Author Topic: More Ultimate Battlepacks  (Read 14806 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: More Ultimate Battlepacks
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 08:31 PM »
I think both of these can be really exciting and if its the only way to get a Sebastian Shaw head on a spirit figure then i am more than happy to buy it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41 AM »
I donno. I want a Sebastian Shaw head too, but 50 bucks is a little steep. ;)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04 AM »
Interesting idea DP that the Falcon could appear in some sort of Ultimate Battle Pack...

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 10:55 AM »
Agreed, and makes more sense than a 100% newly tooled version.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 10:55 AM by ruiner »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Personally, I would like to see the death star escape set be a hanger scene with a quarter portion of the Falcon. (properly scaled of course)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 12:08 PM »
Personally, I would like to see the death star escape set be a hanger scene with a quarter portion of the Falcon. (properly scaled of course)

That would be outstanding, similar to the Attakus set in many regards!

Also, I really don't see them repacking the old POTF2 Falcon in this, in any fashion.  Especially if we're looking at a $150.00 price point... sure, it's possible... but I think unlikely.  Hasbro's appears to be opening their eyes more these days rather than have the close minded view that playsets or large vehicles can't be successful.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27 PM »
I think I'd be pretty surprised to see an all-new (or significantly changed) Falcon in an UBP.  If Hasbro was going to go through the trouble of doing a new Falcon, especially after all of the "hype" around it, I doubt they would limit it to a limited time item at one store (Target).  Then again, you never know.  I just don't see a lot of people paying $150 for the old Falcon, 6 repacked figures, and maybe 1-2 "new" figures.  Maybe parents spend a lot more on Christmas these days, but I never would have gotten a $150 present for Christmas either.  $50 seemed about right for the UBP range to me - last year's were good values for what you received.

I'd really like to see an all-new Falcon someday soon, but I could wait until next year.  With the big CW and Indy pushes this year, along with the AT-TE, and probably two more UBPs - I don't think I could afford it.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 01:14 PM »
I say no tot he falcon in the UBP's. I think the 50.00 price point and size they are now works better. I think they sell more than a 150.00 set would.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 02:05 PM »
Who knows... I agree, the vintage mold Falcon would not be suited well in an UBP.  I am so sick of that mold, I never want to see it again.

Anyways, if the $150 Falcon is true, I could totally see them trying something like this out however like what Phruby suggested.  Maybe they do two sets over a two year period, each year we get a different half of the Falcon.

2009 - First half of Falcon w/ Death Star figures, perhaps a corridor too or something

2010 - Second half of Falcon w/ Hoth figures, perhaps a hover sled and a Taun Taun too or something

Really though, there's no way of telling what Hasbro might have up their sleeve... Hasbro even admitted (can't remember where I saw it) that they were surprised to see how interested 3-3/4" collectors were with the Attakus set.  Why they were surprised just goes to show that they are or were stuck in a mindset that things like this can't work.  Which to me is absolutely incorrect.  Things like this can go over well if they pay attention to the details most of the community is looking for - film accuracy as close as possible without child-oriented action features such as spring doors, rotating discs, etc. 

We're already seeing that Hasbro has a willingness to attempt a large scale item again - the AT-TE is proof of that.  If it goes over well, then the door might be opened for a whole new realm of items that some of us are dying for.  If it doesn't go over well, then I think that door might be slammed shut - for good.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 02:06 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 05:15 PM »
Dude, it's their job to know what works.

They know their business better than anyone here.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 08:55 PM »
Dude, it's their job to know what works.

They know their business better than anyone here.

Your comment is actually rather ironic, but the correlation I refer to belongs in another section so I won't go into that here.

Onto the topic at hand.

I guess since Hasbro knows their business so well (unless you care to include some of their tremendous flops with the license), collectors can't speculate about things like this or voice their opinions.  ****, what are forums even for then? 

Wow.  It's a damn good thing people never talked about wanting an AT-TE, because Hasbro made it sound like for the longest time that it wasn't coming.  And we all know now thanks to you that Hasbro always knows best.  Because dude, it's their job to know what works.

Oh wait, my bad - collectors did talk about it and say it should be made.  OMG!!  Dude... dude!

Anyways, I never said Hasbro doesn't know their business - they've showed more business sense each year since the launch of the OTC line.  As for the upcoming animated line though... they're taking a risk.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 09:08 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 10:17 PM »

Your comment is actually rather ironic, but the correlation I refer to belongs in another section so I won't go into that here.

Go there. 

****, what are forums even for then? 

****, they're for talking about toys!  I'm just sick of the playset talk ONLY because Hasbro has made it abundantly clear that they're nowhere close to being on the radar.  They tried 'em.  Remember? 

because Hasbro made it sound like for the longest time that it wasn't coming. 

They did?

And we all know now thanks to you that Hasbro always knows best.  Because dude, it's their job to know what works.

I didn't say they knew best - I said they know their business better than anyone here.  If they knew best, their stock price would be through the roof.

But your second statement is correct.  It is their job.

Anyways, I never said Hasbro doesn't know their business -

No, you didn't directly say that - but they way you talk about modular playsets makes it sound like they don't know what they are doing and you're the only one that does.

As for the upcoming animated line though... they're taking a risk.

It's a great license with the best marketing campaign anyone could ask for - a worldwide theatrical release! 

How do you beat that?

You're so stuck in a collector's paradigm it's not even funny.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 03:21 AM »
Go there. 

This isn't the place for it.  Maybe later though, when the time is right and I need a good laugh.

****, what are forums even for then? 

****, they're for talking about toys!  I'm just sick of the playset talk ONLY because Hasbro has made it abundantly clear that they're nowhere close to being on the radar.  

If you're sick about playset talk, why not ignore it instead of adding fuel to the fire?

Regarding what Hasbro's said... can you really take them at their word?  Especially after we were told the upcoming Clone Wars line wouldn't be animated, and then BAM!  Pics show up of an animated style.

They tried 'em.  Remember? 

Not the kind collectors are clamoring for. 

I think this is similar to the mindset that you had with the Hoth turret in the Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack - you didn't think they'd put a new piece in that sort of set and even when pics were available, you still thought it was probably Hasbro's POTF2 version, but modified somehow. 

Also, it seems as though you're comparing the idea of a playset to Hasbro's attempts from the EPI line (a line that also bombed with the figures too, if you recall - the whole line sucked).  People who are asking for this sort of thing aren't asking for the traditional playset that's aimed at the kiddos. 

They did?

Prior to summer of 2007, yes they did.

No, you didn't directly say that - but they way you talk about modular playsets makes it sound like they don't know what they are doing and you're the only one that does.

Can you think of a better format to produce them?  And why do you hate it so much when I voice my opinion?  This isn't the Pit, we're not talking about politics here.  We're talking about Star Wars toys.

It's a great license with the best marketing campaign anyone could ask for - a worldwide theatrical release! 

How do you beat that?

Oh, I'm sure the line will hold its own at first.  But I think you're going to see a substantial part of the market pass on these or lose interest quickly.  Just from what I've heard from other collectors.  My 10 year old nephew saw them too, and said they looked stupid and he didn't want him.  Really.  When he saw them online, he looked like someone just slapped him upside the head - he didn't know what to think.  He's just one kid in a million, but I'm sure a lot of people are going to look at these and not be interested. 

And please keep in mind, it's not like every decision Hasbro has ever made has panned out.

You're so stuck in a collector's paradigm it's not even funny.

Too funny that you think that a collector's view of the hobby isn't healthy for it.  That really is amusing.

Back to the whole reason this discussion began though - based on the idea that the Death Star battle pack could potentially have the Falcon in it, and/or some sort of environment piece...

Please ruiner, if we get a $50.00 Death Star Battle Pack, speculate on what you think could be in it.  I'm sure the rest of the board is mature enough to not jump down your throat if you share your thoughts on what you'd like to see. 

Given that the last two came with something new, such as the Hoth Turret and the Ewok Logs, what other new sort of thing could we see Hasbro come up with?  Both of those are environment pieces, so is it really too far-fetched of an idea to think that a Death Star set could come with an environment piece too? 

Or better yet, think about a $150 set too (though I doubt that's what coming, but given the Falcon rumors, who knows)...  or just do what you've been doing, which is to troll when the word playset pops up.  But these sort of threads are supposed to be enjoyable, not a bitch fest at other collectors for sharing their ideas. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 10:06 AM »

This isn't the place for it.  Maybe later though, when the time is right and I need a good laugh.

Right.  Whenever you're ready to get your ass handed to you, let me know.

Regarding what Hasbro's said... can you really take them at their word?  Especially after we were told the upcoming Clone Wars line wouldn't be animated, and then BAM!  Pics show up of an animated style.

They said the style would not mirror the previous CW animated figures, and they don't.

I think this is similar to the mindset that you had with the Hoth turret in the Hoth Ultimate Battle Pack - you didn't think they'd put a new piece in that sort of set and even when pics were available, you still thought it was probably Hasbro's POTF2 version, but modified somehow. 

Can you blame me?  You know better than anyone else here that they like to repaint larger tools all the time.  I gave you credit when you figured out it was new so don't act like I bust your chops just to bust your chops.

Also, it seems as though you're comparing the idea of a playset to Hasbro's attempts from the EPI line (a line that also bombed with the figures too, if you recall - the whole line sucked).  People who are asking for this sort of thing aren't asking for the traditional playset that's aimed at the kiddos. 

I was referring to the POTF2 sets (Detention Rescue and that other Swing to Freedom dealio).  Let us not forget the modular death star compactor sets as well as the cardboard dioramas, AOTC arena and Mustafar Volcano. 

They have tried sets outside of Episode 1.

Prior to summer of 2007, yes they did.

Link?

Can you think of a better format to produce them?  And why do you hate it so much when I voice my opinion?  This isn't the Pit, we're not talking about politics here.  We're talking about Star Wars toys.

No, I don't think there is a better format that will work at retail.  I don't care if you voice  your opinion - you like dioramas and that's cool, I'm just saying you might want to let this one go based upon Hasbro's CLEAR stance on the subject. 

My 10 year old nephew saw them too, and said they looked stupid and he didn't want him.  Really. 

Makes sense.  I don't know a lot of 10 year olds who still play with toys.  Go ask some 3-6 year olds. 

He's just one kid in a million, but I'm sure a lot of people are going to look at these and not be interested. 

And there are a lot of people who are not interested in Power Rangers, WWE, Pokemon, Ben 10, Spider-Man, Bat-Man, Superman, Transformers, Gi-Joe, etc. and they still command space at retail so I wouldn't worry about it.

And please keep in mind, it's not like every decision Hasbro has ever made has panned out.

The number of successes outnumber the number of failures by a great margin.

Too funny that you think that a collector's view of the hobby isn't healthy for it.  That really is amusing.

It's amusing that now that you're a father (at least that's what I've heard) that you don't even try to look at this market from a parent's / child's perspective.

Please ruiner, if we get a $50.00 Death Star Battle Pack, speculate on what you think could be in it.  I'm sure the rest of the board is mature enough to not jump down your throat if you share your thoughts on what you'd like to see. 

Oh I don't know.  I was interested in the $150 set.  I think if it's a Target Exclusive, I think it will contain the OTC Falcon with a few minor tweaks and some new figs.  Could be a really cool set (in a huge window box) for those who don't already have the Falcon or just want to replace the one they have.  Great idea for kids too who are just getting into Star Wars and don't have access to the most iconic vehicle from Star Wars. 

I also think it makes more sense to release the Falcon in one piece vs. halves.  How would a kid play with a Falcon that is broken in half?  Can you imagine the frustration?

Given that the last two came with something new, such as the Hoth Turret and the Ewok Logs, what other new sort of thing could we see Hasbro come up with?  Both of those are environment pieces, so is it really too far-fetched of an idea to think that a Death Star set could come with an environment piece too? 

I'll give you the turret, but the logs? 

or just do what you've been doing, which is to troll when the word playset pops up.  But these sort of threads are supposed to be enjoyable, not a bitch fest at other collectors for sharing their ideas. 

I'm a troll now because I'm telling you that Hasbro knows their business and that there won't be modular playsets? 

I like some of your ideas and think your customs are pretty darn good - I'm just trying to tell you that if you're trying to push Hasbro to produce modular playsets, you're wasting your time. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 10:11 AM »
I think I'd be pretty surprised to see an all-new (or significantly changed) Falcon in an UBP. 

This is how I feel as well.  With the $100 AT-TE on the shelves, it seems odd that they'd toss a $150 exclusive out there at the same time.  Not that it couldn't happen, but it would be a surprise if it did...

Given the repaints/repacks found in the first two sets, I would expect/hope to see the DS set to contain something like this:
- Vader (whatever sculpt, they are all the same at this point)
- Obi-Wan (OTC Spirit in "real" colors)
- 2x Stormtroopers (vOTC)
- Stormtrooper Han/Luke (movie versions using the vOTC sculpt, finally)
- R2-D2 (Ep3 Preview Droid Sculpt, finally)
- Early Bird Chewbacca (repack)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender