Author Topic: Disney to Purge Select EU  (Read 216 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Knight
  • I am now using steroids to enhance my posts.
    • View Profile
Re: Disney to Purge Select EU
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2014, 03:44 PM »
All good points.

I am in the camp that says "whore it out if it gives me more to enjoy" over a few non-whored out things here and there. A lot of not whored out stuff would have been best of course, but who would have guessed George was only in it for the money.
"A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about, how many people can make you feel rare?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2014, 07:11 PM »
I would've preferred less whoring only because I don't consider the Majority to be quality but elements of almost everything are neat...  But as complete works on their own I like far less than I don't like.  Lucas at this point is the only person who would argue it was special and mattered to him, I think.  It would've been nice had the reigns been tightened slightly but the prequal build-up and height saw just torrents of unchecked stuff.  It was like anyone with any idea was getting a license.

I don't think quality is an issue at all with this Disney change though.  Simply interference with what they want to do from here out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender & FFURG.com Staff/Representative, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 08:10 PM »
#2 - Han dies.  There were rumors a while back that Ford would join the case only if Solo gets killed off, likely in some dramatic fashion.  No Han means you've got to wipe out a good 90% of the EU stories following ROTJ.  He's not the star of many of those stories, but he's there, his relationship is there, his kids are there.  Hoping they don't go this route, but the whole Canon conversation makes it seem all the more likely to me.   :(

Personally, I feel that this is most likely one of the big motivators.

If you have stories in the EU set at, near or after the time-frame of the new Sequel Trilogy (or any of the one-off stories) AND you have sold-your-soul contractually to get an actor back for "one last time" - well then guess what? The agreement you made with that actor trumps everything, especially if part of that agreement is that Han dies.

Now I'm not going to say that this is what they're gonna do, but I think if they were SMART, and had already considered a Han Solo one-off movie, they should have contracted Ford to be in BOTH EP7 and the Han Solo movie - that way the Han Solo movie can be legitimized  by having the actor who originated the role playing the character one last time. Much like the concept of Leonard Nimoy playing Old/Trek Timeline #1 Spock in the 2009/2013 J.J. Abrams Trek movies.

But that's just my $0.02
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!