Author Topic: New Indy SE DVDs due in May  (Read 10847 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: New Indy SE DVDs due in May
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 03:24 PM »
Packaging shot for the new box set:

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 03:31 PM »
I like that.  Very clear and crisp... definitely eye catching.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I like my brown red? version better.  Much more rustic...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 03:51 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 03:44 PM »
They should have packaged it with a "Sneak Preview" Indy figure... actually, I'm glad they didn't, or I would buy this.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 03:49 PM »
This will look great next to the red version still sitting on the retailers' shelves.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 06:48 PM »
I like the old packaging better.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 02:36 AM »
Yeah, I like the old one much better.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 08:07 AM »
I stopped buying things for the package a long, long time ago!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 04:11 PM »
I stopped buying things for the package a long, long time ago!

In a galax...  Nah, too easy.

I kind of prefer the red boxed set that's already out but this one should look good on the shelf at retail.  Some day when all 4 DVDs are out on Blu Ray (or whatever replaces it) I might buy into the set again but I'm happy with my current set.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008, 02:15 PM »
I keep forgetting to post this but I stopped by Wal-Mart the other day and I saw an ad for the new box set at the entrance. Coming May 13 (this Tuesday) and you get exclusive downloadable ringtones at Wal-Mart. Has anyone else heard of other stores giving out exclusives with purchase of the new DVDs?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008, 02:20 PM »
I'm getting this, I don't have any of the DVD's yet.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008, 02:33 PM »
When's the high-definition release?  :'(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2008, 06:28 PM »
This week's prices are as follows:

Store:  Individual movies each/box set

Circuit:  $11.99/$34.99
Best Buy:  $12.99/$34.99  (exclusive comic books with individual discs)
Target:  $13.78/$37.99
Amazon:  $16.99/$39.99
Sears:  $17.99/$40.49
Deep Discount:  $19.79/$38.89
Costco:  $37.99 box

Review at DVDTalk (says the video and audio is identical to the 2003 releases)

BONUS MATERIAL: 

Here's where things get a little tricky: we do get a decent collection of new extras here, but the excellent bonus disc from the 2003 box (which contained more than three hours of featurettes and promo material) is nowhere to be found. For the optimists: those who own both sets will have plenty to dig through...and none of it overlaps, conveniently enough. For the pessimists: the new material is hardly worth double-dipping for, especially with the combined lack of a technical upgrade.

Raiders of the Lost Ark leads off with an Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (7:48), mixing a bit of behind-the-scenes footage and production photos with recent talking head-style interviews. We're also treated to "Indiana Jones: An Appreciation" (11:40), featuring interviews with cast members of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as they look back on the trilogy with admiration and respect. This one can't help but feel promotional for obvious reasons, but it's worth a look nonetheless. Up next is "The Melting Face" (8:49, below left) a brief technical featurette about the infamous death sequence in Raiders. This is one of the more enjoyable extras in the bunch, revealing a few practical secrets without giving too much away. Winding things down is a Storyboard Sequence for Raiders' "Well of Souls" scene (4:13), a handful of Photo Galleries (featuring illustrations, props, marketing and more) and a Game Trailer for "Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures". A Trailer for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also plays prior to the main menu.

Temple of Doom begins with another Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (5:48), featuring more behind-the-scenes footage and retrospective thoughts. "The Creepy Crawlies" (7:59, below right) is up next, highlighting some of the hair-raising animals featured in each of the three films. "Travel With Indy: Locations" (9:02) is a like-minded featurette, bouncing around from film to film while discussing some of the landmark locales (NOTE: "Creepy Crawlies" and "Travel With Indy" both include optional pop-up trivia tracks). This second disc winds down with another Storyboard Sequence (this time, for Temple of Doom's "Mine Cart Chase" scene [2:30]), more Photo Galleries and the Trailers for the Lego game and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Last Crusade begins with another Introduction with Steven Spielberg and George Lucas (6:13), and follows up with "Indy's Women: The American Film Institute Tribute" (9:22), a roundtable discussion with leading ladies Karen Allen, Kate Capshaw and Alison Doody. "Indy's Friends and Enemies" (10:46) continues the character focus, highlighting some of the memorable supporting characters from all three adventures. This third and final disc wraps up with another Storyboard Sequence (this time, for Last Crusades's Opening sequence [3:40]), more Photo Galleries and both Trailers already mentioned above. This is undoubtedly the lightest of the three discs, if only due to the lack of attention paid to the singular film at hand.

All bonus features are presented in anamorphic widescreen, while older snippets of promo material and behind-the-scenes footage are smartly window-boxed. Thankfully, optional English, Spanish and French subtitles are also included here, rounding out the overall presentation nicely. Overall, these new extras don't hold a candle to those found on the excellent 2003 bonus disc, but they're fairly entertaining and informative in their own right.

SUMMARY: 

Five years have passed since Indiana Jones debuted on DVD, but this double dip proves that some studios get it right the first time. The films themselves have aged quite gracefully, from the rough-and-tumble Raiders of the Lost Ark to the dysfunctional family affairs of Last Crusade. This three-disc set offers a handful of new bonus features, none of which overlap directly with the previous release. But with scarcely 90 minutes' worth of extras (compared to double that on the 2003 bonus disc) and the lack of a technical upgrade, it's tough to recommend as a good value for the money. Even so, this compact collection has still been packaged with care, earning at least a weekend viewing for those interested in the new extras. Those who don't own Indy yet should either buy the 2003 release...or wait for the inevitable boxed set after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull makes its way to DVD. Rent It.

I was planning on passing on these, and still kind of am, but I got a $10 gift card to Circuit with GTAIV last week which would mean I could snag Raiders for two bucks and change, which isn't bad, so I may pick that up, who knows.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Well we all knew they would release SOMETHING before the new movie came out. Lucas and Spielberg are nobody's fool.  I would consider buying them if they would add deleted scenes or something really unique.  But hearing Spielberg and Lucas jibber jabber about it again does not excite me that much.  I am sure Ford is probably re-interviewed but he mumbles so damn much anymore we probably could not hear what he says.  It would be interesting to hear what the lead ladies say and look like now I suppose.  It's just not enough for me to re-buy them.  But they are aiming at those that do not have them and will be interested in getting them.  For instance my 5 year old niece and 7 year old nephew saw the movies this weekend on USA.  Guess what they want to get?  Yep, all 3 movies on DVD.  Gee I wonder how many more people are like that out there?  LOL! 

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2008, 07:23 PM »
For instance my 5 year old niece and 7 year old nephew saw the movies this weekend on USA.  Guess what they want to get?  Yep, all 3 movies on DVD.  Gee I wonder how many more people are like that out there?  LOL! 

Same with me, I watched ROTLA for the first time in a while on USA and released how good it was. I'll definitely be picking up the DVD on tuesday.