Author Topic: Animated OT Figures?  (Read 8719 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Animated OT Figures?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 12:56 PM »
I really, really doubt the OT stuff is going to go animated... maybe they'll dabble in it a bit, but that's not the future of Star Wars collecting.

Great work btw speedermike.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2008, 10:49 AM »
No way. Animated OT would be as stupid as putting PT on vintage style cards.  :-X

It may sound stupid, but then again this from the same company that gave us Force Battlers and Choppers...

I'm still not ruling this out as a possibility for the future of the line. A future that wouldn't include me collecting it and as I've mentioned before, I'm just fine with that. I wonder if Hasbro would be fine with droves of collectors basically giving up? Once year of massive sales losses and they'd either go back to the realistic style or fold the line altogether.

Time will tell. Right now all we can do is speculate.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 1, 2008, 11:33 AM »
I don't see why in the world they'd fold the line.  It's just too profitable for them, and collectors are a huge part of their market... collectors clearly desire the realistic style, so eliminating that format would be a terrible move on their part.  As much as I disagree with them on some things, I don't think they're stupid enough to move the line to animated. 

Sure, we might see an animated subline for a while, but I really doubt it's going to be the "future" of Star Wars... the vehicles in the Clone Wars line are realistic style sculpting, and we know how they love to reissue vehicles; which should give us all a clear indicator that they're not planning on turning the line into a big cartoon.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 1, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Yeah, I think there is a chance - if the CW Animated stuff is successful - that we could see a subline of figures (from OT and PT) done in the animated style.  I'd be fairly surprised if the entire line ever shifted that way.  Hasbro's made some decisions we aren't crazy about, but I don't think they would ever do something like this.  A subline seems more likely, if anything.  Of course, stranger things have happened.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 1, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Gentle Giant started out doing their animated maquette line for Clone Wars, basing the designs on the Tartakovsy Cartoon Network series.  After gauging interest from Clone Wars, they decided to take on the OT as well, with their own animated interpretations of classic characters.  I think in that case it was easier for Gentle Giant to take a chance.  Their clientele is a much smaller market base than Hasbro's.  And they've had some degree of success albeit with limited offerings.

If the Clone Wars animated line is really successful, I can see the potential for Hasbro to dip their toes into some OT offerings.  But based on collector reactions to the Clone Wars animated line since Toy Fair, I don't know how likely it is that Clone Wars will be super successful.  At least the figure line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 1, 2008, 03:12 PM »
... based on collector reactions to the Clone Wars animated line since Toy Fair, I don't know how likely it is that Clone Wars will be super successful.  At least the figure line.

I think Hasbro's point though is that the animated line is geared directly towards kids and NOT we collectors. Kids are the future collectors and if Hasbro sees a spike in sales from the animated line, they may continue for the sake of garnering a whole new generation of collectors. With 10 years left on the contract they (Hasbro) has to do something to keep it interesting for themselves and consumers.

Let's face it (as I've mentioned before in this thread, IIRC) many of we current collectors either are getting burnt out, don't have the room, don't want to collect another whole line, etc. Hasbro is NOT looking to us to continue the line. I'd venture to guess they really want "fresh blood" or in this case fresh greenbacks infused into the buying of their SW toys. Kids and teens will do that. Adults collectors, not so much.

While I do very much want Hasbro to continue with the realistic line, I can't say that there are too many more movie characters I need/want. Plus, I DO think Hasbro is dipping way down the well for some of these obscure figures/characters.

The animated line should it evolve to include the PT and OT would give Hasbro a chance to release the same good old heroes all over again, but in a new style.

It's a risk to be sure, but depending on the sales of this animated line, they may be willing to take it.

Again though, this is all conjecture from us at this time.

-Sal
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 1, 2008, 04:00 PM »
With all due respect Sal, after 30 years of geeks like us being into Star Wars, I don't think Hasbro's even close to writing us collectors off.  I highly doubt that the younger generation is going to ever have the loyalty to Star Wars that we have, and Hasbro has to realize that.  This talk kind of reminds me of what people were saying a few years ago, that after ROTS, the line would die out within a year or two...

I think the future for Hasbro is to continue to develop new technologies into the line with sculpting, articulation, accessories - and expanding into more avenues as well such as more EU.  Animated?  Sure, they're going to work it into the line for a while, but I see it as a subline, nothing more... and I really doubt it's where we're headed overall.  We might see them toy around with a wave or two of OT figures at some point in this style too (but by the current logic, wouldn't there need to be an Animated series going with OT characters too in able for them to go down that road?), but I don't think it will ever be their focus with the license...  Also don't forget that we already know there's the live action TV series coming - and it's not animated.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 1, 2008, 04:05 PM »
Also don't forget that we already know there's the live action TV series coming - and it's not animated.

I don't get it  ???    ;D
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 1, 2008, 04:05 PM »
I highly doubt that the younger generation is going to ever have the loyalty to Star Wars that we have, and Hasbro has to realize that.

That's an interesting point, and something I've often wondered about.  I guess this should probably be another topic, but it does seem like this generation of kids has a much shorter attention span in general with this type of stuff.  Although our interests may have shifted as kids, I don't know that I personally (or my friends) ever totally abandoned something else.  With toylines/toons we liked Star Wars, Joe, Transformers, He-Man, Superheroes, and pretty much stuck with those throughout our entire childhoods (and beyond).  Interests these days with kids seem to shift to whatever movie is big in a given year (Star Wars, Spidey, Batman, Pirates, Transformers, and so on).  Like I said, and interesting topic for another forum, but I wonder if kids these days that are "into" Star Wars really would still be (or come back to it) in their 20s, 30s, and beyond.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 1, 2008, 04:28 PM »
I dunno... I think one of the reasons we were so loyal to those lines is that there weren't all that many options like there were today.  And that goes for more than toy lines... what other entertainment was there for kids then?  Atari, the original NES, and sports?  I kinda jumped around from toy lines after Star Wars, and stuck with one at a time for a couple years before moving on...  and all other toys... I was still loyal to a degree I suppose, but once I got into GI JOE, I pretty much forgot about Star Wars.  And to be honest, I didn't really appreciate Star Wars all that much until the POTF2 line when I was 18. 

It's hard to really compare it to an earlier generation, at least in my opinion, because before Star Wars there really weren't any big toy lines that I'm aware of that were marketed towards kids in such a capacity.  There were other toys of course, but Star Wars seemed to change the entire approach and opened up the toy market.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 1, 2008, 05:09 PM »
With all due respect Sal, after 30 years of geeks like us being into Star Wars, I don't think Hasbro's even close to writing us collectors off.  I highly doubt that the younger generation is going to ever have the loyalty to Star Wars that we have, and Hasbro has to realize that.  This talk kind of reminds me of what people were saying a few years ago, that after ROTS, the line would die out within a year or two...

I think the future for Hasbro is to continue to develop new technologies into the line with sculpting, articulation, accessories - and expanding into more avenues as well such as more EU.  Animated?  Sure, they're going to work it into the line for a while, but I see it as a subline, nothing more... and I really doubt it's where we're headed overall.  We might see them toy around with a wave or two of OT figures at some point in this style too (but by the current logic, wouldn't there need to be an Animated series going with OT characters too in able for them to go down that road?), but I don't think it will ever be their focus with the license...  Also don't forget that we already know there's the live action TV series coming - and it's not animated.

Nno worries Chewie, I for once am actually enjoying this lighthearted debate. No ill feelings bro.
I will say that I was one of those who felt that the line could possible die a few years after ROTS. But then again that was before we knew of the Cartoon/Cartoon movie/live action show. Had I had known then, I would have felt confident about the line lasting longer.
Heck, I wonder if Lucas just didn't think, there's more money to be made on this. So the idea of a cartoon and live action show took hold. Of course that would mean more toy revenues as well.

You're mentioning the OT characters as animated figs without the support of a cartoon show is taken. And that's part of it too. Should the Clone Wars cartoon take off, then who's to say an OT cartoon wouldn't be done? Therefore bolstering the case for OT animated style figures. Right now that isn't the case, but I don't think we can say with certainty that it's not possible.

I totally get that the live action show is forthcoming and would most likely mean realistic style figures from it. However the live action show is still far off and I think it's success is going to hinge quite a bit on the success of the cartoon movie, cartoon show and the toys from it. If any of these "flop" it could spell doom for a live action show before it even gets off the ground.

Again, just hypothesizing.

-Sal

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 3, 2008, 01:58 AM »
animated Ot figures mut be placed in the expanded universe without crosses with the timeline of eps, iv, v and v

Cool, but some animations need a better configuration, example Chewie legs in animated style are too thin.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 3, 2008, 09:33 AM »
No way. Animated OT would be as stupid as putting PT on vintage style cards.  :-X

Love this quote.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jedi_Scum

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 4, 2008, 02:20 AM »

Love this quote.
And yet Hasbro shows interest in putting PT on vintage style cards  :P

In all seriousness, if the Clone Wars Line does well, I don't see why not. They've seen GG's Success with it and I'm sure they're going to follow through. Maybe not in mass quantities - but in small amounts to test the market first. But if they DO come, I would seriously welcome them. Because I like the overall animated look. But facts to be told - I'm still not too keen on MASS collecting the Clone Wars. Not as much as I would with the realistic line.

If the Animated line does well. We can be certain they'd shift their focus onto PT, OT and EU without a doubt.

If it fails - well, they'd produce less. Considering LucasFilms probably would disapprove them droppin the WHOLE line :-X

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 8, 2008, 08:00 PM »
Hasbro doesn't need to "shift its focus" to OT, necessarily.  In Dark Horse's Clone Wars Adventures comics, there was at least one "flash forward" showing Darth Vader in the cartoony style without leaving the look, feel, and timeline they established.

There's no reason that an episode or two of the Clone Wars couldn't involve a flashback or flash forward of some sort, with (for example) Boba Fett finding an artifact in an epilogue, or a veteran smuggler in a cantina telling Han Solo a story from "the good old days."  Or perhaps Luke can tell the students of tomorrow a parable of the past.   TV producers love stunt casting and gimmicks for sweeps.   And Chewbacca's already hanging out on Kashyyyk, so they could just go there and show him. 

The nature of the series allows for original trilogy characters to be integrated into the Clone Wars toy line, and I dunno if any of you watched Young Indiana Jones, but they did find a way to shoehorn Harrison Ford into a bookend story on one episode.  It's absolutely possible (although not necessarily a sure thing) that they're going to find a way to make this happen.  I'd actually be pretty shocked if the whole thing came and went without a Darth Vader of some sort appearing in the cartoons, even if it's some sort of ghostly image of the future.  As they freaking LOVE foreshadowing.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News