Author Topic: New Indy SE DVDs due in May  (Read 10826 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
New Indy SE DVDs due in May
« on: March 3, 2008, 06:36 PM »
Classic Indy Rides Again On DVD

March 03, 2008

According to the American Film Institute, he's the greatest action-adventure hero of all time -- and his unforgettable exploits can be relished by fans old and new as never before when all three Indiana Jones movies debut as individual Special Edition DVDs and in an all-new box set on May 13.

Released by Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Entertainment, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Special Edition DVDs boast all-new, exclusive bonus features that dig deeper into the making of these cinematic milestones than ever before. All three were originally restored and remastered in 2003. Created with fans of all ages in mind, the bonus features provide never-before-seen explorations of the making of these classic movies and showcase the characters, action and extraordinary visual effects that have made the movies indelible cinematic treasures.

Each film makes its DVD debut just days before the highly anticipated return of the "Man in the Hat" in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

"An entire generation of movie lovers will get to see these classic films in a digital format that makes them even more amazing than when they were first in theaters," said Howard Roffman, Vice President of Lucasfilm Ltd. "These new, individual DVDs are a fantastic way to introduce young audiences to the unforgettable, action-packed adventures of the most daring archaeologist in the world."

Directed by Steven Spielberg from stories by executive producer George Lucas, the three Indiana Jones movies earned six Academy Awards® and nearly $1.2 billion worldwide. From the groundbreaking excitement of Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) to the sinister mysteries of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) and the father-son adventure of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989), the heroic Dr. Jones continues to delight audiences with his thrilling on-screen exploits.

Previously available only in a trilogy box set, the three films of The Adventures of Indiana Jones were newly restored and remastered to deliver an exceptional viewing experience to existing enthusiasts and a whole new generation of fans. All-new bonus content delves into the making of the legendary series as the filmmakers and cast look back and a new world of adventure opens up with Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and others offering hints about what to expect in the newest installment.

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

* Raiders of the Lost Ark: An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
    * Indiana Jones: An Appreciation -- The cast and crew of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull pay tribute to the original trilogy.
    * The Melting Face -- A recreation of the amazing physical effect of the villain's melting face in Raiders of the Lost Ark, including Steven Spielberg and George Lucas commenting on the evolution of visual effects and CGI.
    * Storyboard Sequence -- The Well of Souls
    * Galleries
          o Illustrations & Props
          o Production Photographs & Portraits
          o Effects/ILM
          o Marketing
    * LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures Game Demo and Trailer

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

* Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom: An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
    * Creepy Crawlies -- Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Frank Marshall reminisce about snakes, bugs and rats and hint about what 'creepy crawlies' to expect in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, including an interview with a snake wrangler.
    * Locations--Travel across the world to discover where the films take place and where they were shot.
    * Storyboard Sequence -- The Mine Cart Chase
    * Galleries
          o Illustrations & Props
          o Effects/ILM
          o Marketing

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade Special Edition DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround, French 2.0 Surround and Spanish 2.0 Surround and English, French and Spanish subtitles. The disc includes the following special features:

* Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: An Introduction by Steven Spielberg & George Lucas
    * The Women: The American Film Institute Tribute -- The three Indiana Jones women (Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw and Alison Doody) reunite for a discussion.
    * Friends and Enemies -- Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Indiana Jones writers discuss how they created the most iconic characters in film history, including a look at new faces in .
    * Storyboard Sequence--The Opening Sequence
    * Galleries
          o Illustrations & Props
          o Effects/ILM
          o Marketing

Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark has a running time of 115 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has a running time of 118 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade has a running time of 126 minutes and an MPAA rating of PG-13. For even more information about the adventures of Indiana Jones, visit http://www.indianajones.com.

New extras and (spiffy) new packaging aren't enough to get me to rebuy the films (which themselves appear to be identical to the 2003 discs), but if they're cheap enough on release week and/or include a free ticket to the new movie, that may be enough to get me to bite.

Otherwise, I'll be waiting for the eventual HD-DVD Blu-Ray versions.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2008, 02:38 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: New Indy SE DVDs due in May
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2008, 07:25 PM »
If they included deleted scenes then MAYBE, but those descriptions dont convince me to rebuy.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2008, 09:03 PM »
I don't have any of the Indy films on DVD, so this is a must buy for me...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2008, 10:28 PM »
Bah...I'm not rebuying the trilogy for spiffy packaging....but I will be buying the Indy LEGO game.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2008, 10:53 PM »
I finally bought the trilogy set over the winter so I'm a little cheesed with this. Then again, via DeepDiscountDVD.com I got a brand-new copy for $23.11 shipped, and thus really have no right to complain.

The new packaging is pretty slick, and more extras are always welcome, but I'll just wait for the Blu-ray set of all four movies in 2010 or whatever.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2008, 10:56 PM by Nathan »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 4, 2008, 12:25 AM »
I am SO GLAD this news came out today, as I was literally going to buy the 2003 boxset this coming Sunday (I bought it for my dad in 03 but I don't have my own copy). Looks like I'll be waiting for this one.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2008, 09:01 AM »
I really like the new packaging on these as well, but I picked up the trilogy boxset in 2003 when it first came out, so I don't think I could justify another purchase of these.  Like others mentioned, if they included some deleted scenes, a movie ticket, or other spiffy-ness, I might be swayed to grab one or all of them.  They do look pretty nice.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2008, 09:56 AM »
I'm not buying either.  I bought the set back in 2003.  Although I will admit that I was a little irked when Indy IV was announced and suddenly my "complete" set was no longer complete.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Nah.  I'll buy it on Blu Ray with deleted scenes, but otherwise I'll stick with the version I have now.  $10 at a swap & shop...sweet.  :)

John

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #9 on: March 4, 2008, 02:46 PM »

Anyone else ever feel that Sallah got hosed on this poster?

I mean, two Belloqs, but no Sallah?  No love for the best digger in Egypt? 

It's a good thing Richard Amsel's dead, or he'd have hell to pay right about now.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 4, 2008, 02:58 PM »
I'm so glad about this news, since I never bought the dvds.  I actually didn't buy them mostly because I don't like the 3rd film.  Yes, heresy, but I just don't like it.  LOVE Raiders and really like Temple though.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #11 on: March 4, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I'm passing as well.  There's just not enough new stuff to warrent the expense.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 4, 2008, 06:47 PM »
I mean, two Belloqs, but no Sallah?  No love for the best digger in Egypt? 

Yeah, I've always thought that was pretty messed up.  >:(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: March 4, 2008, 09:15 PM »
And the Swordsman over Sallah?  Dude doesn't speak and gets shot...  Two Belloq's though, that's just insulting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Plus he's wearing blue.
I got the trilogy set yesterday. I'll wait to re-buy until Blu-ray.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m