Author Topic: Clone Wars Wave 1 (2008)  (Read 33846 times)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Wave 1
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2008, 11:31 AM »
Passing on these, save for a few that might be decent custom fodder... Grievous actually might be the only one I get.  He looks pretty damn huge, though I hate his shoulders.  Might try to mod them... we'll see.

Is it even worth it? I could see Hasbro re-using several of the parts in this figure to make a movie-style version of the character at some point down the line anyway.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 02:03 PM »
Passing on these, save for a few that might be decent custom fodder... Grievous actually might be the only one I get.  He looks pretty damn huge, though I hate his shoulders.  Might try to mod them... we'll see.

Is it even worth it? I could see Hasbro re-using several of the parts in this figure to make a movie-style version of the character at some point down the line anyway.

For $8.00, it's worth it to me - I like to tinker with customs.   ;)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 03:11 PM »
You know what's odd, if the CW3D wave 1 hits right before the Legacy wave 2 we'll have two Clone Wars Obi-Wans in armour on the pegs at one time.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 03:19 PM »
You know what's odd, if the CW3D wave 1 hits right before the Legacy wave 2 we'll have two Clone Wars Obi-Wans in armour on the pegs at one time.

I don't see anything wrong in that.  This has to make up for that crappy one that came in that BP last year or in 06 or whenever it came out.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2008, 12:13 AM »

I'm thinking the same thing and this is a great example of WHY I think the animated style figures are so ridiculous.

Ok - so we're getting an Obi-Wan in Clone Armor where the armor and look matches the first Clone Wars cartoon.

But first we're going to get one that matches how he looks in the 3D Clone Wars cartoon.

Let's put them side-by-side:

Why is Lucasfilm being so cavalier with the new 3D cartoon changing the looks of the characters? I know people have made this complaint before, but now more than ever, I feel that these new looks for the major characters have been created primarily for the purposes of selling more toys. There is really no justification for Obi-Wan donning clone armor with his Jedi robes should be given a completely new look. For crying out loud, the first Clone Wars cartoon was anything but realistic, but that first design for Obi-Wan in Clone Armor has widely accepted by the fans, converted over to the realistic style and has (or soon will be) immortalized in the form of a statue, 12" doll and 3.75" figure. Why then was that same design not translated to the look of the new Clone Wars 3D cartoon? Why did they come up with a completely new look?!?!

I know it may seem like I'm harping on this issue, but let's say that the cartoon is a hit and GL decides that he wants to tell the tale of the Rebels between ANH and ESB. We know how Darth Vader looked in ANH, we know how Vader looked in ESB. But for this new cartoon, we're going to put Vader in gray armor with a red cape and a white helmet. Why? Well why not of course! Han Solo won't be wearing his trademark white shirt and black vest, heck no! We'll put him in a blue jumpsuit with a black sash instead of a belt - that will make him look extra dashing! Get these designs to Hasbro so they can make figures of them right away! - now if that happened, everyone would be up in arms about how the designs are so radically different from what we've seen before. So why doesn't anyone care that they are basically throwing out everything that was established in the previous cartoon series?

I just don't get it.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 06:32 AM »
because something tells me this new cartoon is going to be the definate clone wars and replace the old storyline that was already built..

but heck i think both figures look fine and the kids will enjoy them.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 11:00 AM »
For what it's worth, I actually prefer the design of the new animated one -

That's probably the only figure so far that I'm really impressed with from the animated line.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I'd buy five or six other figures from the animated line before I bought that piece of crap.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 12:50 PM »
Really?  I think it looks the best out of what we've seen so far in the animated line... plus the helmet design is pretty nifty too.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 01:27 PM »

I just don't get it.

What's there not to get?  It's the best of both worlds for Hasbro - a line for kids and a line for collectors.

Actually it's better than that as both lines have crossover appeal - some kids will want the 'legacy' stuff and some collectors will buy the animated line.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 02:51 PM »

I just don't get it.

What's there not to get?  It's the best of both worlds for Hasbro - a line for kids and a line for collectors.

Actually it's better than that as both lines have crossover appeal - some kids will want the 'legacy' stuff and some collectors will buy the animated line.

Actually, I don't think this is going to be the best of both worlds for Hasbro... they're potentially losing a lot of loyal collectors with this animated line.  I've seen across the boards at all sites that people aren't happy with it.

Just look at the results of the current RS poll -

Looks great, can't wait! 350 (25%) 
Would've preferred realistic style, I'll still buy. 211 (15%) 
Cool, I'll pick and choose my favorites. 270 (19%) 
Disappointed, may pass on the line. 278 (20%) 
Do not like, will not buy. 291 (21%)

Totals 1400 votes

Right out of the gate, 21% of RS readers are saying they're not going to get these, and another 20% say they might pass on the line - that 41% of RS readers showing a disapproval of what they have seen so far with this decision by Hasbro.  How can that be the best of both worlds for Hasbro?

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 04:54 PM »
Actually, I don't think this is going to be the best of both worlds for Hasbro... they're potentially losing a lot of loyal collectors with this animated line.  I've seen across the boards at all sites that people aren't happy with it.

I agree.
They lost my business on these and I buy multiples of every figure for customs sales. I spent $7,000 last year alone on Hasbro SW. I think this was a big mistake long term. Short term, it will work.
Most collectors I know are cherry picking or are out on this line.

Hasbro is going too cookie cutter across their action figure lines. They have the same animated strategy with Transformers and Spiderman in the second half of the year. They are going animated too with sublines to appeal more to kids. Every Hasbro line has GH, MM's, has or had Titainium is animated going to be the new staple?

Kids today are not like our generation, traditional toys are obsolete to 8yrs old now a days. Trust me, after 8 years in the Toy industry you see that fact and come to accept it. The industry is steadily shrinking year after year. Toy lines are considered mega hits if you get 3 years out of them, and if you do you are really lucky.

They seem to never learn, kids will buy into this for 6 months then move on. The collector is their core and kept this line going and will keep it going. Sales will do great then level off, they may switch next year to realistic to bring us back. Just my 2 cents!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 06:14 PM »
Sales will do great then level off, they may switch next year to realistic to bring us back. Just my 2 cents!

For all of our sake, I sincerely hope you're right.

I think I've calmed down a bit now after the shock of Toy Fair. I was so up and down thinking about the animated figs.

I've got to stop trying to get every Hasbro SW toy at some point. This is a good a time as any.

So the latter half of the year, vehicles excluding, should be pretty cheap for me. Then again, we havne't seen EVERYTHING for the entire year. But as I'm very nearly out of the large army building game, I can't see how I'd buy a ton of figures in the last half of the year.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 09:15 AM »

I just don't get it.

That's completely true Chewie, yet I'm fairly certain that we only represent a minority percentage of total SW sales. I think that new kids sales are going to more than make up for the loss of us.  But that's just a semi-educated guess.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 09:35 AM »

The guys who post on the internet are just a fraction of consumer base for SW. 

Just look at the results of the current RS poll -

Looks great, can't wait! 350 (25%) 
Would've preferred realistic style, I'll still buy. 211 (15%) 
Cool, I'll pick and choose my favorites. 270 (19%) 
Disappointed, may pass on the line. 278 (20%) 
Do not like, will not buy. 291 (21%)

Totals 1400 votes

Right out of the gate, 21% of RS readers are saying they're not going to get these, and another 20% say they might pass on the line - that 41% of RS readers showing a disapproval of what they have seen so far with this decision by Hasbro.  How can that be the best of both worlds for Hasbro?

That's such a small biased sample that it's not even relevent IMO.  Like I said before, Hasbro has the collectors on board with the Legacy collection (plus some kids).  The animated line has a lot going for it - a worldwide theatrical release, kid-friendly subject matter and mass retail placement.

With the release of this line, Hasbro has already doubled their pegs at retail.  I'm sure they have consumer research to back up their product plans.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 09:35 AM by ruiner »