returns. (doubtful anyway)

I have seen other reports of this online around the country, so for whatever reason they seem to be enjoying a second life. I got the one I wanted with Boba Fett and the Droids figure, so I am set.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 9, 2009, 05:00 PM »
It's happened here lately too. I think it may be a second round (final round) of these. They were definitely not returns.

Offline chap

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 9, 2009, 10:01 PM »
I found these today on my break from class at the Wal Mart up at school.  I bought the coran hornn and fett.  I didn't even look at the price tag and was in shock when they rang up $17 a piece.  It's okay though, they are awesome.

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #518 on: November 10, 2009, 09:23 AM »
There seems to be too many popping up to be old stock.  I bet WM did order some more sets for the holiday season.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 10, 2009, 11:13 AM »
There seems to be too many popping up to be old stock.  I bet WM did order some more sets for the holiday season.

Or the interweb rumors got us all scared that these were going to be extremely limited.  I've found a few restocks myself.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15 PM »
The thing about the limited quantity of these is that Hasbro put that forward in the Q&A sessions.  They tried to make it well known that the 2009 Droid Factory figures weren't going to be around as much as last year's were.

I saw a bunch at at least one Walmart within the last month or so.  I think I saw this in PA when I was on the way back from Philly a couple weeks ago but I know for sure that one of the closer WM stores to me had them on an end cap along with the Evo sets like was already mentioned.

I was never a fan of the price on these but did buy a set, partly because of the (supposed) limited availability but mostly for the Dark Trooper.  But if I'd known that they'd be around for a while I would have either spread out my purchase or waited to see if I could stumble on a sale somewhere.  If we find out that WM either was able to order more due to sales or they weren't really as "limited" as Hasbro wanted us to believe, I'm not going to be happy about it.  Kind of already not happy with them now.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #521 on: November 10, 2009, 02:33 PM »
One WM locally still has a full set + some of these from the first shipment, and my nearest Wally has 2 Corran sets in the clearance aisle (full price though) yet.  I can't say these were hard to find locally but they came and went for the most part.  Out of the way WM's still have them in full supply thouh, mostly.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #522 on: November 17, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Sounds like the poor sales of this round of Droid Factory 2-Packs (yes, probably the fault of the $17 price tag) have killed this line.

I guess I'm OK with that.  At $10-12, they were fun.  At $17... not quite as much fun.  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 17, 2009, 11:44 AM »
Sounds like the poor sales of this round of Droid Factory 2-Packs (yes, probably the fault of the $17 price tag) have killed this line.

I guess I'm OK with that.  At $10-12, they were fun.  At $17... not quite as much fun.  :-\

Agreed.  A couple Wal Marts in my area have had them for a couple months now and most are still there.  I did pick up the Corran Horn pack, but only because I liked getting an action figure one of the main characters from the X-Wing series of books that I was into back in the '90s.  Most of the other figures were repacks and not the best figures at that.  The Grevious and Boba Fett packs, for example, should have used the updated versions of those figures.  I would have at least been more inclined to buy them.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 17, 2009, 01:37 PM »
I'm fine with this sub-line dying. It became way too overpriced. $120 would have been great but honestly too cheap since they do come with two figures AND a build a droid part. $12-14 would have been an acceptable price range since many of the figures are either repaints, reissues or reuse old parts. In essence Hasbro and Wal*Mart were asking us to pay $3 more for the build a droid part. Even though the collective parts made a large figure, that figure is NOT worth $18, once you take into account the 5 sets at the extra $3 a piece.

So either the BaD part should be dropped (something I'm sure many of us do not want to see), or lower the price to something reasonable, or as they have said, kill the subline.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010