Author Topic: Defender Wishlists 2009: A New Hope  (Read 26890 times)

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Defender Wishlists 2009: A New Hope
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32 AM »
They plan to make Bom vimdin in late 2010. :)

NIce to see Mosep got into the top ten.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I guess I will still vote for them, too. Lucas has been adamant about not releasing several things in the past (like the original releases of the Old Trilogy) yet he gave the nod a couple years ago. It will only be a matter of time.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I'm a little disappointed with the results.  Especially since half of the winners are resculpt requests.  There are still some decent candidates from A New Hope out there.  It was tough for me to omit one Imperial from my own list, that being an Imperial Security Bureau officer.  But hopefully some of my candidates will get made, opening up some room on my list for 2010.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 06:12 PM »
I hate the fact that so many people just want remakes on all the lists, rather new, never before made characters. 

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I think the reason people want resculpts is because the only/most recent versions of the requested character (Rebel Fleet Trooper, Ponda Baba) are significant characters in the film (as opposed to 3rd guy from the left you can almost see for 0.02 seconds) and look badly dated compared to characters from the same scene.  For example compare the RFT to the newer Stormtroopers we have.  Compare Ponda Baba to Wioslea (which of the two actually has lines in ANH?).  While its fun to have the chance to get very obscure characters, a fair portion of the collecting community wants terrible looking figures updated given the great characters Hasbro has produced lately.  I think this list gives a good balance of the obscure with the outdated.
I am not the Stig

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I agree that some figures seriously need updating.  But for HALF of the winners in the poll to be resculpt requests?  That's just odd.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2009, 06:40 PM »
You could argue that is actually 6 as the Imperial Commander is really just a head swap

The last five out were Bannis Keeg, Solomahal and Death Squad Commander, Han Solo Ceremonial and Imp Scan Tech...so another 3 resculpt/repaints

Oh, and I can pretty much guarantee 7 out of 10 of the ESB figures will be resculpts as well
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 06:43 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2009, 07:16 PM »
For me, certain characters are bad enough I hardly consider them part of the current line...

Take Tarkin for instance.  His sculpt is horribly dated, and while his likeness is actually not horrible, his body sculpt is attrocious compared to any other figure who would be considered "similar" such as Chief Bast, or General Veers.

On the other hand, look at Han Solo Bespin...  i think the POTJ figure looks very nice, and it does really fit in beside a VOTC Han, a new Sandtrooper, whatever.  However, the figure's nowhere in the ballpark of being as good a toy overall, as say a VOTC Han.  The articulation's lacking, the headsculpt can be done better these days too...  So yeah, I want that ultimate Bespin Han.  Same goes for Hoth Luke, and the Rebel Fleet Trooper (and many others).  Does the last Hoth Luke look good?  Sure, but he hasn't got a removable hat, working holster, or much articulation at all...  The Fleet Trooper, same deal...  Lacking articulation, a pre-posed/designed sculpt in his chest as well as his feet, no working holster, ****** articulation... 

For me, resculpts are often times vastly higher on my list of wants, than say Mosep.  Not to say I don't want Mosep, I do, but the RFT and Tarkin are probably my #1 and #2 figure wants from ANH...  I'd say one of the officers who had lines would be 3rd, which is sort of new...  I think for almost every movie, I probably would vote resculpts as my #1 though.  The Obi's we're getting may have changed my tune on that though.

Just off the top of my head though, I want a new Evazan, Ponda Baba, Fleet Trooper, Tarkin, Ultimate Tatooine Luke, DSE Luke, ANH Leia with removable hood, and I'd even take resculpts of some X-Wing pilots (Biggs at least) and the like.  I think my resculpt list is even longer for Empire, and possibly Jedi as well...  It's definitely a big list for Phantom Menace as I really don't care much for pod racers and I feel just about every "Naboo" figure needs redone (all 3 soldier types, etc.).

I love when I get something like the Hoth Rebel Soldier so I can retire those POTF2 figures. :)  That's a good feeling getting that definitive figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Well said Jesse.  Although I'm always up for "all new" figures, I have to say that resculpts often take priority for me as well - especially at this point in the line.  While some of the POTF2 figures were nice for the time, or in some cases hold up even today, others really need the update.  The recent Hoth Rebel soldier is a nice example of something we've technically seen before, but woefully needed to be redone.  I hope we see the other rebel soldiers get some "ultimate" versions soon as well.

I also sort of place my votes from the "if the line was going to end, these are the ten I'd want from this movie" standpoint.  One figure Jesse mentioned, Bespin Han Solo, is probably one of the figures I want the most at this point.  The POTJ is actually even one of my favorite figures, but still needs some updating (particularly in articulation) to be up to the current line's standards.  Han is my favorite character, and Empire is my favorite movie - so it all adds up to me wanting a nice "ultimate" figure of this character.

Like I said, I'm all for new characters as well - and we really are starting to scrape the bottom for some of the movies.  I might also be in the minority where I like a nice mix of "big names" and background extras in each wave.  I think recent waves have been a nice mix of that overall.  Like it was already mentioned, if it comes down to a choice between a resculpt of a nice, ultimate Hoth Luke Skywalker (or another main character) and "3rd guy from left/blink and you'll miss him", I'm going for the big name.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I really hope we get the Ultimate SA Han Bespin this fall, he is also my most desired figure. Next would be Ponda Baba & Evezian.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2009, 10:10 AM »
I'm always sad to see that i am the only one who wants a Heater figure.  :-[
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2009, 10:56 AM »
Well, he is a special edition figure.  :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 02:46 PM »
My list from last year, Sans Obi-Wan...

1. Definitive Obi-Wan Kenobi
1. Mosep
2. Grand Moff Tarkin SA
3. Bom Vimdin
4. Uncle Owen
5. Aunt Beru
6. Imperial Officer w/ black tunic
7. Tonnika Sisters
8. Dr Evazan
9. Ponda Baba
10. Wedge Antilles
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2009, 01:12 PM »

Technically, but the scene was filmed in the 70's/
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2009, 11:19 AM »

Technically, but the scene was filmed in the 70's/

Touche'.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."