Author Topic: Three new Obi-Wans from EpI, II, and IV!  (Read 4061 times)

Online Rune Haako

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Three new Obi-Wans from EpI, II, and IV!
« on: March 20, 2008, 06:38 PM »
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/hangarbay/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=119&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

1. Hasbro, are there any plans to do an Obi-wan evolutions pack. We are now only lacking a super articulated Episode I Obi-wan to go with our evolutions Qui-gon and Darth Maul. Most importantly though, is the lack of a definitive Episode II Obi-wan. Every version released since 2002-2004 saga collection was rendered sub par by mediocre action features and awkward presculpted poses. While we have had similar comic pack versions released, they have been wearing wrong color clothing or Episode III boots because most have been retools of the Pilot Obi-wan figure, or a solid cloak which restricts articulation. To complete the set, we could use a redo on Episode IV Ben Kenobi. The vintage OTC version was not so satisfactory either, due to straight cut swivel arms that are sculpted oddly, a ridiculously puffy cloak and no knee articulation. Any chance of wish fullfilment this year? Even word of a single carded version of these would be fantastic.

OK, great question. The answer is that an Obi-Wan Evolution set with figures from EpI, EpII, and EpIV *was* on the drawing board for late in the Evo run, but the plug was pulled. Before you get to angry with us, though, it was cancelled for a good reason: the figures are going to be some of the "anchor" figures for upcoming waves in late 2008/early 2009. All three fgures should see the shelves by the end of 2009, in any case.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 06:42 PM by Rune Haako »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Three new Obi-Wans from EpI, II, and IV!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Thanks for posting this Rune.  This was one of the best answers of the Q and A's this week, to me.  Obviously, the TPM and AOTC Obi-Wans are really lacking, and there have been rumors of new ones for awhile - but the news of a new ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi really makes me happy as well.  Hopefully he will be an "anchor" to the ANH wave that is supposed to be coming in the Legacy collection later this year.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:11 AM »
Yes, that is definately great news.  I am looking forward to all 3 of them really, but I really hope the ANH version comes out great.   

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Very good news indeed.  The Obi-Wan figures from these movies have been somewhat lacking.  Especially from THE PHANTOM MENACE.  Figure sculpting and articulation has come such a long way from that 1999-2001 period, and that's when we got the bulk of our EPISODE I Obi-Wans.  Everything since has pretty much been a kitbash.  I'd be very interested in seeing an all new TPM Obi-Wan that's been built from the ground up by the current Hasbro Star Wars team.

The ATTACK OF THE CLONES Obi-Wan will probably be based around the ROTS Pilot figure, but with different paint apps.  A new headsculpt is the obvious difference, as are the boots.

As for ANH Obi-Wan?  That one might prove the trickiest to pull off, given the nature of his Jedi robes.  But if it's done with softgoods similar to the ROTS Agen Kolar, I think it will go over pretty well.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 03:33 PM »
I think that the AOTC Obi-wan and the ROTS one are different enough to warrrent a new sculpt.  I believe that the nuck/collar area is very different on eah.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 10:05 AM »
I'm happy about this news as well. Could be the definitive versions of all three.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 10:32 AM »
In my humble opinion, a soft goods ANH Ben Kenobi should use the material that the VTSC Tuskens had, but dark brown.  The reason is because it conforms so well after the water treatment.  This pic compares the straight out the card Tusken on the right with a water treated one on the left.  There's no other substance on there; it dries to the shape you made for it when wet and stays that way!

Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline bikerscout1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have you now Paploo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 08:23 AM »
i'm late in reading this, but good news!!!
Are you threatening me master jedi?