Author Topic: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack  (Read 84718 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Disturbance at the Lars Homestead Scene Pack?
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2008, 09:41 AM »
This oughta make y'all smile:  it is listed in TRU Canada's computer at $39.99 :-X

Well, when it first appeared in our TRU computers, it was $35...

From the TRU computer (courtesy of RS):

059672 - $34.99 Ex Disturbance at Lars Homestead

Either you guys didn't get the price bump we did or your lazy TRU employees haven't updated the price yet...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: TRU "Disturbance at Lars Homestead" Battle Pack
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2008, 10:10 AM »
Interesting.  I'll let you know when it comes out.  Not that I'll be buying it. 

At the same time, the AT-TE was $5 cheaper up here, so strange things do happen on occasion.  It certainly is hard to accept the notion we might get something cheaper, but I guess times change.  Our dollar is moderately stable at $0.96 US, a far cry from what it was six years ago.  Third world we may still be, but it seems you've sunk to our level ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2008, 12:40 AM »
MMMMMmmmmm  I can almost taste the Pemacan trading.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2008, 06:11 PM »
I picked this set up today - as in lifted it off the shelf to check it out and set it back down.  Nice dome, but I have no idea where TRU came up with a $50 pricepoint.  Sure they charge more for their exclusives which has come to be expected, but WTF happend on this set?  I would have reluctantly bit at $30 - $35 which was what was first reported, but there's no way in hell they're getting $50 from me for the dome and some lame outdated figures.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2008, 11:03 PM »
I saw this set today at TRU.  I love the dome itself.  Unfortunately I can't do it guys/gals.  I cannot plunk down the $50 for this set.  At least not right now.  It truly is priced $15-20 more than it should be.  When they so much other cooler items on the shelves I just can't plunk down a 50 spot for this item.  I will go for the Sarlacc set though. 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #245 on: September 22, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Hell, tonight I had a $20 gift card from buying the TFU game and still couldn't bring myself to buy it. I grabbed an Evo set I needed instead. I don't recall an item that has been more panned than this "turd in the punch bowl".
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:19 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2008, 03:39 PM »
I bit the bullet on this item on Friday. It's a mixed bag for me, the Womprat and dome are great, they are the saving grace that made the purchase worthwhile. The Sandtrooper and the Evaporator are really nice too but been there done that. The two Old folks from 97/98 and the styrene sand base are what really brings down the set. I agree this is $10-$15 too much, hell even $39.99 would have been easier to swallow. Despite all of that I am glad they made an attempt, the dome itself looks great in Dioramas.

I will support the Sarlacc too, hopefully given time Hasbro will get the ball rolling making these kind of sets truly special. It takes time to get these things right so I will give Hasbro some slack. (FYI - TRU set the price not Hasbro) Unfortunately for them they raised the bar so high people get overly critical when they fall short.

Let's see the Sarlacc before final judgment is passed with Hasbro and "Play sets".
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:24 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2008, 03:56 PM »
Agreed... and I wonder how much TRU is marking these up.  If they're only making a 30-35% profit, then I think Hasbro is charging them too much.  But if this thing is marked up 50-60% or something, then I think the real problem lies in TRU on this one; not Hasbro.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Agreed... and I wonder how much TRU is marking these up. 

Whatever it is, it's the standard retail mark-up. These things seldom work on a slide rule.  :D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Even on exclusives?  In my experience in retail, there can be a huge variance.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2008, 10:40 PM »
someone take pictures. I want to see the crappyness of this set.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48 PM »
someone take pictures. I want to see the crappyness of this set.

Chewie took some pics of his playset. Feast your eyes on an igloo sitting in dogshit.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 10:49 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2008, 12:27 AM »
Ugh,  it's just frustrating.  I really do want them to make playsets or dioramas.  But man that thing is just too much money for what it is.  There is no play value at all.  Yeah the roof comes off but all you get is an incredibly lame table.  Barbie and Ken have better table accesories than that thing.  Then you get 2 lame figures from the tale end of the last century.  The womp rat is boring.  The vaporator and sandtrooper are okay of course.  But for $50 there has to be something more exciting to this Hasbro.  Add the garage or the Lar's family speeder.  Or even Luke's landspeeder.  Spice the damn thing up big H.   Of course it will not sell well and they will say "playsets and dioramas just don't sell."  Well yeah when the final product is this lame sure it won't. 

Sorry, just disappointed in this thing.  Anyway, crank out the damn Death Star Playset.  It's been 13 years overdue anyway. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2008, 01:50 AM »
I hate to be the Debbie Downer here though, but Hasbro's said what you get for what you pay is going to be something like this...  They didn't lie to us, this thing is what they said basically they can deliver for $50.  Some old figures and a single-piece of molded plastic...  They've always been honest that Playsets = lotsa moolah though.

I agree wholeheartedly though that this isn't worth $50, not by a longshot.  I just think that, according to everything they've always said, this is what we have to expect from them for that price.  Expecting more just isn't going to happen.

The Falcon is $150, it's "iconic", it's not exclusive because of the material it's based on so it can be sold at every major retailer, and it even has at least some "major event" helping it go along.  It's more akin to what people want I think as far as detailing goes and whatnot.  I guarantee there's little "corner cuts" Hasbro made there though to bring it in at $150 even, and even at $150 I can't say the Falcon's a runaway hit (at least not near me, I see them just about everywhere I go readily available).

I do think the Falcon is more akin to what people want in terms of the quality in a "playset", but how many things could Hasbro make that have that level of appeal/iconic status that kids would want them too, and would they be as grand as the Falcon?  Would they be even something all the major retailers would want to pick up or would they fall to exclusive status and a higher pricepoint (likely)?

Tough to say...  I just know looking at the Tatooine Igloo there, I'm not impressed and won't support it, not for $50.  $30, and I'd probably bite.  The Sandtrooper, Womprat, and Vaporator would be enough to make me take the hit at $30 for a very nice display piece for my Tatooine shelf.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2008, 09:35 AM »
Did you notice in the background they put an old dewback with the buff-style sandtrooper?

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours