Author Topic: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack  (Read 84729 times)

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack
« Reply #225 on: September 4, 2008, 09:48 AM »
Hey Adam...can I say "I told you so" now? 

Are you implying that I would listen to *anyone* before deciding not to purchase a Star Wars action figure toy for my collection? :)

Yet, you give critiques on several SW items on forums, websites, etc.  Ironic, isn't it?   ;D

It looked like a piece of crap before, and low and behold, it was.  That's all I'm saying...
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 4, 2008, 10:31 AM »
Thanks for the news/review on this set Adam.  I'm one of those who was/is "on the fence", mostly due to the pricepoint, and your viewpoints might just cause me to pass on this altogether.  I really wanted to get the "igloo", but $50 seemed too much before - and definitely does now.  I guess I can just hope I can pick it up cheaper later on.  Personally, I don't have the Owen or Beru figures - but neither seem to be much to write home about, so I might just wait for possible future re-dos - or pick them up cheaper on ebay.  If this were $20 (or even $10) cheaper, I probably wouldn't hesitate.  With so many of us running out of room, and trying to stick to a budget, I don't know if this was a great decision by Hasbro.  If they wanted to charge $50 for it, how about sticking the Saga Landspeeder in there with the set piece instead - and maybe a repack of VOTC Luke or something instead of the craptastic Beru and Owen (since you know we wouldn't get all-new versions here).  Anyways, thanks for the thoughts, I think it will help a lot of us decide on this one.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 4, 2008, 01:39 PM »
Boy this set just gets worse and worse.

Why did they even bother?
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 4, 2008, 01:53 PM »
I'm still glad that Hasbro did give something like this a shot, but at the same time aggravated because it's sounding like their delivery is going to piss away the chance at more mini diorama/playsets or whatever they are.

I'll still fork over the $50 though when I see it.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 4, 2008, 04:04 PM »
Yet, you give critiques on several SW items on forums, websites, etc.  Ironic, isn't it?   ;D

It looked like a piece of crap before, and low and behold, it was.  That's all I'm saying...

Some people tell jokes on network TV at 11:30 at night.  Some people write books.  Others work in offices, help people get well, and cure diseases.

I play with and write about small plastic men.  You may as well ask a bird not to sing, or to vomit into the mouths of its young.

I played with it more since I got it and once you remove the igloo from the base, it's less crappy.  Expensive, sure, but it's amazing what juxtaposing an item of modest quality (the igloo) next to a piece of junk (the base) can do for the entire package.  Hasbro may have been better served to merely have sandy-colored cardboard, just because it would remove the "bad" element and just have fewer overall pieces.

I'm not like CHEWIE-- I have no talent, no skills, and can't make a cool custom to save my life.   But *I* could replicate the base out of actual sand sold at TRU, a comb, and, I presume, some hairspray.  (Hey, I've played in the sandbox, I know the score here.)

Also, if you get one of these, take a look at the bottom of the igloo.  There are some holes near the entrance that almost look to me as if there was another kind of base originally planned for this item.  It wouldn't surprise me if they downgraded it as Hasbro talked a lot about costing this item out at Comic-Con and it sounds like there were definite budget considerations in its development.

Given the chance I'd still buy it again.  I wouldn't suggest everyone else do so, but I like to get my hands on these things.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 4, 2008, 05:08 PM »
Hopefully there's enough people like you and me Adam that will buy this thing, even though it's clearly not the quality or value that it should be.  If it were a vehicle they screwed up this bad on, then for me at least it *might* be a different story... but seeing that this is the closed thing to a playset that I like in the modern line, I'm getting it. 

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 4, 2008, 05:27 PM »
Well, I just hope people who buy it know what they're getting, be it from something they read on forums, a hands-on play test, or a good examination of the toy in the store.  Surprises aren't welcome when it comes to this sort of thing, especially given the quality of previous Hasbro playsets and environments.

If the Sarlacc is like this-- and I'm going to bet that it will be-- I'd be fine never seeing another environment out of Hasbro again.  (And that might hurt even worse, because the figures are recycled from a Battle Pack, the Skiff is recycled, and the selling point IS the mound of dirt.)  If the selling point of the $60 set is essentially a flimsy, disposable piece, why bother going down this road?

I miss cardboard.  At least they passed the savings along, and they store flat.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Hobbie

• Jedi Initiate
  • Astromechs never pegwarm.
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Astromechs
« Reply #232 on: September 4, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Well, I always wanted the igloo, but I expect a little more for $30 than this igloo. 

Right now, you can buy a Hoth bp with 5 figures, including a big probe droid and a repainted R5-M2 for $20.  This set has 3 reissued characters plus the igloo and a womp rat of the same size as that wolf thing that was released a couple times with a tusken and a geonesian.  Assuming the womp rat is equal to the value of the probe droid + R5-M2, (which of course it isn't) that leaves the igloo for $30, which is the same price point we've seen the X-Wing, ARC fighter, etc for. 

To make this worthwhile, or at least not an insult, they should have included 2 troopers and that little light-up green security droid.  Actually, that still wouldn't have made this worthwhile...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 5, 2008, 06:13 PM »
I bit the bullet today and bought this.  Maybe if I waited a few months I could get one for less at a show or something, but I never find good clearance deals at TRU and I'm starting a big re-do of the shelves this weekend and wanted to have this now to be able to factor it in.  I'm also trying to look at it as a waste of $20 instead of a waste of $50, since I'd have gladly paid $30 for it.

Oh well.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 6, 2008, 12:43 PM »
After opening it up I was also surprised by the flat out cheapness of the plastic they used for the base.  It feels like a throwaway Halloween decoration or a cheap plastic mask or something.  Not sturdy at all.  I'm thinking about taking the hut off of it and throwing it into the closet.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 6, 2008, 03:36 PM »
I feel the same way Rob.  I really like the hut - it looks fantastic.  The base though is really weak... yeuck.  Overpriced, but I'm still glad that I picked this up.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 6, 2008, 09:11 PM »
After opening it up...

Overpriced, but I'm still glad that I picked this up.

Suckers.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2008, 08:20 PM »
This oughta make y'all smile:  it is listed in TRU Canada's computer at $39.99 :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 10, 2008, 08:47 PM »
This oughta make y'all smile:  it is listed in TRU Canada's computer at $39.99 :-X

:o

so not only is the AT-TE like $5 cheaper in canada but this thing is 10? I guess the price is easier to swallow but I am still skipping it.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 10, 2008, 10:27 PM »
I bit the bullet today and bought this.  Maybe if I waited a few months I could get one for less at a show or something, but I never find good clearance deals at TRU and I'm starting a big re-do of the shelves this weekend and wanted to have this now to be able to factor it in.  I'm also trying to look at it as a waste of $20 instead of a waste of $50, since I'd have gladly paid $30 for it.

Oh well.

Be honest.  You bought it just for the womprat didn't you?