Author Topic: Legacy Wave 6 - The Empire Strikes Back  (Read 182149 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Legacy Wave 6 - The Empire Strikes Back (Spring 2009)
« Reply #300 on: April 28, 2009, 09:11 PM »
Oh I know!  The 2nd from the right is a bastion of awesomeness, no?  His grimacing face, diminutive stature...  they scream Hasbro's best work!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 28, 2009, 09:47 PM »
I got my case in from BBTS.com and my Hoth guys are the corrected version with the skirt.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #302 on: April 28, 2009, 10:50 PM »
The skirt thing seems as though it was VERY limited.  That's a good thing for both the folks who got them without skirts and for the rest of us who want them with them on.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Maybe you guys shouldn't be so biased towards short people. Why can't a small person be in the rebel army?  ;)
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13 AM »
I received a set via BBTS yesterday, and I think this is a pretty strong wave overall.  The Hoth soldier is the winner for me as well, and I really like this figure.  Its so nice to finally get a definitive rebel soldier, since most to all of them have been so lacking.  The trooper I received also had the skirt.  There isn't always a lot of focus on the rest of this wave outside the soldier, but really all the figures seem pretty solid to me.  I especially like the Leia figure, and hope that they'll pop a VOTC ANH head on this figure and release that.  This figure seems to improve on the few shortcomings of the VOTC Princess Leia figure (ball jointed elbows in particular).  Needa is also really cool, if for no other reason that it opens up the possibilities to a number of other Imperials in the future.  The Luke is/was a much requested figure, and I have to say that its nice to add one to the collection.  The Ugnaught is pretty nice as well, although a two pack would have been good too.  Even the Emperor is ok for what it is, although its still funny seeing an OT-era Palpatine with a lightsaber.  Really nice wave overall though, and I can't wait to pick up more Hoth troops - just a great figure.  That "history of the Hoth trooper" pic Jayson posted is really indicative of how things have changed in the line over the years.

Oh, also, the Build a Droid U-3PO for this wave is really nice too.  Hopefully we'll see a C-3PO re-do using this body at some point.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:59 AM by Brian »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 29, 2009, 10:28 AM »
I picked up the rest of the wave yesterday. Interesting wave which in general I like. The thing the strikes me is just how re-paint wave this is like.

Luke - Great figure overall. The "belt" is obviously oversized, but the ball jointed hips are a nice surprise although a bit wasted on this figure.

Emperor - I love it. Feel a bit cheated as the only new part is the head, but it works for me.

Needa - What can I say? I'm a sucker for imperials. I hate the Trooper legs and lower torso, and I have an issue with the limited range of motion at the elbows, but, come on, it's Needa.

Leia - another figure that's basically a re-pack with the only new part being the head.

Reb Hoth Trooper - Didn't open this one as I'm waiting for the skirt. Don't know about the bow-legs though.

Ugnaught - Nice little figure.

U-3PO - Awesome. Perfect protocol droid body.

So what, half the wave is kit-bashed?  :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #306 on: April 29, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I picked up the rest of the wave yesterday. Interesting wave which in general I like. The thing the strikes me is just how re-paint wave this is like.

Luke - Great figure overall. The "belt" is obviously oversized, but the ball jointed hips are a nice surprise although a bit wasted on this figure.

The Luke reuses some of the VOTC version (torso, left arm, thighs and ball joint hips) but the forearm, head, shins, feet are are new (obviously the robe is new and he's molded in a more esthetically pleasing skin tone)

Emperor - I love it. Feel a bit cheated as the only new part is the head, but it works for me.

The robe is new I believe as it doesn't have the hood and the plastic hood is new.

Leia - another figure that's basically a re-pack with the only new part being the head.

Leia has new ball-joint arms too versus the VOTC's swivel joints

;)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 11:34 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 30, 2009, 10:25 AM »

The Luke reuses some of the VOTC version (torso, left arm, thighs and ball joint hips) but the forearm, head, shins, feet are are new (obviously the robe is new and he's molded in a more esthetically pleasing skin tone)

The robe is new I believe as it doesn't have the hood and the plastic hood is new.

Leia has new ball-joint arms too versus the VOTC's swivel joints

;)

Oh. Cool. Thanks.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 5, 2009, 11:05 AM »
For any of you who have the skirted and non skirted versions of the trooper... is the non-skirt version something you could make yourself by simply cutting the skirt off? 

I'm trying to decide if it's worth looking for both versions for a loose collection and don't see any reason to buy it twice for a variation that is easily faked with an razor blade.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 5, 2009, 11:19 AM »
For any of you who have the skirted and non skirted versions of the trooper... is the non-skirt version something you could make yourself by simply cutting the skirt off? 

I think you could slide it out pretty easily as its tucked in under the belt. I haven't opened mine up just yet and haven't done much "customizing" of my loose figs, but looks to me like you could cut it out with a small blade. Here's a pic for reference:

That being said, it sounds like the no skirt version is fairly plentiful at this point with online online retailers getting in the with skirt versions. I wouldn't pay any extra for the skirt-free trooper, but if your goal is to get one with and one without, it shouldn't be hard to track down the initial skirt-free release.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 5, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Thanks.  I think my goal was only to track down one of each if it wasn't something that could be faked so easily.  It would make sense to collect as a carded variation but I'll probably just pick up the one with the skirt since I'm done with carded stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #311 on: May 5, 2009, 04:19 PM »
Rob, if you're talking loose...

Just boil the figure, pop his lower body from upper body, and the skirt will remove as one piece easily.  Let the figure cool, and then boil the upper body again and just reinsert the lower body.  If you're talking about faking a carded one, that's a good bit more of a challenge.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 5, 2009, 06:25 PM »
Rob, if you're talking loose...

Just boil the figure, pop his lower body from upper body, and the skirt will remove as one piece easily.  Let the figure cool, and then boil the upper body again and just reinsert the lower body.  If you're talking about faking a carded one, that's a good bit more of a challenge.

Thanks Jesse, but what I was trying to say was that if it was that easy to re-create the variation on your own, I didn't feel the need to buy the figure twice to have the variation. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 5, 2009, 06:39 PM »
Have you ever tried boiled Star Wars figures with spaghetti sauce? Now that's good eating.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 5, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I tore open my skirtless Hoth Rebel, mainly because I had been dying to get this figure. No regrets. :)

Now if I could just find, oh, a hundred more with the skirt. :-X
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!