Author Topic: The Celebration V Speculation Thread  (Read 43898 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: The Celebration V Speculation Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 4, 2009, 02:36 AM »
Now that his Olympic bid failed maybe Obama will make a bid for Chicago to host Celebration V.

:P

I'm sure King Richard has his cronies spending the leftover money from the wasted Olympic bid to bribe Uncle George to bring CV to Chicago.

The question of location of the ideal Chicago convention centers came up. I'll give a brief overview of the two locations just to give everyone an idea of what to expect should CV come to the Windy City...

#1.) McCormick Place - this is a HUGE convention center just south of downtown Chicago, not too far from Soldier Field and the museum campus (Adler Planitarium, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum). McCormick Place has been host to the Chicago Auto Show forever and was once the home of the Summer Consumer Electronics Show when it was open to the public. While gentrification has sprung it's ugly head around this area there aren't that many things for visitors directly by McCormick Place - the city expects out of towners to get hotels in downtown Chicago which is readily accessible by bus, taxi, or rent-a-car via Lake Shore Drive. Now of course there are a ton of things to see and do in downtown after the show all easily accessible by foot, bus, or train, but being the downtown of the 3rd largest city in the country everything will be pricey - food, hotel, theater, etc. If you're flying into Chicago, you'll have to get transportation to downtown separately though not difficultly. If the idea of getting a hotel outside of downtown intrigues you, well the best place would be right by O'Hare airport and if that's the case then you'd prefer we go to location #2...

#2.) The Rosemont Convention Center - is a significantly smaller venue than the McCormick Place but what it has going for it is a centralized location. Being that it's about 2 miles from O'Hare makes it easy for out of towners to readily access the con center and all of the hotels surrounding it. The con center is in a business district, so you have many hotels, office buildings, and restaurants nearby. It's also just right off I-90 so those driving in can get to it easily, and it's 2 blocks away from a train line that takes you right into the city to go do all those touristy things on a lighter budger. The Rosemont Convention Center hosts the yearly Wizard World show and other collector events, often hosting multiple events at once. Though smaller than McCormick Place it should do the trick if the entire building was dedicated to CV.

And now you know...
« Last Edit: October 4, 2009, 02:37 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 4, 2009, 02:59 PM »
I've been to the Wizard World Chicago show at the Rosemont Convention Center a few times.  And I think as far as facilities go, it's definitely smaller than Indy was.  And overcrowding became a serious issue in Indy.  I don't think the Rosemont Center has enough rooms at it's disposal for all of the panels that are a part of Celebration.  The main hall is huge, definitely.  But it's the other facilities in the hall that may not measure up there.  All of that makes me think that if Chicago gets celebration, it would have to be at McCormick Place.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 7, 2009, 08:35 PM »
Chicago is a direct flight for me, but would still prefer Minneapolis for personal reasons. 

But I'm only going if Colman is going.

If you and Colman go, then me and Shannon's shirt are going!

Tracy, wow...I've never seen that photo!  :D Always thought Shannon's shirt was hilarious.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: October 7, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I like it looks like Jesse thought he has going to be a part of that picture. He has a nice smile and is looking right at the camera, and yet he leans so he is halfway out of frame. :P
"This is the way."

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: October 7, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I like it looks like Jesse thought he has going to be a part of that picture.

No, what was actually going on was Jesse was checking me out as I was taking the picture and he got caught on film.  Look close you can just see him thinking, "How YOU doin'?"  :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: October 7, 2009, 09:33 PM »
I liked Jeff's delicate features.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2009, 02:07 AM »
From the front pae of RS:  No Contract Yet For Celebration V

According to Steve Sansweet, a partner contract has not yet been reached for the convention, but should be finalized within the next 6-8 weeks.

Oh good god! 6-8 weeks fricken' weeks! People have holidays to book, get off thy asses!  ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 03:44 AM »
I guess they're hoping you don't have to have your vacation into your boss till late January or so, haha.  Lameness.

Maybe the cities are embarassed to host it?  :-X  :-[  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Well with plans for Louisville in March and Vancouver in July, it's doubtful I'll be going.  Minneapolis/Chicago are probably still doable to some extent but anywhere farther becomes much more pricey flight-wise.  Colman could sway that opinion though (might be cheaper for both of us to wait until I'm in San Diego in December though). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 7, 2009, 09:55 AM »
Saw the news that Baltimore's bid was rejected.  I am not too thrilled about the idea of Orlando, beyond just location. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: November 9, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I'm hearing a rumor it ain't Orlando either though.  Eh, if it's reasonably driveable, I'm going to try my best to go, and if it isn't I'm definitely out.  I'm hearing not Orlando, but we'll see I guess.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2009, 07:09 PM »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2009, 05:59 PM »
Too much stuff going on for me in 2010 so the only way I would be able to attend is if this was back here in SoCal, which I doubt it would be.  I wish I could make it but think that taking an Alaskan Cruise and attending my cousin's wedding is a better idea.  Guess I will have to wait until Celebration 6.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #88 on: December 3, 2009, 04:14 AM »
"Reliable sources" have confirmed Orlando, then again it might just be the same rumor getting regurgitated.

The thought of August in Orlando horrifies me. Last year I was in Tampa in April, and the heat and humidity were already appalling enough.

Oh well, I missed CIV so I've got to drag my carcass out to wherever it ends up being. It's basically an extended weekend so I shouldn't have trouble using two or three days of vacation.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 3, 2009, 05:44 AM »
If it is indeed Orlando, I am not surprised.  Lucasfilm has been building on their relationship with Disney via Star Wars weekends, and there's an update on the way for Star Tours.  If I go, I'll most likely spend the entire week in Orlando and hit at least 2 of the theme parks.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback