Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 167945 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray, 2011 (Celebration 5) & Deleted Scenes!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Nevermind, I answered my own question...all 6films, next fall.  I expect to see CG Yoda and again hopefully some other new stuff in the PT.

I know I haven't watched Ep3 in like 3 years.  I should do that again some day :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42 AM »
I'm curious what could get added to the prequals, as far as deleted scenes...  Or if they're only possibly going to get tweaks in other ways.  I'm kind of partial to deleted scenes being added.

I've read it before though, that all 6 have a buttload of stuff filmed that wasn't ever used, so yeah, I'm sure this is going to be an ongoing thing.

I loved the Saber building scene though...  I mean, I haven't gotten goosebumps like that in a LONG time, about Star Wars.  And I still am into Star Wars despite the changes and things.  That scene was, from a purely nerdy perspective, like some special moment for some reason.  It wasn't even a BIG scene by any means, but it was really cool.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2010, 03:30 PM »
George Lucas is like a mafia thug coming around collecting protection money every few years. When will it ever end?
Ain't dat da truth!

I have two VHS versions of this, a pirated version (sort of) of the original trilogy transferred from laser disc to DVD and single releases of all six movies.  I never opted in for other sets/versions including the 2004 releases but I'll opt in for the BluRay stuff since I'm probably buying a player in the next month or so anyway.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2010, 04:51 PM »
I'm extremely excited to get some of the 'lost scenes' back into the OT movies.  The scenes that I'm actually looking forward to seeing (if they happen) are the Biggs/Luke scene at the beginning of ANH and the Wampa scene during the Hoth escape.

If GL decides to tinker with the PT in any way, I hope he decides to replace the awful Yoda puppet in TPM with the CGI version that's been talked about.  It's too bad he can't cast a completely new Anakin for all three movies to replace Jake/Hayden and replace their performances with the new person's...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Replacing Yoda is almost certainly happening (there's footage of it somewhere).

There's a lot of things I'd wish he'd do differently with the PT, starting with all three movies themselves.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I'm curious what could get added to the prequals, as far as deleted scenes...  Or if they're only possibly going to get tweaks in other ways.  I'm kind of partial to deleted scenes being added.

I've read it before though, that all 6 have a buttload of stuff filmed that wasn't ever used, so yeah, I'm sure this is going to be an ongoing thing.

I loved the Saber building scene though...  I mean, I haven't gotten goosebumps like that in a LONG time, about Star Wars.  And I still am into Star Wars despite the changes and things.  That scene was, from a purely nerdy perspective, like some special moment for some reason.  It wasn't even a BIG scene by any means, but it was really cool.

I felt the same way about the Saber building scene, sort of gave me goosebumps as well.  Just got me all psyched for Star Wars again for some reason, not that I'm not general interested anyways.  I hope we get quite a bit of stuff for both trilogies, it is always nice to see something new.  Like it was mentioned, I definitely hope we see the CGI Yoda replacement in TPM, that is one "update" I think most fans could agree on.

I know I haven't watched Ep3 in like 3 years.  I should do that again some day

You guys have better willpower than I do.  Although I don't watch the prequels quite as often, I think I at least catch them a couple times a year.  The OT is probably every other month or so, even though we all have them pretty much memorized at this point.  I'm kind of that way with a lot of my favorite movies though, I just pop them in every few months or so to watch them again (although not quite as often, movies like Indy, LOTR, Harry Potter, and some superhero stuff get the same treatment).  It is one of those situations that if these movies are on TV, I'll watch them for a little bit at least (although, aside from when Crystal Skull was released, Indy is never one - which I always find strange).

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 07:00 PM »
Sounds like it's going to be the 04 DVD versions of the OT we're getting...

They're still tweaking it:

Skywalker Sound Engineers Confirm They’ve Remixed Star Wars Again – For Blu-ray? 3D Theatrical?

Star Wars sound engineers Matt Wood and David Acord have spoken to this week’s ForceCast. Chiefly, they were chatting in a rather specific and delightfully nerdy manner about a single detail of the original Star Wars soundtrack, debating whether or not Obi Wan’s scary roar was borrowed from a Hanna-Barbera cartoon called Dino Boy. However, at the end of the segment, they revealed the following:

And, to be honest, that sound effect has been changed again. So at some point the audiences will be hearing that scene again with the new sound effect.

At some point, unspecified, in the future. Intriguing. Here’s another quote on the new version of the effect:

[We] decided it should sound even more human. And the human it does sound like… yeah, we’ll talk about that another time.

Sounds like they’re trying to forge some new subtext in this latest remix, and very subtly so.

Hopefully they'll also go back and re-fix everything else they "fixed" with the 2004 versions.

It is one of those situations that if these movies are on TV, I'll watch them for a little bit at least (although, aside from when Crystal Skull was released, Indy is never one - which I always find strange).

The (good) new Epix channel did a full Indy marathon two weekends ago, and I've seen Raiders and Crystal Skull on it on other occasions.

And I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something neat about seeing those movies on TV.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 07:16 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I'm drawing a blank here.  When did Obi-Wan let out a scary roar?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Obi-Wan lets out a roar (with the aid of the force) in ANH to scare off the Tusken Raiders.

As far as the deleted scene they showed...I think it looks cool, but can see why they cut it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 08:45 PM »
The (good) new Epix channel did a full Indy marathon two weekends ago, and I've seen Raiders and Crystal Skull on it on other occasions.

And I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's just something neat about seeing those movies on TV.

Thanks for the info, I honestly wasn't even aware of that channel - good to hear Indy is being shown somewhere.  I don't think that we get that through our cable service though.  I remember seeing Indy on USA and Sci Fi at one time or another, but its been years now.  Not really the topic for this, but I wonder if this means we'll see the original Indy trilogy on Blu Ray soon as well now?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Obi-Wan lets out a roar (with the aid of the force) in ANH to scare off the Tusken Raiders.

duh....How could I forget that force-aided roar   ;)  silly me
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, I honestly wasn't even aware of that channel - good to hear Indy is being shown somewhere.  I don't think that we get that through our cable service though.

According to Wikipedia, there are several large providers which are not carrying them, which is too bad.  I've been pretty impressed with what I've seen so far, and my only complaint is that the Indy flicks were cropped, but I've seen others that weren't so maybe that was something beyond Epix' control.

I wonder if this means we'll see the original Indy trilogy on Blu Ray soon as well now?

There was some talk last year that it was supposed to have been released last year.  Then there was talk that it had been delayed to this year.  Now it's getting down to crunch time for it to be released this year.  I don't see a 2010 release happening, which would push it to next year.  But it's unlikely that LFL would want to release both SW and Indy in the same year.  My guess is that they're holding out for a possible tie-in with the fifth film, if that ever happens.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21 PM »
Yeah that's a channel I don't get either.  Bummer because, like SW, I'd probably watch Indy just because it was on.  Last Indy flicks I saw were on USA I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Last Edit: January 4, 2011, 05:07 PM by Matt »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #44 on: January 6, 2011, 02:41 PM »
From StarWars.com:

The most anticipated Blu-ray release ever -- the Star Wars Saga -- emerges from light speed this September 2011. For the first time, all six of George Lucas' epic films (Episodes I-VI) are united in one complete set. Fans worldwide are able to pre-order now with online retailers.

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars in three distinct sets to meet the needs of every Star Wars fan:

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films utilizing the highest possible picture and audio presentation, along with three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more.

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray will be available for $139.99 US/$179.99 CAN and the Star Wars: Trilogy Sets for $69.99 US/89.99 CAN. Pricing for each set will vary by international territory.

Flanked by a legion of his finest Imperial stormtroopers, Darth Vader himself joined Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment President Mike Dunn at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) to announce the release, vowing "The forces of the Empire will be at your disposal to assure the success of this endeavor."

"The Star Wars Saga is the most anticipated Blu-ray collection since the launch of the high-def format," Dunn said. "The epic franchise pioneered sound and visual presentation in theaters and is perfectly suited to do it again in the home, with a viewing experience only possible with Blu-ray."

"With all six episodes available for the first time in one collection, this is a great way for families and home audiences to experience the complete Saga from start to finish," said Doug Yates, Vice President of Marketing, Online, Distribution, Lucasfilm Ltd. "And with the quality of high-definition, Blu-ray provides the most immersive home experience possible."

"The Star Wars franchise has been the most anticipated Blu-ray release by Amazon's customers," said Bill Carr, Vice President of Music and Video at Amazon.com. "We think that Star Wars will be incredibly popular with our customers, and we expect pre-orders to be very strong.
"
« Last Edit: January 6, 2011, 02:42 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender