Author Topic: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion  (Read 12377 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2008 UGH "1st Day of Issue" Promotion
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 08:29 PM »
I made this to sum up my thoughts...

Man, that guy is a dick.  Just look at his hat, and his suspicious face.  Glad he's nobody around here!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 11:35 PM »
It's cold here in MN.  You'd make odd facial expressions too when everything is frozen with -40 temps.  Just look what he's grabbing for to keep warm.   :)

That TRU has since closed and has been converted into a Babies R US btw...True
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 12:53 AM »

That's funny! Now why do they have to release anything during the same time as SDCC? Looks like I'll have to hit Target (if they decide to stock any 08 stuff by then) before going to the convention center.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 09:07 AM »
Glad to see the general revolt going on here with this promotion. ATTICA!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 10:13 AM »
This promotion is really really lame. At least the Gold coins had some merit and were somewhat fun to collect adding to the coin album. Even for a carded collector I do not get the benefit. This sort of "first run sticker" seems so 1990's when figure collecting became mainstream and when comic collecting went rampant with variant covers.

I cannot wait to find these and bend the cards in front of scalpers as I walk to the checkout. If I am followed out I will be sure to rip them open to their horror!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:14 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 12:35 PM »
The only problem with the Hot Wheels picture is those guys look nothing like real Hot Wheels collectors I run into.  They're not exceedingly fat nor scruffy.  I don't see any sweatpants and they don't look like they smell bad. 

True story: I was in a store yesterday looking for figures, the dude down the aisle looking at hot wheels let out a couple of rumblers that would have been hilarious if I'd known the guy.  But as a stranger stuck in the same store as him it was mighty disgusting. 

Still, Hot Wheels chase stuff isn't as annoying as the Hasblow stuff.  Not to me anyway. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 05:06 PM »
The only problem with the Hot Wheels picture is those guys look nothing like real Hot Wheels collectors I run into.  They're not exceedingly fat nor scruffy.  I don't see any sweatpants and they don't look like they smell bad. 

OMG you are so dead on! What's with the gangly beards they sport?
I got the biggest laugh out of your post!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 05:50 PM »

OMG, that's horrible!  :o :o :o :'(

I cannot wait to find these and bend the cards in front of scalpers as I walk to the checkout. If I am followed out I will be sure to rip them open to their horror!

That's better.  :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 05:55 PM »
Strangely enough that has not been my experience with Hot wheels collectors. The couple that I know (and believe me, it's not because I want to, but I just happen to run into them a bit), are skinny and clean shaven. I don't take the time to smell them, so at the least they must have showered recently as they don't have a smell that wafts across the aisles.

By the very description given, I might be misconstrued as a Hot wheels guy then. I'm overweight, have a goatee (though I do shower daily...). Don't judge people necessarily on what they look like. Their actions speak a lot more to who they are than their look.

One guy I found funny was a guy I pegged as a Hot Wheels collector. When he asked how I knew, I pointed to his shirt. It was clearly emblazoned with a huge Hot Wheels logo on it. That was funny. He must have forgot he had that shirt on.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 12:45 PM »
So did anyone find the "1st Day of Issue" versions of the figures hard to find?  I can't say I specifically looked for them, but several of the figures I grabbed randomly did have the stickers it seemed.  I did specifically grab an extra Han Solo "1st Day" figure for my carded Han collection, but otherwise I don't really collect carded figures (might grab a Chewie if I see one, we'll see) so this type of thing isn't a big deal to me.  I didn't notice for sure if "scalpers" or anyone was searching these out or not.  I did hear a guy at TRU to tell his friend "grab all the clones", and when his friend asked why, he said "because trust me, that's what will be worth the most".  Anyways, these didn't seem too hard to come by for the release day - but like I said, I wasn't specifically looking for them either.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 01:19 PM »
This is my last year of collecting carded figures so I picked up one of each both Legacy & CW which was my only intention for 07/26.  Not that they were hard to find on Saturday, but I didn't find any yesterday nor today.  I originally thought it was just that silly sticker, but once I found out the card had foil on it, the deal was sealed.  Didn't cave on the 4 FDOI repacks so I'm off to a good start.   :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 01:23 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 01:52 PM »
I found loads of 1st Day Of Issues the morning of 7/26 at Wal Mart, but other than that, they've been pretty scarce. The only one I bought was a Yarna, and it was pretty pointless, as I opened it anyway.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 09:36 AM »
I opened some 1st day issue figures. Am I evil?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 11:56 AM »
I opened some 1st day issue figures. Am I evil?

I opened a Yoda and Captian Rex with these stickers. I don't feel evil. It's a stupid promotion anyway. I couldn't help that the 1st day versions were the only versions on the pegs at the WM I was at.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2008, 11:59 AM »
Yeah, aside from picking up a carded Han, I didn't necessarily pay attention to whether or not the figures had the "1st Day" stickers on them.  I ended up opening up a "1st Day" Vader, Ak-Rev, Yarna, Bane Malor, and CW Obi-Wan yesterday.