Author Topic: Wal-Mart Green Leader A-Wing Starfighter  (Read 36054 times)

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Wal-Mart Green Leader A-Wing Starfighter
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2008, 04:10 PM »
And some sucker will buy it!

I won't doubt that, I just think their clearance policy on what should be fast moving products isn't very good.  If they have a product that they'll stock for a long period of time, I can understand that not being put on clearance, but Wal-Mart seems to keep items around too long in the hopes they'll make an extra sale or two at full price.  Items like video games, movies, many toys, books, etc.  Basically any item where the is a fairly constant stream of new items coming in.  They should have a more intelligent clearance policy and move that stuff out to get newer things in.  But then again I'm not looking at this as the typical Wal-Mart shopper.

I like the revised A-Wing, I like the pilot, not sure I like it $30 though.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2008, 04:13 PM »
Our Wal-Mart is the same way with clearancing - as in, they rarely, if ever, use them.  Sure, some SW items hit clearance, but it often takes a looong time, and even then, the prices aren't anything amazing.  I did see some VTSC Han Endors, Greedos, and Sandpeople down to $3 at one point, and also saw the GH Falcon last year get dropped to $23 (from $30) - but not much else.  I think they might still have some of the Jabba's Dancers packs there for $15.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 04:13 PM by Brian »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Pretty much the same here.  One WM I visit frequently has a huge clearance section that's been up for about 2 years now.  In it they have VTSC and V30AC figures (yes, both) for $.02 less than retail.  They have Droid 2-packs for $.02 less than retail.  They have 30AC figures for full retail but clearance stickers on them.  They have Tin sets for full price.

I did get some of the military figure 2-packs from the line I collect for $3.50, which is off the usual $8 price.  That's not bad at all (got others for $5 at another WM I visit).  I've gotten deals on some of the other military stuff in the past too, some of it never even making it to the sales floor for full price because the manager is clearly a dip****.

SW **** though, I've rarely had good luck on.  I got some VOTC Stormtroopers for $7...  I think that was the last great clearance deal I got at a WM store.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I think it all depends on the store. 

Different managers handle their clearance items differently... I hit about 4-5 Wal-Marts on a semi-regular basis.  One of them never marks things down, and when they do, it's like 5-10% off.  Another knocks them down big time... case in point one store I go to, here's some of the deals I've gotten there over the past few years -

ROTS figures - $1.00 each (all kinds of characters)
ROTS mid size vehicles - $7.00 each (mostly Grievous Wheelbike)
VOTC figures - $2.00 each (mostly Han)
VSTC figures - $2.00 each (Han and Greedo)
SAGA2 figures - $2.50 each (all kinds of characters)
TAC figures - $3.00 each (TFU army builder galore)
TAC Max Rebo Band 5-figure sets - $4.00 each (both sets)
TAC Comic Packs - $3.50 each (mostly Wookiee/Clone wave)
GI JOE Comic Packs - $2.50 each (passed on those actually, all kinds of them)

I hit that Wal-Mart about once a week, and usually hit the clearance section first.   :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I think it all depends on the store. 

Yeah, Walmart is totally hit-or-miss on clearance, as the prices are not always set by corporate.  That's why you see some stuff blown out quickly in some areas, while other areas still have some 2006 exclusives on the shelves/pegs.

I've never had very good luck with Walmart clearance, but I see/read enough reports to know that good deals do happen for some folks...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2008, 07:08 PM »
To the best of my knowledge WM stores are given set prices they CAN lower items to, but the manager can choose basically any % from the low sent by corporate on up to full price...  Basically if they don't feel the need to blow it out to make room, they won't.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Saw this today, and I'm glad it's available, but I don't think I need another A-Wing.  Kudos for releasing this with a pilot with a new headsculpt and helmet and some vehicle mods.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2008, 09:28 AM »
I checked our local store looking for one of these yesterday, but they didn't have any out on the floor that I could find.  They did have a ton of the new Gunships out though, spread across the toy aisles in different locations.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 07:49 PM »
I took a special trip out to the one Wal-Mart in town for this today and came back empty handed. There wasn't a spot on the shelf for them and they didn't seem to be lying around anywhere.

For those of you that are find them, are they on an endcap/aisle display or just in the regular section?
"This is the way."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2008, 09:43 PM »
I've seen them on the endcaps or in the aisle in a four sided display.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25 PM »
I picked this up yesterday at an out of town Wal-Mart. I was really looking forward to it since I've never owned an A-Wing and I never found the A-Wing Pilot at retail last year. This was pretty much worth every penny. It's an outstanding vehicle, the new and improved cockpit looks nice, and Arvel Crynyd is an EXCELLENT figure, probably the best pack-in figure ever. It's without doubt one of my favorite figures of the year. ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 02:25 PM by David »
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Any east-coasters site the A-Wing yet?  I've been checking about 3 or 4 area WalMarts on a regular basis to no avail.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: October 20, 2008, 01:12 AM »
I keep checking my nearest WM's here and nada so far...  Nobody in our local group have reported getting one either.  They usually show on the West side of town and nearer the city first, but so far nothing's been reported.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 20, 2008, 09:18 AM »
I checked both of our local WMs for this over the weekend as well, and no sign of them here yet either.  One store did have the Gunships out, but that was about it.  Maybe these are getting set out a bit later (with a few exceptions obviously).  Hopefully they won't be too tough to find, or they'll pop up online, because although I do have the POTF2 version - I wouldn't mind getting one of these as well.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 20, 2008, 11:12 PM »
I found one yesterday.   I did not look at the price.  I had to buy a computer this weekend.  That has wiped out any Star Wars purchases greater than $12 for quite awhile unfortunately.