Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 167937 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #45 on: January 6, 2011, 03:31 PM »
Was wondering when we would get the official announcement today...excellent.

I just hope this doesn't give Hasbro an excuse to go on another four month hiatus in anticipation of the big "relaunch".  ::)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 6, 2011, 03:42 PM »
Cool, I can't wait for September.  It'll be a great excuse to sit down and watch them all again, and in High Def will be great.

I'm sure Lucas won't be able to resist making at least a couple changes.  Any guesses as to what he might do?  I'd give my left nut for him to reinstate Han shooting first.  ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #47 on: January 6, 2011, 03:50 PM »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 6, 2011, 04:01 PM »
$90 is a great deal!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #49 on: January 6, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Hmmm, well, that was as expected...  :)

I wish there was more about what's added in.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 6, 2011, 05:02 PM »
$90 ain't too shabby if that sticks, but this will be the most expensive set I've ever purchased.  Will probably use my old discs for coasters or something.  That 30 hours of special features should be fun to swim through.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: January 6, 2011, 08:14 PM »
This may actually prompt me into getting a blu-ray at some point.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 6, 2011, 10:29 PM »
I'm reading an awful lot of comments elsewhere concerning the inclusion of the original theatrical cuts. Seems like this is going to be a deal breaker if Lucas doesn't squeeze them in. I'm inclined to agree. I'd sooner have the originals (my favorites) in hi-def, warts and all, than to settle for the edit-du-jour.
Post sober.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #53 on: January 7, 2011, 12:20 AM »
With 30 hours of special features, I'd figure that six or seven of those hours would be the original theatrical cuts. Well, I hope, anyway.  :-\
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 7, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Even though we knew it was coming, it is nice to get an official announcement/month of release.  I was sort of hoping we'd get a look at what the set would look like, but oh well.  I have to admit, I sort of liked the little trailer that was up at the Official Site - kind of gets you jazzed to watch Star Wars again, even though we've seen them all so many times before.  I know I'm looking forward to it.

I'm in the same boat as this will be the most expensive set I've ever bought - by far.  That being said, I can start saving now.  That $90 preorder price at Amazon is awfully tempting, although I wonder if I would get impatient waiting for the shipping.  Looking forward to it this Fall though, that's for sure.  Hopefully the original cuts are included, but I have to admit that I would likely pick it up either way.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 7, 2011, 02:24 PM »
I'm reading an awful lot of comments elsewhere concerning the inclusion of the original theatrical cuts. Seems like this is going to be a deal breaker if Lucas doesn't squeeze them in. I'm inclined to agree. I'd sooner have the originals (my favorites) in hi-def, warts and all, than to settle for the edit-du-jour.

Definitely a deal-breaker for me as well...they HAVE to include those as far as I'm concerned. There's no good reason for them not to with all those extra hours of features.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 9, 2011, 10:41 PM »

Definitely a deal-breaker for me as well...they HAVE to include those as far as I'm concerned. There's no good reason for them not to with all those extra hours of features.

I agree...BUT the extras on the Blu Ray will be tempting.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2011, 03:08 PM »
Think I'm going to wait and see what the special features are before I commit to preordering the Blu-Ray set. I don't even have a BR player yet, and my upconverted DVDs still do me just fine.

Stuff that I want to see fixed:

- ANH Jabba: I thought it looked alright in the 97 editions but keeps getting worse. The TPM Jabba could use a touch up too.
- Hayden as Anakin: My biggest problem with this is that Hayden looks bored and doesn't fit in with the scene. Either remove him completely or make him appear as if he's actually interacting with Yoda and Ben.
- Han Shoots First: They can't make it look like he's dodging the blast anyway so just get rid of it.
- Lightsabers: They look awful in the 04 OT DVDs. Here's a comparison:

1983 and 1997 versions:

2004 DVD version:

Seriously, for a company that prides itself on special effects, how could LFL make something that looks so bad? There's also a part in ANH when Luke is training on the Falcon where his blue Saber has an awkward teal/green color. FIX IT.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Think I'm going to wait and see what the special features are before I commit to preordering the Blu-Ray set. I don't even have a BR player yet, and my upconverted DVDs still do me just fine.

Stuff that I want to see fixed:
- Hayden as Anakin:  FIX IT.

Enough said.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Crackbrick

• Jedi Padawan
  • Crackbrickhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 11:11 AM »
Anyone think GL will screw with these agin?
Like getting rid of the Yoda Puppet in PM?
I wish he would leave things as is.
I would love to have the original included as well.

cb
I Dream of Yumbos...