Author Topic: Discharge Day  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Discharge Day
« on: March 1, 2008, 12:30 AM »
Well, today was the first day for me to be a civilian in 8 years. 28 Feb 08 marked the end of my TOS with the USAFR and i was discharged from the Individual Ready Reserve. It felt kind of wierd, no phone call, no emails or anything. I'm just waiting for the paperwork with the DD214 to show up.

I kind of have mixed feelings. I'd go back in a heartbeat, strap on my gear and march through the gates of hell with my buddies. At this moment, my USAFR unit has a squad deployed to the sandbox. I was already IRR when they deployed, but talked to a handful before they left and I just felt like I was sitting on the sidelines and watching. I'm excited that I no longer have the concern of call up and deployment and time away from home hanging over my head, but I have friends in a foreign land and they are without me.

It's an odd feeling.  I guess any vets on the board know what I'm talking about.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2008, 12:52 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Discharge Day
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2008, 01:26 AM »
Congrats on your honorable service to this country.  It is very much appreciated!
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2008, 02:55 AM »
Well, today was the first day for me to be a civilian in 8 years. 28 Feb 08 marked the end of my TOS with the USAFR and i was discharged from the Individual Ready Reserve. It felt kind of wierd, no phone call, no emails or anything. I'm just waiting for the paperwork with the DD214 to show up.

I kind of have mixed feelings. I'd go back in a heartbeat, strap on my gear and march through the gates of hell with my buddies. At this moment, my USAFR unit has a squad deployed to the sandbox. I was already IRR when they deployed, but talked to a handful before they left and I just felt like I was sitting on the sidelines and watching. I'm excited that I no longer have the concern of call up and deployment and time away from home hanging over my head, but I have friends in a foreign land and they are without me.

It's an odd feeling.  I guess any vets on the board know what I'm talking about.

I can completely relate.

I was in the navy for 5 years. That was from 1989-1993. I STILL have dreams in my sleep about it. I was in the first gulf war. I was also stationed in Cuba (Guantanamo Bay). Every once in awhile I get a dream that I'm still in the military.

Be in the military will stay with you forever. You're now part of a much larger family bro. Vets stick together. You should check out the VFW and/or American Legion for programs that could benefit you. Whether they be financial, home loans, any type of counseling, not to mention the actual clubs some of the regions have.

Welcome to civilian life again. If you ever need to talk things out and need a vet's perspective or just someone who's been through it to lean on or listen to you, feel free to PM me.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 1, 2008, 03:20 AM »
Brings back memories. I served in the Navy, and while it wasn't a long term like yours it still was different getting out after being in. It was a great experience. Congrats on your service and thank you.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 1, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Welcome back to civilian life and thank you very much for protecting us.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: March 1, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Chris,

Make sure you go over that DD214 with a fine-toothed comb!  I received one that covered my enlisted time (about 9 1/2 years) when I got my commission through OTS.  It had several errors in it and some I still have not been able to reconcile.  Luckily, I'll receive another one when I retire and it will cover most everything.  I might also have more luck finishing those fixes since I'll be living much closer to base at my new assignment.

Congrats on finishing up your service, and good luck picking out what to wear when you go to work!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.