Author Topic: Clone Wars Wave 1 (2008)  (Read 33845 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Clone Wars Wave 1 (2008)
« on: February 16, 2008, 10:13 PM »
Wave 1 =
 - Captain Rex (dirty/battle damage version)
 - Anakin Skywalker
 - Obi-Wan Kenobi
 - Yoda
 - Clone Trooper
 - R2-D2
 - General Grievous
 - Battle Droid

More pics here:)

« Last Edit: December 8, 2008, 12:08 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Wars Wave 1
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 01:59 AM »
I still think Rex looks pretty realistic in his body sculpt, but not the head obviously...  Same with the battledroid, and to a slightly lesser extent, Grievous and R2. 

Obi and Ani look semi-realistic as well...  I see the stylized look going on too, but I don't think they look that bad either.  Maybe it's the fact 3-D animation is pretty realistic unto itself at times?  The heads are so clearly animated, but not the rest.

I like them for what they are, I'll gladly pass though...  I'm pretty well locked into that now.  I'm going to Order a couple Rex's though, and call it a day I think.  I was hoping the Battledroid wouldn't look quite as animted in the headsculpt, but that didn't happen.

Happy for those who like 'em though, for sure.  If these were less, I'd consider htem maybe, but at $8 a pop, I'm gonna draw the line here I think.  Add in a whole line of IJ toys I want, and still realistic figures to collect (though not many), and I think it's fair to set a boundary with these.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 09:03 AM »
I can't believe that this is all they showed.  If they wanted to give the idea that the CW3D show will be huge, and in the theaters, they should have shown all of the figures they are making!  I can't believe that they'll have a Midnight Madness for 8 figures and 3 ships...

On the other hand everything looks great.  I guess I always get a bit let down after Toy Fair.  I want to see the whole year all at once...but now we're back to rumors and leaks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:36 AM by speedermike »
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 09:44 AM »
I can't believe that this is all they showed.  If they wanted to give the idea that the CW3D show will be huge, and in the theaters, they should have shown all of the figures they are making!  I can't believe that they'll have a Midnight Madness for 8 figures and 3 ships...

Is a midnight madness on 7/26 official? Also, from the Hasbro presentation report, it looks like only the Homing Spider Droid and the V-19 will be avaialble on the 26th of July, the AT-TE will be released later during the holiday shopping season. At least according to this report on Galactic Hunter:
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=7036&zoneid=2
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Awesome looking figures, but I am going to have to pass on them. I can't expand my collection to incorporate every big subline that comes our way. In addition, there looks to be way too much "real" stuff coming for me to buy. 

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 11:30 AM »

Is a midnight madness on 7/26 official? Also, from the Hasbro presentation report, it looks like only the Homing Spider Droid and the V-19 will be avaialble on the 26th of July, the AT-TE will be released later during the holiday shopping season. At least according to this report on Galactic Hunter:
http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=7036&zoneid=2

Cripes! I HOPE not. I don't want to have to "compete" to get the AT-TE with all of the crazed holiday shoppers. Bringing it out in July would give time for collectors to satiate their needs before the pathetic seasonal shoppers come to "clean up" after our year long efforts...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Well, Grievous is the only one I'm gonna buy.

He does look sorta animated, but the size and likeness is by far the best thing Hasbro has offered in the Grievous realm yet, the previous versions (except Pre-Cyborg) were all midgets.

This Grievous looks good.

I'll pass on all the others.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 11:52 AM »
just noticed it....Rex has ball jointed wrists ;D

man are these figures ever growing on me though. when i first saw them yesterday i thought they were stupid and i was only getting rex and a BD..now i want them all...except for yoda lol.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:44 PM »
Really really really wish these weren't animated and I hate the action features, but some of the clones look almost "realistitic" enough.   :-\
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 01:48 PM »
I might get the Battle Droid, as it looks like the best one Hasbro's made so far, but I'll pass on the others and the rest of the animated line. Might get Rex too.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 11:39 PM »
If they wanted to give the idea that the CW3D show will be huge, and in the theaters, they should have shown all of the figures they are making!

Much like other "movie" years LFL would not allow them to show everything right off the bat.  According to the info, there will be at least 23 figures in 2008.  They are hoping another wave will make it in, but were not 100% sure it would happen.  Rest assured there will be more than just a few vehicles and 8 basic figures... there will be battle packs and role play and more.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 11:53 PM »
If they wanted to give the idea that the CW3D show will be huge, and in the theaters, they should have shown all of the figures they are making!

Much like other "movie" years LFL would not allow them to show everything right off the bat.  According to the info, there will be at least 23 figures in 2008.  They are hoping another wave will make it in, but were not 100% sure it would happen.  Rest assured there will be more than just a few vehicles and 8 basic figures... there will be battle packs and role play and more.

And then it will spill over into the main line and there will be no more realistic designed figures. (It's already happened, BTW, look at Cade Skywalker, Talon Kardde, and Prince Xizor.)

If the whole line goes this way, I'm out. I refuse to buy the characters all over again just because it's a new style. I didn't and am not going to buy the mid sized GG bust because of this. I won't do it for figures either.

I may be jumping the gun on my fears of this, but to quote one of the most famous quotes, "I've got a BAD feeling about this."
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 02:26 AM »
I wouldn't say those comic figures look like their art too much...  I thought Karrde was outstanding and realistic...  Xixor I thought looked less like the art and more realistic actually...  I was pleased in general.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 10:59 AM »
I wouldn't say those comic figures look like their art too much...  I thought Karrde was outstanding and realistic...  Xixor I thought looked less like the art and more realistic actually...  I was pleased in general.

I agree, if anything they look closer to the photographs from the CCG than they do to the artwork.

I think we're fine with regards to the regular line staying in the style it's in.

I'm also not overly concerned with the Clone Wars style spilling over into the regular line because all it will take is for the realistic line to sell well and the animated line to sell poorly for Hasbro to realize that changing the style is a big "no no" and this will be the last time they do it.

Perhaps Zizzle will show Hasbro the error of their ways before we even get too far along - I was in Target the other day and saw multiple pegs CLOGGED with this new animated style Pirates of the Caribbean figure line. Why they think a Pirates line is still even viable is beyond me, but this style change will be the final nail in the coffin of that line as well.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 11:07 AM »
Passing on these, save for a few that might be decent custom fodder... Grievous actually might be the only one I get.  He looks pretty damn huge, though I hate his shoulders.  Might try to mod them... we'll see.