Author Topic: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack  (Read 84709 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Personally, I love it. I can't wait to buy this set. I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. :)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Thanks Jeff!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2008, 11:25 AM »
The womp rat is definitely a cool addition to this pack.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2008, 01:53 PM »
Am I missing something?  Does this thing have electronics or dispense blue milk?  I know this is a TRU exclusive and all, but $50.  No thanks.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2008, 02:33 PM »
I am surprised the amount of complaints.

I'm not surprised one bit.  Some people seem to only post in the forums to compain about something.  Over time one comes to expect it from certain individuals.

Not that I want to grovel to Hasbro but I definitely appreciate the attempt and will support both endeavors.

Same here.  I'm certainly not bowing before them.  But like you, I appreciate Hasbro being willing to explore new ways of putting out environments/playsets.  If they say that they can't put them out as stand-alone pieces, well I actually don't agree with that, but this is better than no attempt at all.

Let's enjoy what Hasbro's doing here - this isn't the typical "more of the same" kind of playset pieces they've put out in the past.  These are environment pieces that actually are a fair representation of what we see on screen, and don't have action features included. 

A number of collectors have been clamoring for this sort of thing for years now, and quite often get blasted by other collectors telling us to just "shut up and quit speculating" because we're annoying them by bringing it back up, as we attempt to hammer the idea into Hasbro's head.  Well, that's what a lot of the fun is in this hobby - speculating what could be made - Star Wars is all about creative imagination, and the fans' imagination and sharing of ideas is a huge aspect of this hobby and will continue to be.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2008, 04:02 PM »
First, nobody's opinion is invalid so can we just leave the way people feel about it out of the conversation?  I've said this in the past, it's not a difficult rule to follow really...  Someone doesn't like it?  Fine...  State why you do or don't, but lay off the "Some people just like to complain" remarks because they're not appreciated on this board.  Enjoy the toy if you want, and don't enjoy it if you don't...  Everyone has valid reasons for both points of view.

Second...  I'm in the camp that does NOT like this...  Not for $50.  $30, maybe...  I dig the womprat, the paintjob is nice and spiffs it up a bit, but the figures are a detraction from the set to me and have to be factored into the overall "value" here.

This is essentially just a couple pieces of plastic too...  Keep in mind Hasbro confirmed as much.  It's a very simple piece, yet it's costing us $50 for said simple piece + some rehashed figures?  Come on...  That's not cool at all.

I dig the womprat, I dig another vaporator even, but I guess I'm just disappointed.  To me the Sarlacc Pit is more interesting as a toy...  It has some "action" to it sort of, so I'm into it as it's really kind of an action figure unto itself.  The plastic dome though, just doesn't do it for me... 

Had the figures been better, I think my opinion would've been swayed.  I think Hasbro could've used an existing Jedi body as a base, add some softgoods, and a slightly new tooled head to fit the body, and they'd have delivered a better Owen that I'd probably have been content with.  The Sandtrooper...  Eh.  I dunno, a new gun would've been nice at least to push me on that figure...  Beru I'm cool with as-is as she's at least a nice sculpt.

For me though, Hasbro just needed to put forth a little more effort on the figures to get me to like it "enough".  For $30 I'd be totally there right now though.  THe rat and paintjob would've probably sold me.  For $50, not so much.  To me it was all about pricing on this one and I think Hasbro overpriced it.  I feel the same way on the Previews TIE Fighter, and as much as I want the pilot I'll be skipping it due to outrageous pricing.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2008, 04:31 PM »
First, nobody's opinion is invalid so can we just leave the way people feel about it out of the conversation?  I've said this in the past, it's not a difficult rule to follow really...  Someone doesn't like it?  Fine...  State why you do or don't, but lay off the "Some people just like to complain" remarks because they're not appreciated on this board.  Enjoy the toy if you want, and don't enjoy it if you don't...  Everyone has valid reasons for both points of view.

As long as that goes for both sides of the aisle, then fair enough.

Second...  I'm in the camp that does NOT like this...  Not for $50.  $30, maybe...  I dig the womprat, the paintjob is nice and spiffs it up a bit, but the figures are a detraction from the set to me and have to be factored into the overall "value" here.

This is essentially just a couple pieces of plastic too...  Keep in mind Hasbro confirmed as much.  It's a very simple piece, yet it's costing us $50 for said simple piece + some rehashed figures?  Come on...  That's not cool at all.

I dig the womprat, I dig another vaporator even, but I guess I'm just disappointed.  To me the Sarlacc Pit is more interesting as a toy...  It has some "action" to it sort of, so I'm into it as it's really kind of an action figure unto itself.  The plastic dome though, just doesn't do it for me... 

Had the figures been better, I think my opinion would've been swayed.  I think Hasbro could've used an existing Jedi body as a base, add some softgoods, and a slightly new tooled head to fit the body, and they'd have delivered a better Owen that I'd probably have been content with.  The Sandtrooper...  Eh.  I dunno, a new gun would've been nice at least to push me on that figure...  Beru I'm cool with as-is as she's at least a nice sculpt.

For me though, Hasbro just needed to put forth a little more effort on the figures to get me to like it "enough".  For $30 I'd be totally there right now though.  THe rat and paintjob would've probably sold me.  For $50, not so much.  To me it was all about pricing on this one and I think Hasbro overpriced it.  I feel the same way on the Previews TIE Fighter, and as much as I want the pilot I'll be skipping it due to outrageous pricing.

The way I see it is we're seeing some cool environments coming out this year.  Finally, finally, finally!

While neither of them that we know of so far are stand alone pieces in how they are being marketed, at least we are finally getting an attempt by Hasbro to put out some movie-esque diorama/playset pieces.  Call them whatever one wants - all I care about is that they're good for display. 

The price on these is also a bit high like you say, as apparently Hasbro is banking on this being the best way to sell these sort of pieces - pack in existing figures, a vehicle or something too, and package it all up into one box, and market it as a Battle Pack.

I'd rather see stand-alone pieces priced more affordably - but for now at least, this is Hasbro's approach.  And if you really want them, you at least now have the option of picking them up. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2008, 06:18 PM »

Agreed.  Offering an opinion on someone else's opinion strays off topic and it's not conducive to an honest discussion about the actual product.

I agree here to an extent.  I think the idea is good.  The dome from the Homestead is one of those images that brings you back to ANH.  And seeing that in plastic form is cool.  And a womp rat too?  Very cool indeed!

But there are some definite negatives to go along with the positives.  The price is prohibitive.  Especially because I think the dome itself isn't much better as a set piece than the POTF2 Endor bunker or Hoth playsets.  And both of those sold at a $19.99 price point.

Certainly you also need to factor in the figures as well, but those aren't impressive.  We're getting 2 POTF2 repacks (which look very dated) and a TSC Sandtrooper plus the new Womprat as well as the moisture vaporator.  But even if you price the figures at $5 each, the pack should only cost about $40 at the most.  I feel like those of us who would really like the dome are getting squeezed a bit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2008, 06:42 PM »
I'd really like to get this just for the dome.  Obviously many of us don't need the figures, but Hasbro had to throw something in there.  I just can't see how a dome, 2 old people, a Sandtrooper, and a rat would be appealing to too many folks outside of our realm.  I don't think Target or WM would have picked up this set since it's pretty darned boring, but I'm pretty sure they would have sold it for $10-$15 cheaper.  I think the Sarlac pack will do fine since there's a lot going on there, plus I'm sure it'll be around the $50 range just like last years UBPs.  But this price?  For such a small set?  I recall early on a price of $30-35 and I think that would have been fine for the majority of us, but I really think these things are just going to start piling up at $50.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 06:55 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »

^ There's clearly some sort of environment on the interior... a table?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2008, 07:18 PM »
Hasbro said the inside does have a table in oen of the Q&A's recently, but I forget who asked it now...

But they did say inside is just a basic table.  No mention of other stuff for it though (IE: chairs or anything).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2008, 09:07 PM »
Outside of the figs, this is a great concept.  $50 however is outrageous.  I appreciate Hasbro taking a leap at playsets and big ships when gas is what it is, but my dollars only go so far and this is not worth $50.  Plain and simple.  Shame.  Was looking forward to it.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2008, 11:21 PM »
I am really excited about this set, but I'm a tad bit disappointed with the price.

The Womprat is a nice addition to the set, the three figures are a wash for me, I'd really be buying this for the hovel part.

What would be really cool is if Hasbro is trying to down-play the fact that hidden in the package will be two burnt skeletons. I know that's wishful thinking, but it would really help sell this set if it came with crispy Owen and Beru. Heck, if it did, I'd even forgive them for packing in these two figures from the 90s.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2008, 11:42 PM »
Star Wars is all about creative imagination.

No it's not.  It's about two things: lightsabers and bargains, and this thing's got neither.  Okay, Star Wars isn't about bargains, but still, I would totally buy two of these things if it was just the hovel for $20 each.  That "pull my finger" Owen is one of the worst figures in the entire line.

Is that a womprat, or is it the tusken raider/geonosis dog lizard thing?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2008, 02:04 AM »
Is that a womprat, or is it the tusken raider/geonosis dog lizard thing?

Womprat

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 02:05 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird