Author Topic: Star Wars on Blu-Ray  (Read 167982 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Star Wars on Blu-Ray
« Reply #330 on: September 13, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Target - $79 with the lithographs

Best Buy - $89 with a Vader t-shirt

Walmart - $?? with the Fett poster (I would guess $89 unless they match Target)

TRU - $94 with Artoo USB drive (at least that's what their website says--I don't have an ad for them)

Amazon - $79
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:38 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #331 on: September 13, 2011, 12:59 PM »
A $15-ish 2 Gig USB Drive?  Way to go TRU!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49 PM »
It must be cold on that bridge. The black guy is wearing Hoth gear.

He's got sweet Sherman Helmsley Hair.

And it's cold in space, duh. :)

Someone probably just has the AC cranked though.  I'd like to see that scene but I'm happy to not have to explain away another f'd up ROTJ Uniform gaffe.

Uh-oh.

Taken from the 2004 DVD, click for bigger.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Up, he's there...  Well I guess it's just cold in space.  Now I really want a figure of the guy.  Looks like he's wearing the typical fleet officer outfit below (high jack boots, tan pants) like he should...  It being cold is a pretty plausible excuse for why he's not wearing his "Antilles" jacket then I guess.

I want the guy trying to look like the "Bram Stoker's Dracula" there beside Nein Numb too...  That's some poof.

Oh, and thanks for making that have to crowbar in with all the other uniform crowbarring from ROTJ.  :)  None of it is as bad as every Imperial having the same rank I guess, haha.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:17 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52 PM »
From the review up at blu-ray.com

Bonus Disc 2: Original Trilogy Features

Episode IV - Tatooine

Interviews
        Tatooine Overview (3:49): Production illustrator Ralph McQuarrie talks about some of his initial paintings/drawings for George Lucas, 2nd Cameraman Dennis Muren discusses the Tunisian shoot, and sound effect artist Ben Burtt describes how he came up with the Jawa language.
        Mark Hamill Interview (2:15): Hamill briefly discusses working with Lucas, meeting Alec Guiness, and having fun on set.
        Anthony Daniels Interview (1:21): Daniels talks about the odd couple relationship between C-3PO and R2.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Tosche Station (5:21): Awesome. Ever wonder what Tosche Station is? Turns out it's the local hangout for Luke and his buddies. There's a great scene here where Biggs reveals to Luke his plan to join the rebellion. You can see why this was cut--it would definitely slow down the film-- but it's a great piece of previously unseen Star Wars history.
        Old Woman on Tatooine (00:24): An elderly woman tells Luke to drive safely.
        Aunt Beru's Blue Milk (00:31): A shot of Beru filling up her pitcher with that gross-looking gray/blue liquid they drink at the dinner table.
        The Search for R2-D2 (00:42): Lucas cut this scene because he thought the rear projection visual effects weren't up to snuff.
        Cantina Rough Cut (7:18): A preliminary version of the Cantina sequence. Look out for Han-Solo hanging out with a local lady friend!
        Stormtrooper Search (00:54): Some of this unused footage found its way into the Star Wars Holiday Special.

The Collection: Includes sections for Landspeeder Prototype Model, Millenium Falcon Prototype Model, R2-D2, Tatooine From Orbit Matte Painting, Jawa Costume, Tusken Raider Mask, and Ketwol Mask.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode IV - Aboard the Death Star

Interviews
        Aboard the Death Star Overview (5:47): Sound effects designer Ben Burtt talks about how he had a "field day" making sounds for the Death Star.
        Carrie Fisher Interview (1:45): Fischer discusses the audition process and her reaction to her theme in the score.
    Deleted/Extended Scene
        Darth Vader Widens the Search (00:36): Additional footage that made its way into the holiday special.

The Collection: Includes sections for Death Star Prototype Model, Holo-Chess Set, Bridge Power Trench Matte Painting, and Luke's Stormtrooper Torso.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode IV - The Battle of Yavin

Battle of Yavin Overview (4:22): Dennis Muren discusses the process of filming the Death Star trench run sequence.
    Deleted/Extended Scene
        Alternate Biggs and Luke Reunion (00:36): An extended version of the scene, including a reference to Anakin.

The Collection: Includes sections for X-Wing Fighter Prototype and Final Models, Y-Wing Prototype and Final Models, TIE Fighter Prototype and Final Models, Darth Vader's TIE Fighter Model, X-Wing Pilot Costume, Death Star Laster Tower Model, and Yavin 4 Matte Painting.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode V - Hoth

Interviews
        Hoth Overview (3:31): Dennis Muren explains how he tried to do as many of the effects in-camera to avoid having to do complicated composite work. There's some great footage here of the filming of some stop-motion sequences.
        George Lucas on Editing The Empire Strikes Back, 1979 (3:25): A vintage interview with George, who compares editing to constructing a house.
        Irvin Kershner Interview (3:02): Kershner gives his thoughts on Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Han and Leia: Extended Echo Base Argument (1:43): Nice. In this long version of their arguement, Han tells Leia, "You're as cold as this planet."
        Luke's Recovery (1:16): Additional footage of Luke in the medical tank.
        Luke and Leia: Medical Center (2:15): Luke and Leia very nearly end up making out, only to be interrupted by R2.
        Deleted Wampa Scenes (2:43): In the script, the Wampa was supposed to rampage through the Hoth base, but Lucas was unimpressed with the effects work--it's not hard to see why, the Wampa looks like a guy wearing a shag carpet--and the subplot was cut.
        The Fate of General Veers (00:31): Here, General Veers suffers a kamikaze attack from a snowspeeder.

The Collection: Includes sections for AT-AT Walker Fallen Model, Snowspeeder Model, Tauntaun Maquette, Rebel Transport Model, Hoth Landscape Matte Painting, Leia Hoth Costume, and Han Solo Interior Hoth Costume.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode V - Dagobah

Interviews
        Dagobah Overview (4:29): A behind-the-scenes look at the Dagobah set, which presented some unique challenges to shooting. Frank Oz also discusses Yoda's speech syntax.
        George Lucas on the Force, 2010 (5:20): Lucas talks about the philosophy of the Force in what looks to be a writer's room.
    Deleted/Extended Scene
        Yoda's Test (1:21): The special effects were never completed on this sequence, which has Yoda levitating a silver bar and having Luke try to slice it in half.

The Collection: Includes sections for Yoda Model, Luke's Severed Head, Dagobah Bog Matte Painting, Dagobah Matte Painting, and Luke's Tan Costume.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode V - Pursued by the Imperial Fleet

Pursued by the Imperial Fleet Overview (3:25): Muren talks about the execution of the astroid chase sequence.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Hiding in the Astroid (1:06): Here we see Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher reacting to "explosions," which were really just the cameraman shaking the camera.
        Alternate Han and Leia Kiss (1:59): A longer version of the Han/Leia kiss, with C-3PO ruining the moment.

The Collection: Includes sections for Star Destroyer Model, Millennium Falcon Model, Space Slug, Darth Vader's Star Destroyer Model, Star Destroyer Hull Model, Executor Bridge Matte Painting, Boba Fett Prototype Costume, Imperial Officer Costume, and Rebel Cruiser Model.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode V - Cloud City

Cloud City Overview (2:54): Production designer Norman Reynolds talks about the influence of the Bauhaus school of architecture on Cloud City.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Lobot's Capture (00:57): Here, Lando's aide, Lobot, is captured for his role in the rebel escape.
        Leia Tends to Luke (1:03): Leia works on Luke's arm and talks about how Han was taken by Boba Fett.

The Collection: Includes sections for Twin-Pod Cloud Car Model, Cloud City Models, Cloud City Matte Painting, Cloud City Landing Platform Matte Painting, Cloud City Core Vane Matte Painting, Core Vane Platform Matte Painting, Lando Bespin Costume, and Slave I Matte Painting.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode VI - Tatooine

Tatooine Overview: A look at the production design for Jabba's palace.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Vader's Arrival and Reaching Out to Luke (2:50): A nearly complete sequence that almost made it into the final cut, with Vader contacting Luke via the Force while Luke builds his new lightsaber.
        Tatooine Sandstorm (2:15): An impressive sandstorm sequence that never made it into the film. With big goggles and a scarf blowing in the wind, Han Solo looks like a badass here.

The Collection: Includes sections for Rancor Maquette, EV-9D9, Salacious B. Crumb, C-3PO's Head, Jabba's Palace Matte Painting, Sarlacc Pit Matte Painting, Leia's Boushh Costume, Leia's Slave Costume, Lando Skiff Guard Costume, and Jabba's Radio Controlled Eyes.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode VI - Endor

Interviews
        Endor Overview (4:52): Dennis Muren explains how he initially planed out the speeder-bike chase using G.I. Joe models, and how he simulated 100mph speeds by shooting one frame per second.
        Harrison Ford Interview (1:34): Ford talks about Lucas' vision and process.
    Deleted/Extended Scene
        Rebel Raid on the Bunker (2:22): In this extended sequence, the rebels encounter more resistance as they storm the bunker.

The Collection: Includes sections for AT-ST Walker Model, Speeder Bike, Imperial Shuttle Model, Ewok Hang Glider Maquette, Imperial Shuttle Landing Matte Painting, Endor Landing Platform Matte Painting, Ewok Costume, and Biker Scout Costume.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Episode VI - Death Star II Space Battle

Death Star II Space Battle Overview (4:04): Model maker Bill George discusses the added complexities of shooting this attack on the second Death Star.
    Deleted/Extended Scenes
        Jerjerrod's Conflict (2:28): Minor character Commander Jerjerrod was featured in a few additional shots that were ultimately cut from the film. Here, we see his reluctance to carry out the attack on the Endor moon.
        Battle of Endor: The Lost Rebels (9:40): Nine minutes of footage of rebel pilots who never made it into the film, including two female pilots and an Admiral Ackbar-type creature who, at one point, yells out, "Fried calamari tonight!"

The Collection: Includes sections for B-Wing Fighter Model, TIE Interceptor Fighter Model, Death Star Under Construction Model, Imperial Shuttle Bay Matte Painting, Admiral Ackbar Costume, Death Star Docking Bay Matte Painting, and Millennium Falcon in Hangar Matte Painting.
        360 Degree Turnarounds
        Video Commentaries
    Concept Art Gallery

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54 AM »
So where can I pick this up at midnight tonight? Is Walmart my only option?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2011, 12:44 PM »
Target - $79 with the lithographs

Best Buy - $89 with a Vader t-shirt

Walmart - $?? with the Fett poster (I would guess $89 unless they match Target)

TRU - $94 with Artoo USB drive (at least that's what their website says--I don't have an ad for them)

Amazon - $79

Man, what a ****** bunch of exclusives. I'd rather buy at Best Buy, but I need to track down a Target ad so they can price match.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2011, 01:00 PM »
Man, what a ****** bunch of exclusives. I'd rather buy at Best Buy, but I need to track down a Target ad so they can price match.

I remember back in 04 picking up the OT I got BB to price match Target or WM and they did, but they wouldn't give me whatever exclusive they had going with it unless I paid full price. 

Not that I care about any of these exclusives..just sayin
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2011, 03:10 PM »
Sounds like Walmart is the best bet stateside for picking this up tonight at midnight.

I'll be there!

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2011, 03:36 PM »
I saw someone posted the lithos from target over at Rebelscum, They looked more like a postcard set, at least about the same size.

I could be wrong about it tho, since it was the mexican version.

Thanks,
Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with Star Wars, per se, but since this probably wouldn't be a story without Lucas' latest round of tampering, I'll post it here.

Steven Spielberg Regrets Altering ‘E.T.;’ Will Release ‘E.T.’ and ‘Raiders’ on Blu-ray in Original Forms

On Tuesday, Steven Spielberg appeared in LA after a screening of a new digital print of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The print was created from the same new master files that will ultimately be used to create a Blu-ray release. And in a move that will likely delight fans, he expressed regret over alterations made to E.T. a few years ago, where guns were digitally replaced with walkie-talkies, and says that the Blu-ray release of that film will be the original 1982 version. His comments also suggested that the few digital tweaks made to Raiders of the Lost Ark for its 2003 DVD release might also be rolled back.

We’ll have another piece with other good trivia bits that came out of the post-screening talk, but the E.T. and Raiders blu-ray comments are below.

In his early comments after the Raiders screening, Spielberg highlighted that the audience saw the original version of Raiders as seen in first release.  He crowed,

This is the best I think it’s ever looked, because in preparation for the eventual release on blu-ray we had to correct the print again and get the original negative out of the salt mines, and then we had to do the separations, and basically the files, which are just amazing, with all the technology of today, without changing any of the movie materially, we haven’t removed anything, we haven’t added CGI, there’s no digital enhancements! It’s purely the movie you some of you may remember from 1981.

That suggests that even the few digital cleanups made for DVD, such as the erasing of a snake’s reflection in protective plexiglass, won’t be on the new blu-ray, which is great to hear.

Later, he said,

For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. [...] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells "NO!" in unison.] OK, so be it.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2011, 11:12 PM »
48 minutes and counting!  :D

Hoping to watch all the OT deleted scenes before I pass out and have to wake up for work at 6:30am.

Holla!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 15, 2011, 11:34 PM »
Maybe this doesn't have anything to do with Star Wars, per se, but since this probably wouldn't be a story without Lucas' latest round of tampering, I'll post it here.

Steven Spielberg Regrets Altering ‘E.T.;’ Will Release ‘E.T.’ and ‘Raiders’ on Blu-ray in Original Forms

On Tuesday, Steven Spielberg appeared in LA after a screening of a new digital print of Raiders of the Lost Ark. The print was created from the same new master files that will ultimately be used to create a Blu-ray release. And in a move that will likely delight fans, he expressed regret over alterations made to E.T. a few years ago, where guns were digitally replaced with walkie-talkies, and says that the Blu-ray release of that film will be the original 1982 version. His comments also suggested that the few digital tweaks made to Raiders of the Lost Ark for its 2003 DVD release might also be rolled back.

We’ll have another piece with other good trivia bits that came out of the post-screening talk, but the E.T. and Raiders blu-ray comments are below.

In his early comments after the Raiders screening, Spielberg highlighted that the audience saw the original version of Raiders as seen in first release.  He crowed,

This is the best I think it’s ever looked, because in preparation for the eventual release on blu-ray we had to correct the print again and get the original negative out of the salt mines, and then we had to do the separations, and basically the files, which are just amazing, with all the technology of today, without changing any of the movie materially, we haven’t removed anything, we haven’t added CGI, there’s no digital enhancements! It’s purely the movie you some of you may remember from 1981.

That suggests that even the few digital cleanups made for DVD, such as the erasing of a snake’s reflection in protective plexiglass, won’t be on the new blu-ray, which is great to hear.

Later, he said,

For myself, I tried [changing a film] once and lived to regret it. Not because of fan outrage, but because I was disappointed in myself. I got overly sensitive to [some of the reaction] to E.T., and I thought if technology evolved, [I might go in and change some things]…it was OK for a while, but I realized what I had done was I had robbed people who loved E.T. of their memories of E.T. [...] If I put just one cut of E.T. on Blu-ray and it was the 1982, would anyone object to that? [The crowd yells "NO!" in unison.] OK, so be it.

Maybe if George took some tips from his pal Steven Spielberg...
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2011, 02:13 AM »
So anyone else hearing about WM not having the Complete Saga set available, just the Prequals or OT?  A couple friends of mine said that's what they saw at WM's around here, but I didn't personally go out since I don't own a BR player anyway.

Offline Jimree

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2011, 02:31 AM »
Jesse,
I went to Delmont Wal-Mart. There was 1 other guy there, maybe in his late 50's buying it for his son. They had the complete saga, as well as the PT and OT. None of it was out yet, all in boxes, behind the counter. It was an older guy working the counter, and when I asked if there was a poster, he said he didn't know anything about it. I didn't push the subject, becasue the poster was just ok to me. (if someone got it tho, and don't want it, let me know).

The set for the guy in front of me, rang up at 89.99, but he had them price match target at 79.99. When he left, they scanned mine, it rang up at 79.96 without a price match.So wal-mart must have changed their computers pretty quick.

Picked up the Complete Saga and the Padawan Menace.

But people who work at wal-mart never know their exclusives it seems

Jim
Member of PA Star Wars Collecting Society
Twitter - @Jawa_Jim
Instagram - Jawa_Jim