Author Topic: Legacy Wave 3 - Repaints/Repacks  (Read 38796 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Legacy Wave 3 - Repaints/Repacks
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:47 AM »
According to one of SSG's questions this week, a repaint wave is upon us again this year, and again due to some production issue/delay that's pushed a decent wave of figures out for a wave of figures we probably didn't want or need...

So, with that in mind...  What do you want?  What could Hasbro possibly redeco that we'd care about?

Me, I don't have a clue at the moment...  Repaints aren't necessarilly all bad, but if you're like me, a lot of them aren't real high on the list of wants...  Some maybe, like the Hawkbat Batallion Clone was really cool and desired (to me at least), but R2-B1, Red Naboo Dude, Pax Bonkik and stuff just seemed meh...  Some ones I could stand though?

-Imperial Techie...  A kitbash of the "Imperial Officer" from the waist up, with the bendable knee legs of the POTJ/etc. TIE Pilot pack-in figure.  The legs fit PERFECTLY and are the correct sculpt even for the jumpsuit!  How can you go wrong here?  Sure it's not perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than a non-poseable leg version. :)  Give him a light grey deco with the silver/black Impy Logo patches on his shoulders, and you have a pretty rockin' figure for your Destroyer bridge, or just hanging around in your Imperial hangar you don't have.  Include the scanner box as an accessory, as it is a cool box, and a gun, and you're set.

-E or U-3PO...  Would it be so wrong to get Endor C-3PO in simple silver chrome?  Include some kind of junk accessory, and that'd be neat I think.  A Bespin Sculpture would be equally cool for whichever one of those two was on Bespin.  All I know is, silver protocol droids are cool, and cooler when they dont' have the TC-14 sculpt disadvatnages.

-Ewok 2-pack...  Simple logic would tell you to put the Romba/Graak pack out with radically different decorations.  Instant new Ewok figures.  Hasbro is dumb not to do this, I have deemed it so.

-Wookiee Warrior...  I may be in the minority, but I love the Preview Wookiee and I'd take a new one.  If they could slip the new battlepack belt/gear on him and maybe whip up a new gun (headsculpt?), that'd be simply outstanding.  Not likely, but outstanding.

-Orange R5 Droid...  The ANH Mos Eisley R5 that rolls by during the Sandtrooper questioning.  I love that push pop colored R5, as it's so 70's Retro.

-Light Blue Power Droid...  Make it a 2-pack Hasbro!  Pack the light blue Power Droid from Mos Eisley in with the R5.  Instant awesomeness.  Or, tickle the balls of vintage fans by making a dark blue "vintage" repaint of the gonk droid...  That would make people cry with joy.

-White IG Droid...  Another Bespin lame-o, take the vintage IG-88 and give him the worn white deco of the junk IG droid on Bespin whose name currently escapes me.  I'd dig that, and so would Jesus.

Now, things NOT to do...

-Stormtrooper, Scout, or Snowtrooper repaints...  Don't do it, please.

-No Clone repaint you made up Hasbro, please...  Stop ruining Clone fun for us all.

-No Vader's...  Enough with Vader already.  It's offensive at this point. 

I'm pretty open to most anything else, but the above would just make me groan I think.  As it is, a repaint wave bumping something possibly OT-oriented, is annoying.  It's already a fairly OT-dry year, or at least feels that way, so the thought of a repaint wave is just a little bit of a bummer.  Repaints at $8 are even bigger bummers too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:32 PM by Jeff »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Wave 3 - Repaints/Repacks
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:09 AM »
Not necessarily what I want but we could get,

41st Elite Legion Clone Trooper (Gray and white armor)
Clone Trooper - Training Fatigues (Blue)
Some Hologram figure (Hasbro loves these)
Battle Droid 2-Pack (Pilot and Security)
An Astromech Droid

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11 AM »
The repaint wave is a little disappointing to me.  That is one wave I probably would have skipped much of last year if it wasn't for completing the coin album, and this time it will be the Build-a-Droid.  I'm sure there are some nifty repaints they could actually think of (like Jesse's ewoks idea - and the rest), so hopefully we'll get some decent figures out of it.  Personally, I hope at least some are OT-based, and enough with repainted clones.  Lord knows we'll be cloned out by that point anyways, if we aren't already.

Looking at that answer, I'm trying to figure out what is up for the rest of the year.  They list that "waves 1 and 3 will contain four build-a-droid astromechs", when what we have seen are waves 1 and 2 (ROTJ and Clone Wars) both containing astros.  Maybe its just a typo.  Then they say that there are 24 remaining figures after that, with the "4 subsequent waves containing protocol droids".  So, by that logic, does that mean we've got four waves of 6 coming after the first two waves that we've seen?  If so, we know one is repaints, and one is ROTS.  It really could be a light OT year, but hopefully some of those other remaining waves (or all of them) will be OT-based.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:44 AM »
Not necessarily what I want but we could get,

Clone Trooper - Training Fatigues (Blue)
Some Hologram figure (Hasbro loves these)
Battle Droid 2-Pack (Pilot and Security)
An Astromech Droid

Some of those are really good ideas Rune.
I'd definitely take the Clone Trooper - Training Fatigues (Blue) and the Battle Droid 2-Pack (Pilot and Security). As to the hologram figure, how about your namesake and Nute Gunray as holograms. Okay just one of them obviously for this wave. And astromech is almost a given. I'd prefer the yellow R5 droid as seen on Tatooine.

I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:20 AM »
  Or, tickle the balls of vintage fans

I'd certainly take a ball-tickling  :-*.  Lol, I tell you what, the orange R5 sounds great, but even moreso I'd love the red leader R5 with the red and black paint scheme.  Definitely a Mos Eisley gonk (perhaps with a repaint of the TAC Jawa) and the ewoks- though maybe for variety they could give us a 2-pack repaint using Chirpa's (not-too-articulated unfortunately) body and Graak's body.  Though my ultimate repaint desire is the Spirit Obi-Wan in solid colors.  That is to me the best Old Ben we've gotten so far, and I'd buy 3 or more for various ANH dioramas.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Some of those are really good ideas Rune.
I'd definitely take the Clone Trooper - Training Fatigues (Blue) and the Battle Droid 2-Pack (Pilot and Security). As to the hologram figure, how about your namesake and Nute Gunray as holograms. Okay just one of them obviously for this wave. And astromech is almost a given. I'd prefer the yellow R5 droid as seen on Tatooine.

If we got the Battle Droid 2-Pack I'd hope it'd be the POTJ Security Battle Droid sculpt for both of them, and not the Saga Legends.

As for the hologram, if they'd release a Gunray hologram I'd rather it be the canceled TPM version, it has more articulation than the regular TPM Gunray.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 10:34 AM by Rune Haako »

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:55 AM »
I hope we get the holo Nute. As for repaints there could be some good ones. As mentioned Ewoks make sense and would be awesome. I know i would like a vintage style Power Droid as well. I have had enough with repainted clones so no more of those.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Though my ultimate repaint desire is the Spirit Obi-Wan in solid colors.  That is to me the best Old Ben we've gotten so far, and I'd buy 3 or more for various ANH dioramas.

That is a great idea, and one that many of us around here have been hoping for.  Hopefully that's a repaint they can do in this wave.  I like the other ideas here as well.  Hopefully it will be a better overall lineup than the last repaint wave (some were good, some so not).  If we were going to get more polka dot clones and things along those lines, I'd just as soon see them repack the VOTC Han or EB Chewie in there, just to get a nice figure along with a build-a-droid piece.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:25 AM »
Repaints eh?  Sometimes these can be really good... Personally I loved the Pax... much, much cooler looking than a Greedo, especially the skin tone... slap a black VSTC Han Solo vest on him and you have a cool group of Rodian thugs.

As for more repaints?  I think the're's a rich choice of possibilities, and I guess a wave of this nature would have around 8 figures, right?  Assuming that, here's my choices -

TAC Po Nudo - Just a different color of robe and maybe make the skin darker and you have another Aqualish Separatist.

TAC Nelvin Anakin - Just throw a different set of legs on this, and remove the tattoos and you have a ROTS version of him without the shirt.

TAC Death Star Trooper - Instead of black, make his uniform gray.

TAC Airborne Trooper - Wouldn't it be cool to see one in pure white without any markings?

TAC Jawa w/ POTF2 Gonk - Seems this would do fine, just update the paint schemes.

ROTS SA Clone - Give it the gray markings from the ones we see on Coruscant that are preparing to depart for Coruscant. 

POTC Pablo Jill - Just alter his cloak color slightly, or skin tone.  Whatever, just get him back on the pegs.

Tantive IV Stormtrooper - A pretty good Stormie that hasn't been on a regular card yet.  If you feel the need, throw an ever-so slight amount of weathering on him, though I think just plain white would be fine.  Repaint?  Not really.  But a great figure.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35 AM »

ROTS SA Clone - Give it the gray markings from the ones we see on Coruscant that are preparing to depart for Coruscant. 

Haven't we essentially been saturated with this figure through both EVO releases (2005 & 2008) and the SL Clone Commander?

Even though this is my favorite Clone deco, I wouldn't want this re-re-released just to fill a potential repaint wave slot.

As for my picks I'll have to give it some thought.  :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:39 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:36 AM »
TAC Po Nudo - Just a different color of robe and maybe make the skin darker and you have another Aqualish Separatist.

If you mean Nudo's aide from ROTS, then no, he needs a completely new sculpt. :P

Haven't we essentially been saturated with this figure through both EVO releases (2005 & 2008) and the SL Clone Commander?

Even though this is my favorite Clone deco, I wouldn't want this re-re-released just to fill a potential repaint wave slot.

Using the SA ROTS sculpt, which we haven't gotten yet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 11:39 AM by Rune Haako »

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55 AM »

Using the SA ROTS sculpt, which we haven't gotten yet.

Yeah, I realize the sculpt is different. My objection was to another clone with this deco.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I too hope it's clone free. Here are my thoughts:

1. TAC Jawa w/ POTF2 Gonk - Expanding on Chewie's suggestion make the Gonk vintage style!
2. White IG-88
3. R5-K6 (Red Leader's astromech)
4. TC-14 (Endor C-3P0 body)
5. Sora Bulk as Dark Jedi
6. Ewok Warrior 2-pack
7. Hoth Rebel Pilot (Use that new Evo tool and slap a head on it)
8. Geonosian Warrior (Another Sun Fac Repaint but painted like Saga Style)

Here are my runner up picks:
1. Tie Pilot (Saga2 DSG with Fell helmet/chest gear)
2. Endor Rebel Nik Sant (Use Evo Dooku head)
3. Slap Abe's head on a kitbashed body to make the other Duro in the Cantina.
4. #41 Clone with grey markings (I agree there is a very good chance we will see this one)
5. Clone Wars Arc space whale pilot (Evo repainted)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 12:32 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 12:34 PM »
Although I haven't done it myself, I thought I remembered reading here that putting the TIE gear from the comic pack Baron Fel figure on the TSC Death Star Gunner made a pretty spiffy, SA TIE Pilot (if I'm remembering correctly).  That wouldn't be a bad figure to see out there again too (since we seem to only get them with TIE exclusives right now), although I guess it isn't technically a repaint either.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 12:37 PM »
Interesting development.  There's definitely the potential for some decent repaints.  Off the top of my head I'd like to see the following:

-R5-A7 - Naboo Royal Starship
-Red Leader's R5 unit
-Almost any protocol droid repaint (E-3PO, U-3PO, TC-4)
-Clone in Training gear - blue uniform
-41st Elite Clone - SA #41 version (the Evolutions version was better suited to the officer, and the battle pack version was inferior)
-Galactic Marine - white version from the comic 2-pack
-Endor Rebel Trooper - Give the most recent version a head swap
-Tycho - grey flightsuit repaint
-Bespin Luke - the VTAC version with battle wear/damage
-Imperial tech - a grey version of the POTJ/SAGA Imperial Officer
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback